Start by marking “Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Understanding Exposure...

Bryan Peterson

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  5,196 Ratings  ·  430 Reviews
Both a practical sourcebook and an inspiring collection of superb photographs, this book reveals the critical details for creating unforgettable pictures in this popular medium.
Published August 1st 1990 by Watson-Guptill Publications (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Exposure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Exposure

Julia
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-list
A true teacher and entertainer, Bryan Peterson writes as if he were walking students through a fun lecture course on photography. He introduces phrases that he uses again and again so that you, the student, start to fill in the answers before he finishes; he explains tricky technical details through memorable metaphor; he ties theory to his own photography, showing us just where he took his metering, and why. Halfway through the book you feel like a second semester student filling in all the jok ...more
John
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few thoughts:

1) Not the fault of the book, but I knew much (maybe 50%) of the material already.

2) It has beautiful photos, with explanations on how each was made. This was very useful.

3) The writing is lousy, with silly and unhelpful analogies. ISO is like buckets under a running water faucet? And stupid attempts at humor or something resembling it: the author doesn't eat donuts, but he does eat bagels and so will sometimes use a ring flash. Get it? Bagels are round and a ring flash is round
Meghan
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down! I read almost all of it in one sitting. I am a very amateur photographer and I learned so much from this book. I learned the value of the manual setting and how to properly use it. I learned from where to meter light. I had no idea there was a problem metering light from black and from white images. I learned many insights into creatively composed images and how to make them. Very informative and well laid out. Easy to understand.
Russell Libonati
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book for beginners. It's also a great book for the more experienced. It is useless for a pro or advanced amateur photographer. The author gives a very easy to understand method for getting the correct "creative" exposure on any camera. He explains the three most important aspects and how to use them. They are ISO, aperture and shutter. He explains white balance. He explains the use of the flash. He tells you how to meter. He really helps get you out of using the "Auto" mode ...more
Jane
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My husband bought me this book after I got my new bridge camera. I would not be without this 'bible', it is my centre of reference. I wanted to improve my skills as an amateur photographer and bought the camera for the zoom and many other options but I was a complete beginner. I have learnt so much from this wonderful guide and my photography has improved a lot. I am quite happy using manual mode, aperture, shutterspeed, playing with picture size, white balance to name just a few functions.
My da
Kae Cheatham
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I purchased Understanding Exposure from a book catalog to which I subscribe. I have a small collection of photography books, mostly information-related, and this seemed like a good one to add to the shelves.

This is Bryan Peterson's Revised Edition, with the subtitle of "How to Shoot Great Photographs with A Film of Digital Camera." I shot film for many decades, and switched to digital just a few years ago; I was ready for some more tips on how to get the best from my pixelated (maybe pixilated :

James
Understanding Exposure is regularly touted as the bible for understanding exposure; I guess it's lucky that Peterson titled the book as he did. I've had my copy for a while now – a generous Christmas or birthday present some years ago – and had kinda delayed even looking at it; somehow expecting some weighty tome of technical explanations. The subject is one that I pretty much felt I already had a good handle on – especially after the excellent (but sadly no longer available) article by Ryan Bre ...more
Amy
I really liked this book. I have an expensive camera that I don't know how to use effectively so this book was perfect for me! I was able to read it in one sitting and was kept interested throughout! After the read, I feel much more confident in using my DSLR. I'm obviously an amateur and I think this book is perfect for amateur's who want to better understand the manual mode of their DSLR. This book lays it out so effectively! I now better understand aperture, shutter speed, and white balance! ...more
Adam
Feb 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning SLR photographers
This is easily the best introductory photography book I've ever read. It was a great refresher for the photography stuff that I've forgotten over the last 15 years, full of concise, easily understood explanations of useful photographic techniques. Some of the writing is corny, and the mnemonic devices get old pretty fast, but I'd still recommend it to anyone who wants to learn the basics of shooting with an SLR.
Alireza Sahafzadeh
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
این کتاب نیز مانند اثر دیگر این نویسنده (دید خلاقانه در عکاسی) برای بخصوص شروع عکاسی یا کسانیکه میخواهند جدی تر به عکاسی نگاه کنند جذاب خواهد بود مطالبی درباره دیافراگم، شاتر ، تراز سفیدی، نورسنجی، حساسیت سنسور و حتی چگونگی عکاسی پنینگ و اچ دی آر در این کتاب جمع آوری شده و نویسنده بخوبی درباره آنها بحث کرده و مطالب خود را با عکسهایی که برای مثال آورده ارزشمندتر کرده است.
Ryan McCormack
I wanted to give this book four stars, but came up one stop short. It is by turns incredibly illuminating then completely opaque. I definitely have a much better understanding of exposure after having read it, so in that sense, it's a rousing success. But getting there could have been a better journey. A few thoughts / criticisms:

1. No infographics: A few well-chosen illustrations could help make a lot of things clearer. One example would be a handy-dandy reference diagram that shows a 1-stop (o
Nigel
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
I've been an occasional photographer for years, with some serious spells however I've taken it far more seriously for something over 10 years now. For many years I found "exposure" rather haphazard both in my knowledge and in the images I took. In the past 10 years I've learnt a lot from a variety of sources. Had I found then it this book would have been a useful part of that learning. This book has a good introduction to the subject and the language is sensible and accessible in the main.

