Start by marking “Tins” as Want to Read:
Tins

Tins

A highly entertaining and hilariously gruesome comedy thriller - beans on toast will never be the same again!
Published November 30th 2010 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tins

Start your review of Tins
Scope
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If youre anything like me (and I suppose you probably are - I mean, were both into books, right?) you look at the bargain bin at your local supermarket with mistrust. Questions may start to pop into your head upon glimpsing this oddest of grocery store curiosities:

Why are all those things in there? Baby food AND cologne on the same shelf? They shouldnt be that close. An whats with that bag of off-brand Oreos? They look fine I wonder whats wrong with them?

But these are just passing thoughts.
Jen
May 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I just didn't buy what this book was selling. It couldn't decide whether it was serious or quirky/funny, and most of the plot "twists" were so contrived I either saw it coming from a mile away or didn't believe that it would ever happen. It seems like lately the publishing industry puts all their energy into interesting cover images and cool titles.
And the reasoning behind the finger ending up in the can by itself was so ridiculous! It was obviously something that the editor picked up on at the
Addie
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Canned is a wonderful book about a boy named Fergal Bamfield who lives in England and collects cans. Yes, unlabeled, silver cans from the bargain basket at his local supermarket. His collection started with one can and ended up with fifty cans! (His mother got very annoyed with his hobby more than once in the story!) Fergal finds some very gross, creepy, and weird things in the cans that he opens. (I won't tell you what he finds because that would ruin the story!) While at the supermarket with ...more
Raina
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j, realistic, funny, mystery
Funny, funny, funny book. The first half of this is full of hilarious depictions of a boy in England. Fergal (yes, that's his name) is thought to be clever. Primarily because of how he looks -

"His unruly hair stuck out at all angles and could never be tamed, not even with a pot of gel. And then there were his glasses, which not only enlarged his eyes, but somehow had the effect of making his very head (and by implication his brain) seem bigger than it really was... The general rule seemed to be
Mary
May 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This juvenile mystery starts out on an interesting note: Young Fergal Bamfield - who people describe as clever - has decided to collect cans as a hobby. Not antique cans or cans with foreign labels; rather, Fergal collects label-less cans from the bargain bin at the grocery store. After opening one particularly light can, Fergal discovers within an earring. Several more interesting, but disgusting, findings follow. Fergal also discovers a friend who collects the same type of can. Here the story ...more
Luka
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(review written from the perspective of an 8th grader in 2013)

Fergal's just another odd kid who collects cans -unlabeled cans- instead. But as he collects a can, he finds a message. Then a bodypart, a finger. Mysteries overflows him and wondering sensations circles around him. It's a great modern mystery book with unique characters. And yes, the plot twist. The plot twist in the end, and the discoverance of the mysterious meanings really just thrilled me. I rate this book 5/5 and it deserves so.
Jaden Hackett
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book, someone parts were a little wired, but most of it was good. I found it very interesting. Its about 2 kids that start collecting cans, named Fergal and Charlotte.
Hannah
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept of a boy who starts collecting cans in order to preserve his reputation as a quirky genius... and then finds more than he bargained for when he discovers an (view spoiler) It was at this point that the story started to take a turn that felt all wrong tonally... the book started feeling like it was going to be a coming-of-age story, a bit tongue in cheek and a bit of adventure, and then this macabre twist comes out of nowhere, ...more
Addison Children's Services
Fergal's mother insists he get a hobby. So Fergal begins collecting cans, the kind the grocery store puts in the bargain bin because they have no labels. His parents are not too pleased with this hobby, especially when he never opens them, but prefers to savor the mystery. After Fergal's parents issue an ultimatum �?? no more cans until he opens some �?? and Fergal finds a can that feels empty save for a soft rattle he decides to open one up. A gold post, from an ear. The next can he opens holds ...more
Kstewart5362
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle-school-aged guys
Recommended to Kstewart5362 by: review
Snappy, quick British read which would appeal to those who love books like Millions, by Frank Cottrell Boyce. Here, Fergal is an odd sort who stumbles upon an interesting hobby--collecting cans--which leads to an interesting chain of events including meeting a girl, Charlotte, with a similarly unique interest in cans. If you read this, you'll never look at cans without labels in quite the same way...
Menna
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Nice and such a light read but it was too childish for me
vAleRiE
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
really trilling and lots of question will pop in your mind while you are reading.
CarolineDearman RDNG4130
Nur Amiera
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amiera
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it so INTERESTING!! 👏
I enjoyed the storyline even though Im hoping that Mr and Mrs Dimble-Smith had been caught up by the police but the ending in the mixer was much more satisfying.
Kudos to the writer for bringing suspenses, enjoyment, sadness, relief and some other emotions that I could not describe more. 💯
If only the parents belief in them maybe things will get easier. I literally cry and scream alone by myself Why wouldnt you trust your child?! when Im reading this. 😭

All the opening
Christi
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, childrens
Read this book with my 10 year old son. I found I REALLY wanted to know how a body parts ended up in cans. Although at times is was a little challenging for my sone due to the use of different words we do not use in the states. We figured out what each word meant. It was a fun book. My son said he would recommend to everyone (unless you are squeamish). Interesting concept for sure a great read! Even the ending was a little bit of a surprise. We enjoyed this book! I don't know if I would have ...more
Jessica
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A boy finds a one-word message -- HELP! -- sealed in a tin can and is sucked into a thrillingly gruesome adventure.

