Start by marking “Seeing the Elephant (Wildflowers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seeing the Elephant (Wildflowers, #1)

Seeing the Elephant

(Wildflowers #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  631 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
* * * * *Re-released as Finding Her Way, revised, rewritten and professionally edited.

After three long years of separation Corinne Temple is heading West to see her father again. She marries Andrew Temple the day she leaves for the Oregon Trail. He is a family friend but far from friendly. Her third generation knowledge of healing herbs makes her an asset to the wagon trai
Published May 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Seeing the Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing the Elephant

Jean Lawrence
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book

I chose this rating because it kept my interest. I didn't want to put it down. Every chance I could I picked it up and read it.
Leah Banicki
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A fast moving, family friendly adventure. From sea to shining sea. Explore young America with Corinne Temple, a young woman who learns how to face her challenges bravely in Seeing the elephant.
The new edition is now available and the grammatical issues have been addressed. I hope you enjoy the journey. ~ Leah
Kathy
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I live in Wyoming not far from the Oregon Trail and loved reading about the settlers as they went thru the various places along the trail. The author had completed her research very well and it was factual to events and places. As for the people in the book, very real. I would like to read other books from Leah Banicki
India
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Setting off on the Oregon Trail with a cold fish of a new husband seemed like the least of her worries but as the gruelling journey begins Corinne realises just what she’s taken on. She quickly immerses herself in her new role without support or love from her uncaring husband and she soon realises that her skills as a healer are in need but will the man who made it possible for her to travel block her from helping her friends and neighbours?
Corinne is a strong protagonist with a kind heart and t
Kim Boutell
Could have been good

This book could have been so many things but just kept missing the mark. First, it is full of grammatical errors and was obviously am written in first person and (poorly) changed at the last minute. There are several spots where it is both. A good editor, or friend to read through, would have been smart.

Second, the story lacked the right details for an Oregon Trail story. There were a few good scenes (finding the Indian tribe, river crossings, painting Independence Rock), but
Alyssa
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jannete Oke fans
********************** I WON THIS ON GOODREADS *******************************

This book has AMAZING potential. I love the characters, the dialog, the story line, the history, EVERYTHING.

The ONLY thing this book needs is a good editor and the right publisher.

This book is right on track to be worthily compared to a Jannete Oke book. And that's the exact shelf it will go on in my home library, right next to the Jannete Oke books. (After I pass it around to a few friends :o)

And the only thing that
Greta Burroughs
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her novel "Seeing the Elephant," the effort Leah Banicki put into researching the lives and times of the brave souls traveling the Oregon Trail is very evident. Her decriptions of the route, scenery, difficulty and perseverance of the people looking for a new life "out west" make the book a very intriging read.

The characters are clearly defined and the action is fast faced which makes for a captivating story. There are some grammatical issues and misspellings but the errors do not take the re
Joan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is supposed to have been professionally edited. Unfortunately, the writing is riddled with errors: missing words, changes in tense, changes to first person pov from third. There was little to the story other than Corinne's miserable journey. Many chapters followed the same structure - Corinne waking up, dealing with what the day brought and then the chapter ending with her going to sleep. There was insufficient conflict to keep me reading and I dnf'd at 36%.
Patricia Strefling
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read Seeing The Elephant and was immediately pulled into the story. It is a well-researched novel written in the 1800s. The author takes us back to real-time with a story about how a woman must make her own way. Her dreams, her mistakes, and her experiences. Even with some grammatical issues, the book is a good read! Especially for those who love historical time period.
Laurel Anne
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of the first books I've read about the western wagon trails. Very interesting and told from a very good perspective.
Dana
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved this one!
Jeffery B.
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fact paced action, adventure. Never a dull moment, a quick and fun read.
Skeeter Jorgensen
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I love stories about wagon trains and the hardship, love and adventure. I am afraid I would have made a very poor pioneer, but I enjoy the books.
Emma
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story was really fun and I was never bored. I felt like I traveled the trail with the characters. I love getting to travel through history with a good book.

Rosalyn
This is one of those books that I really wish I could give a higher star rating.
I was given the privilege to listen to the audio version of this book.
I liked the overall story. It held my attention.
It happens in the 1840s, a young girl is forced in to a marriage of convenience so that she could make the long and difficult journey westward, traveling with a wagon train, to meet her father, who was already in Oregon.
She marries a complete stranger, Andrew. Imagine how that must have been!
The point
Zena
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and learned a lot about the hardships suffered through and endured by those leaving the comfort of their homes and easy existence of their entertaining lives.
The way this story is written I felt as if I was experiencing all that was happening and sometimes it made me cry and at others laugh but all the while I was eager to find out what was going to happen next.
The main character is such a knowledgeable young lady and in her favor she is very willing to teach othe
Maria  Dewaik
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When her mother died, her father's grief was so great he decided to head out west to start over. Corrine was so upset that he wanted to forget about their home she decided to move in with her high society Aunt in Boston, but she wasn't happy longed for the days of living on the farm with her father. When she received word from him that he had arranged for a young man to marry her and escort her across the Oregon Trail to join him, she was overjoyed. The trail is long and dangerous. The marriage ...more
J
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok, but anachronisms drive me nuts in a historical fiction. Stetson styled his first cowboy hat in 1865. Most men wore bowler hats in the West, prior to that. Certainly a man leaving Boston for the West in 1848 would probably not be wearing a cowboy hat. That anachronism came at an early point in the book and left me wondering for the rest of the book if I should try to research more historical data in the book. As for the romance aspect of the book, it was rather reserved, even fo ...more
Ashley Hathaway
Writing style takes some getting used to. Sentences seem awkward, long, and somewhat garbled. Serious need for an editor! But, after reading the notes in the end, I realize this story may not have started out in English as there are "foreign" language options also available. I'd be happy to edit this version as I find the story compelling, the characters full of individuality, and the Western frontier rich with description. Leah paints a truthful yet delightful picture of the harsh realities man ...more
Robert Stevenson
A "Life-Line" in History

