Start by marking “I Am Maru” as Want to Read:
I Am Maru

I Am Maru

(I am Maru #1)

Maru, the mischievous male Scottish Fold cat, is an international YouTube sensationan adorable ball of fur with a penchant for finding remarkably cozy hiding places. Compiled by Marus owner, the user-named mugumogu, I Am Maru celebrates the unique abilities of this unforgettable feline contortionist with photographs and text, in English and Japanese. Cat lovers everywhere ...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 96 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by William Morrow (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Maru, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Maru

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,454 books — 862 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot
Cat Lovers List
940 books — 444 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of I Am Maru
karen
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-animaux, kittehs
tomorrow maggie gets her biopsy results so i am floating this review so anyone who reads this will be forced to think about her for a second just cuz she's in it so damn much and even if you don't think positive thoughts or prayers or anything, the phenomenon of people simply reading her name will make the results favorable. that's just how it works.

okay, so i am just learning about this maru-cat. i have seen plenty of his escapades on the internet in the past, but i had no idea it was the same
Bonnie
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I had seen the Maru youtube video of this super cute cat running and sliding into a box but I had no idea it was this Maru cat I've heard so much about until this book. It was adorable and I loved it. Maru is a pretty cute cat, although I think my cats could give him a run for his money.

That's Buns.

That's Binky.

They're sisters.

They like to cuddle. Bad camera angle... Binky isn't that fat. Okay, maybe she is.

That's Reindeer Buns.

That's Santa Binky.
Binky REALLY hated her Santa suit. And it
Robert Davis
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Maru is a cat, a Scottish Fold Brown Tabby to be exact. Maru means "Round" in Japanese, which is certainly an appropriate name for this cat. Maru is not a particularity affectionate cat, he doesn't like to cuddle or be held. Maru is a happy go lucky feline, a free spirit who likes to do his own thing, which mainly constitutes sitting in boxes, trash bins and paper bags. If you want to read a book all about a cat, then this is the book about a cat that you would want to read. It will make you ...more
Maya

Yup, I totally read this spent an hour today looking at captioned photos of Maru.
So adorable!

Supernintendo
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would have given this five stars had Maru personally delivered my copy to me. Those are just my exacting standards when it comes to photo books about cats who run blogs.

Seriously though, it's Maru! If you're like me and you love Maru and cats in general, the chances are high that you'll really like this book (especially if you find Maru's blog difficult to navigate even with Google translate switched on) but if you've never heard of or dislike Maru and/or you don't care for cats, buying this
Amanda
Maru is so adorable. I've watched a few of his videos on youtube in the past and thought, they were so cute. This was a fun picture book that had some reposts of the author's blog stories that she wrote during Maru's first year with her. Its a great read for cat lovers and also, if you enjoy the Maru's videos.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Maru book finally coming to the USA!!! available on pre-order. hope it comes in a box!! LOL
Julie
If this book had been solely a book of photographs of Maru, I think I would have given it 5 stars. Maru, the cat, is a natural star. I found myself laughing aloud hard over and over at some of the terrific photos of this cat. I can't say I've ever found myself laughing aloud at a book quite the way I did with this one which is the main reason I gave it the rating I did. Maru is irrestistable and many of his expressions and antics are truly priceless! Kudos to the author for the time spent ...more
Claire
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, I've become a bit obsessed with a Japanese cat named Maru. You can follow his adventures on the web at I am Maru. It's like reading a little picture book each day that always improves my mood.

As for the book, I might've rated it higher if it were physically larger. A lot of the photographs are actually smaller than what I see on the web, but I still rather enjoyed it. Many of the photos are taken from the early days of the blog, new to me, but I'd say mugumogu's photography has gotten better
CrabbyPatty
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Damn, I love that cat and that sweet little face (and I'm not a big cat person at all). My daughter and I used to watch the Maru videos on Youtube CONSTANTLY and it's fun to read more about Maru and see some additional pics, although some of the pics are really SMALL. Just a darling book.
Kyla
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this collection about the internet's most famous cat. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this was so disjointed and unoriginal that I feel cheated. If I'd wanted to see unconnected bits of blog postings and videos, I would've gone to the author's blog or YouTube channel and picked segments and sentences at random. (Sorry, Maru! There's only so much that being cute can do for you.)
First Second Books
Supercalifragilistically adorable? No, it's cute like burning.
Gina
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved learning more about this champion of box sliding.
McGuffy Morris
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Maru is a four year old Scottish Fold cat, in spite of his traditional, upright cat "prick-ears". He and his owner live in Japan. The name "Maru" means "round". When his owner adopted him as a kitten, she felt that everything about him seemed round.

The book is written as if Maru is talking and his owner, as well. It is written in both English and Japanese. Following life with Maru, from kittenhood through the present day, there are numerous photos. We see Maru's many expressions and moods as he
Xanthi
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you love Maru, you will love this book.
If you love cats, but don't know who Maru is, you will like this book...and then check out the Maru video clips on YouTube and then love the book.
I liked how the text and captions were in both Japanese and English. They are brief, and gentle with their humour. It was especially nice to find out some background to Maru the cat and what he is like to live with, beyond what we see in the videos, of course.
The photos themselves made me laugh, smile and say
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Maru!!!