Fergal Bamfield doesn't collect stamps like normal kids. He's an oddball (his mother prefers to call him "clever"), and his collection is as strange as everything else about him. Fergal Bamfield collects tin cans.

Then one day he finds a can without a label. What could be in it? Peaches, soup, perhaps revolting spam? But instead it's something else...it starts with an earring then
Dave Robert
Mar 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is awful. The two main characters have the exact same personality and are cardboard cut outs of each other. There are only four locations in the entire book and it barely scrapes the surface of this weird story is even taking place. If you ask me that is extremely lazy and leaves you asking lots but you don't want to find out because you would have to read another terrible book. The book has good suspense but it builds you up to let you down. The beginning is the only part that isn't ...more
Ethan Smith
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Canned, written by Alex Shearer, is a mystery book about a kid named Fergal who finds random things in multiple cans. Fergal decided he wanted to start collecting cans. When he picked up a can from under the bin he shook it around and it was heavy. He brought that can home and then he opened it and was astonished to find something very disgusting. I did enjoy the book because it built up a lot of suspense before they finally told you what was going on with the items in the can. By Ethan Smith
Benjamin Uy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there are two things I like in a book, it is unique characters and a great plot. Alex Shearer's Canned fits with this description as it has two of their characters, Fergal and Charlotte, (oddly enough) sharing a hobby of collecting cans. The book becomes even more interesting as both Fergal and Charlotte discover human parts inside cans, and from further investigation, the book progresses into a deeper, darker plot...
Noah
Jul 02, 2019 added it
Kat!e Larson
Quirky, mysterious, and morbid. I loved this book as a kid and enjoyed it as an adult. My only real complaint is that Shearer's writing is so redundant it makes me want to tear my hair out. He uses a half dozen similies to describe one simple thing, repeats information, and rambles like crazy. It feels like this book was written stream-of-thought and never edited.
Codyburk
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i would recomend this book becasue he trys to make room for more cans but his arents tell him he cant and he does prove his parentss wrong. one part in this book that i like the most is that he keeps going out and looking for more cans. the genre is mystery, I really like mystery becasue like it says all the stuff in the book is a mystery and they have to find like who did it or what happend who took the item all that stuff seems intresting for me.
Nell
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid, enjoyable mystery that gets quite grisly at the end, which I could see leading to interesting parent child conversation. Loses a star for me because all of the adults are terrible.
Teresa
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was young and liked it. Very gruesome and intriguing.
Aileen Humphreys
Read for school under UK title, Tins. An odd but humourous novel for young readers. The lead character Fergal is simultaneously relatable and alienating in this quirky story.
Jeanette Burt
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About 9 years we read most of this in school, the book never erased from my memory and I had to read the end. It brought back nostalgic memories, I am glad I purchased and finished the book.
Aidan
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-quarter
it was very exciting and interesting i liked it a lot
TINSTHEBIGBAD
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is bad. Like, seriously bad. So bad I felt physical pain reading it. I've never been this disgusted by anything in my life
Mrs. Fisher
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
What's the Name o...: Boy collects cans with body parts in them? [s] 9 65 Feb 22, 2014 01:27AM
Canned letter 1 1 Nov 10, 2012 07:32AM

• Going Solo (Girl Online, #3)
  • On Tour (Girl Online #2)
  • Toffee
  • The Boy No One Loved
  • Kensuke's Kingdom
  • Moving Day (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #1)
  • A Boy Without Hope
  • The New Girl (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #2)
  • Judy Moody, Book Quiz Whiz
  • Best Friends and Drama Queens (Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls, #3)
  • Swindle (Swindle, #1)
  • Toshiden: Exploring Japanese Urban Legends Vol. 1
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • A Keeper
  • 貴族探偵対女探偵
  • Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1)
  • Frindle
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
Alex Shearer started his writing career as a scriptwriter and has had great success in that field. His credits include The Two of Us, the 1990s sitcom starring Nicholas Lyndhurst. More recently he has started writing for children. His Wilmot stories have been adapted for TV by Yorkshire television, and his children's novel, The Greatest Store in the World, was screened as a feature length TV film ...more