Lookin
Nicole
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides the basics of shooting in manual mode and getting good exposures in a consistent fashion. Peterson clearly explains how the elements of your camera work together to produce different kinds of "creative" exposures, rather than the "correct" exposure you would get if you left it in Auto mode all the time. I did learn quite a bit from the book, and several things were clarified and I am no longer clueless about Manual mode.

However--

Peterson himself seems to be an "aperture first
Joshua Rief
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Understanding Exposure" is a must read for anyone venturing into the world of SLR photography for the first time. The 2010 update completely addresses, and, indeed, primarily focuses on, shooting digitally. Both Canon and Nikon are handled individually, while other notable manufactures get a mention here and there as well. Most surprisingly, within only the first 30 or 40 pages, I was able to shoot in full manual mode, and compose photographs that, while not prize-winning, were in focus and exp ...more
Keanna (KeyReadThat)
*I requested from Blogging For Books*

Sharpening Skills
I always want to be better at photography and always wanting to sharpen my skills which is what this book has helped. I've picked up some new skills and a lot of things I had questions about and a LOT of things I didn't know. I will going back to review some things over when I forget.
Nick Frolov
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't go to the photo course, read this book instead.
If you like me had on and off relationships with cameras and want to finally understand better what's going on and how to make the picture you want, that should be good book for you.
Though If you already sophisticated in light-meters and exposure-triangles, then it is not your book ;)
Hirondelle
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Been a while since i read this, but I remember it as being a very clear, enthusiastic and inspiring take on photography. Since exposure is so very crucial to all photography, this book is a much wider-ranging guide to all of photography than one would expect from just the title.
Brendan
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much a must have for learners. I feel like I know how to use my dSLR a lot better now. Only criticism is that he used some terms without explaining what it meant until 2/3s of the way through the book.
Natalie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for beginner photographers. Very easy to read and understand. If you just got a digital SLR and need some direction, this is the best place to start!
José Fonseca
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice introduction to anyone who wants to know more about photography technique basics. Very well laid out, clear explanations mixed with personal experience and illustrated with image examples, and without being excessively technical for the lay reader. Its the perfect book to start shooting a camera in Manual mode, and the perfect starting point to read other more complex books on photography.

However, I give it 4 stars, since there are some technical imprecisions throughout the book, i.e. at
Andy Lagerstrom
Not the type of thing I usually read, but I picked this up because I'm getting back into photography after a long time and felt like refreshing myself on the basics. And that's what this is, really. Basics. I didn't care for the guy's writing. I found his attempts to turn his photos into little stories irritating, when simple metadata would have been sufficient. Found it especially irritating when he keeps reminding us, "That's my wife!" over and over again. It's also pretty dated, lingering on ...more
AT
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in a very colloquial style which will be helpful to some readers. Each photo has a detailed description of the pre-shutter decision process which is nice. The book is breezy to the point where I'm not sure how actually helpful it will be, and some of the explanations (e.g. matrix metering) veer so far into odd analogies that they totally miss the facts of the matter. Best purchased along with a more detailed text.
Diego Hermosillo
Great book, I read it when I didn't even had my camera, so when I bought it, it was pretty easy to understand the values, but of course, you will learn more by practicing.

I would recommend this book to beginners since it develops themes, with great photographs as examples, and explains themes in a way it's easy to understand
César Terrazas
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm starting with photography. Although I already knew some stuff about exposure, this book gave me some useful tips to take pictures. I like that it has some example pictures with an explanation about why an specific aperture, speed shoot and ISO were selected. Some author personal opinions are described in the book and some readers can disagree about them but in general it is a good book.
Fauzi Garib
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely essential reading for the amateur enthusiast!
Sameer Madamaiah
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
👍👌🏼😎
Jeff Pullinger
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changed my photograph immediately. for the better, and also made it all a lot more fun for me. it might be dated now
Kirsten
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written so that I could understand it even though I'm a beginner. I look forward to reading more of Bryan Peterson's books. Hopefully I can go on one of his photography trips someday.
Rachel Metzger
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and practical advice, easy to follow along with. Honestly, I wish I had read this years ago.
Angela Burkhead
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I studied photography for most of my life, my photography bio on any of my pages states that I started at the age of 13 and never looked back. I saved up all my birthday and Christmas money for two years to buy my first SLR and went on to receive a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Photography. A few years after graduating I hit a bit of a slump. Life got harder and I tried to work photography into my schedule at every opportunity, I still do, but it's difficult to play around with your camera settings ...more
  • The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • Photography
  • Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • The A-Z of Creative Photography
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
82078
Bryan F. Peterson has been a full-time commercial photographer since 1981, shooting assignments all over the world for many of the Fortune 500 companies, including Kodak, UPS, and American Expiress. He is also a contract stock photographer for Corbis and Getty. He has been a contributing editor at Outdoor Photographer Magazine and is currently a contributing editor at Popular Photography and Imagi ...more
More about Bryan Peterson...