Who doesn't love Maru?!!

Maru is the kitty who became an internet sensation by sliding into boxes. He's awesome!!

In this book we learn about Maru's early days and his love for boxes, bags, sinks, bathtubs, under the couch, on the couch, on the table, in the garbage bin, and loads of other places. We also learn that he can be a naughty kitty sometimes, but how could you stay mad at that face?

If you love Maru then this book is for you.

And if you don't know who Maru then this is a great
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
On May 24, 2007, a little fluffy Scottish Fold kitten named Maru was born. A few short months later, he had become a big fluffy Scottish Fold cat, and was world famous for his propensity for sliding into boxes, a trait chronicled by his housemate mugumogu on YouTube. This copiously illustrated volume in English and Japanese reveals the feline superstars private life, from his complicated relationship with bags (a bug once bit him on the nose when he was investigating one, so now he treats them ...more
Jen
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, you don't really read this. It's more of a picture book with some cute captions and lots of pictures of Maru. Some of them are his kitten pictures. This is a must for fans of Maru's You Tube videos.
Kristine Hansen
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
If you've followed Maru at all on Youtube then you know what to expect from this book. Mostly just a random collection of pictures and very little text, this is a quick book to wander through, but left a smile on my face regardless.
Vanessa
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What can I say? This is a super cute book, with funny adorable pictures of Maru the internet-sensation cat throughout. And the outside cover opens up into a poster! It does what it says on the tin. Perfect for cheering me up on a down day!
Izlina W Ibrahim
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Fluffy thing
kimberly
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
ridiculously adorable.

but best in video form to show off his skillz!
Clodjee
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
C'est un livre de table tout à fait charmant. L'auteur explique un peu l'histoire de ce scottish fold tigré marron à chaussettes et gants blancs, né le 24 mai 2007. Il lui donne la parole et lui fait raconter de nombreux anecdotes sur sa vie de félin, ses lubies, ses coups de coeur. Bon, les textes n'ont pas vraiment d'importance puisque ce sont les photos qui font le charme de ce livre illustré. Ce chat est vraiment mignon. Je suis sûr que vous craquerez pour lui.

Voir mon commentaire complet
Sami
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Maru?
I think the entire world has seen this cat at least once on the internet. If you managed not to yet....how?
He's a fun, fluffy, round, cat who loves all things boxy. His ever-mysterious human, mugumogu put together this little book showcasing this little YouTube star for the world to enjoy. It's a light read, fun, funny, full of pictures, and narrated by the fluffy furball himself. The dual language is great for those learning and practicing Japanese. Fun for everyone.
Alissa
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars overall, because the text was kind of boring....but One Million Heart-Eyed Emojis for Photo Cuteness (because Maru is beyond adorable and I want to hug him and squeeze him and hold him and love him and make him my very bestest friend forever and ever and ever!)

This was a good distraction to browse through while on break these past couple days.
Andrea AE
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An unique book of 90 pages with images and text in english and japanese about the great Youtube sensation. If you're a fan of Maru or kittens, you'll love this book just like I did. It's so fun and beautiful.
Karen
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
If you love cats this is a cute book for you. Nice photos and a little bit of commentary about Maru's housecat exploits. I recommend the youtube videos though. It is more fun to watch Maru scooting about in his boxes than seeing still photos of it.
Kolie Heyer
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for Maru fans. I love the pictures, the captions, and just learning more about him. I give this book five stars because Maru makes me smile, and I never get tired of watching him dive into a box.
Beverly
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maru, the male Scottish Fold cat, is an adorable ball of fur with a penchant for finding remarkably cozy hiding places. I Am Maru celebrates the abilities of this feline contortionist with photographs and text, in English and Japanese. Cute and a short read
Greg
Mona
Jul 28, 2011
Jenny
Aug 08, 2011 marked it as to-read
If you've never watched Maru on youtube or Cuteoverload.com you're in for a treat!
Ange
added it
Aug 08, 2011
Amy
Mandy
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I <3 Maru, but I like the blog more. -1 point for over editing and -1 point for video stills
Evan
Aug 25, 2011

• Breaking Cat News: Cats Reporting on the News that Matters to Cats
  • Cat vs Human
  • The Joy of Cookies: Cookie Monster's Guide to Life
  • The Grumpy Guide to Life: Observations from Grumpy Cat (Grumpy Cat Book, Cat Gifts for Cat Lovers, Crazy Cat Lady Gifts)
  • Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Grumpy Cat: No-It-All: Everything You Need to No
  • I Am Pusheen the Cat
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • In a Field of Blue
  • Dimentica il mio nome
  • Qualcosa sui Lehman
  • L'elenco telefonico degli accolli
  • Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1)
  • Notti in bianco, baci a colazione
  • Un polpo alla gola
  • Grazie per quella volta. Confessioni di una donna difettosa
  • Ogni maledetto lunedì su due
mugumogu is the online username for Marus owner. She and Maru live in Japan.
Source: http://www.harpercollins.ca/authors/3...