The story of these brave souls who were so instrumental in the settling of our country provided me with hours of inspiring reading. I cried, laughed, cried some more, and then felt total peace as God's plans for these brave people came to be. It was ironic that we were driving from our Wyoming residence to our winter home in Southern California as I was reading about the wagon train progressing over the Oregon Trail. Much of the terrain we traversed reminded me of the wag
Kathi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story if wagon train romance.

I love the strong woman character. The medicinal teachings passed down from the women in her family shows a lineage of healing grace. She is forced to marry by society so she can travel to her Father. The husband is so unkind to her and she almost loses herself. When he dies there is not much remorse. She actually blossoms without the tyranny of her husband by name only. Then she finds true love, acceptance, and a growing desire of building a business. Back
Diana Barton
Good story, needs editing.

The first few pages seemed quite choppy, but quickly smoothed out into an enjoyable story. I promptly fell in love with Corinne, the main character.
The book continues to stutter in places, however, and break the mood of the story.
In several places poorly revised sentences or awkward phrasing left me confused. In others, the story would jump into and out of first person. And a good human proofreader is essential. Spell check cannot catch some things. For example, vial is
Susan P
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been good, but I couldn't get past all the grammatical errors. The first tip for any writer should be to pass a high school English class or at least to hire a proofreader. What does "grasping at the will to concur the rugged land" even mean? Think of the difference in meaning if one writes "verses a week" instead of "versus a week." The book is filled with those types of errors, in addition to myriad run-on sentences and missing commas. I can't believe I actually finished i ...more
Denise
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

This was a great historical fiction/fact book. The characters were vibrant. The plot was true. I enjoy historical books such as this where I can follow progress on maps in my atlas. Often when I cross the Mississippi and Missouri rivers I wonder what the original settlers thought from their wagons. I hope to read many more books like this and do recommend this to all readers.
Karen Reeves
I've always liked the wagon adventures to the west so I decided to read 'Finding Her Way'. It was an adventure that started out realistic but seemed to loose that realism for me. The good people were overly good and the bad were overly bad. The point of view changes too often and got in everyone's head. That was annoying for me. BUT, it was good enough to finish reading and I liked Corinne.
elaine m. suda
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Way Home

Thank you for this heartwarming and heartwrenching story about Corinne and all the obstacles she had to overcome in her journey to be with her father. I love the stories about the pioneers that battled their way across the plains to reach the Pacific coast. Without their hope, faith and trust in God their dreams would never come true. I look forward to reading more of your work.
Jean Holtof
I liked the story of Corinne Temple and her journey from Boston to Oregon. It was filled with adventures that could be considered too challenging to undergo, but how does one know when 'choosing' the way to a better life. On the other side of the story was the poor editing that was a big distraction and led to a lesser rating than I would have given otherwise.
Debbie Scott
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT WESTERN ROMANCE STORY

So much history portrayed that it feels like you are on the wagon train headed to Oregon yourself. The storyline and characters are superb, you give us such a great choice of heroines, heroes and villains. Thank you for a very written and engaging story. Danny Scott.
SMHuey
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was extremely difficult to finish...

The writing here seems to be at a lower reading level... the majority of sentences contain 5-10 words. There are too many abbreviation and grammar errors to mention. I considered abandoning this book from at least the 30% point forward. Unfortunately, I did not-- and it did NOT get better.
Jenna Scherdell
Lots of potential here, but not yet polished. For someone with an editor's eye, the many typos and grammatical errors were distracting and I was tempted to discontinue - BUT I did want to know how everything would play out for Corinne and was satisfied with the happy (even if generally anticipated) ending.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 3 87 Mar 15, 2013 02:37PM
What does Seeing the Elephant mean? 1 4 Aug 19, 2011 11:52PM
Who is your favorite Character in Seeing the Elephant? why? 1 3 Aug 19, 2011 12:33PM
Did any of your ancestors travel the Oregon trail? 1 4 Aug 19, 2011 12:25PM
  • A Dream Unfolding (Prescott Pioneers, #1)
  • Darlin' Druid (Texas Druid, #1)
  • Dark Warrior: To Tame a Wild Hawk (Dark Cloth, #1)
  • The Heart of a Soiled Dove (Soiled Dove, #1)
  • Heartbreak Trail
  • Chasing Clovers
  • Druid's Daughter (Garland of Druids, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • The Bride Price (Civil War Brides, #1)
  • Mary Jane 2 (Spider-Man) (Bk. 2)
  • Colby's Child
  • T'on Ma
  • The One (Chloe Gamble, #1)
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • The Bearwalker's Daughter
  • Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)
  • A Lady in Defiance (Romance in the Rockies #1)

Wildflowers (4 books)
  • Angela's Hope (Wildflowers, #2)
  • Daughters Of The Valley (Wildflowers, #3)
  • The Watermill (Wildflowers Book, #4)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Please just call me Clive. My Ma called me ‘sonny.’ My brother called me crazy, and my Pa called me names I can't repeat in front of the ladies present." Clive reached for Corinne's hand and gave it a genteel kiss. She responded with a grand curtsy.” 0 likes