Start by marking “Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon” as Want to Read:
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon

Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon

(Molly Lou Melon)

Molly Lou Melon is different, but this doesn't slow her down.
Published August 27th 2001 by G. P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon, please sign up.
Jeannie my 4 year old loves this book! I would say preschooler to kindergarten. My girl has advanced language skills but I think the concepts of self esteem i…moremy 4 year old loves this book! I would say preschooler to kindergarten. My girl has advanced language skills but I think the concepts of self esteem in this book are fabulous at a young age!(less)

Start your review of Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
Duchess Nicole
One of my kids favorite books. The moral to the story is how Molly Lou Melon is different from everyone else, but that it's okay. Wise words from Grandma encourage Molly to stand up for herself, be true to herself, smile and be happy, and never give up. This is a book that I'll keep to read to my Grand babies one day in the very far future...no Goodwill for this one! Huge five stars. Ages 4 to 94...
Kathryn
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a delight! I just adore Molly Lou for her sweet self-confidence and the joy she finds in (and brings to) life. Little Molly Lou is smaller than all the other kids in her class, she has buck teeth, and can't sing a good note. But, her grandmother taught her that, if she carries herself with confidence, the world will look up to her... and if she smiles, the whole world smiles, too... And all is well and good--until the Melon family moves to a new house, and Molly Lou begins a new school. Sin ...more
Lisa Vegan
It turned out this was one of two books I read in one day that had the same illustrator: David Catrow, and I love his work.

This is a wonderful book for any child who’s teased or who feels different from other kids, and great for kids who need to learn to stand up for themselves.
Becky
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I just learned about this site, We Give Books, where you can read books online, for free, and support literacy programs. Where has this site been all my life?! Obviously I signed up, and read my first book within 5 minutes. It seems that they are all children's books, which is fine with me. They are easy, cute and reading them makes a difference. Why WOULDN'T I do this?

"Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon" was cute, beautifully illustrated, and short. It's for kids aged 4-7, so the cause and effect t
Abigail
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not So Much...
Despite her small stature, buck-toothed smile, croaky voice (like that of a bull-frog), and tendency toward clumsiness, Molly Lou Melon was a happy, well-adjusted, self-confident little girl. After all, her Grandma has always instructed her to walk proudly, smile big, sing out clear and strong, and believe in herself. But when she moved to a new town, leaving her old school and friends behind, she found that her idiosyncrasies had made her a target for the school bully, Ronald Durkin. Fortunatel ...more
babyhippoface
Molly Lou Melon is the cutest little eensy-weensy girl you've ever seen. She needs a ladder to climb up onto her bed. Her self-confidence, however, is bigger than Andre the Giant. No matter what ugly things that stereotypically-red-headed class bully Ronald Durkin says to her, she just grins her giant grinning grin and goes right ahead doing whatever it is she's doing, from creating the most beautiful paper snowflake ever to scoring a touchdown even though she's wearing a football helmet that co ...more
Luann
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luann by: Lynell
Shelves: 2008, picture-book
Molly Lou Melon is a spunky, fumble-fingered little first-grader with buck teeth and a voice that sounds like "a bullfrog being squeezed by a boa constrictor." She believes her grandma when she tells her things like "Walk as proudly as you can and the world will look up to you" and "Sing out clear and strong and the world will cry tears of joy." Molly Lou Melon's belief in herself is tested when the bully at her new school starts to pick on her.

David Catrow's wonderful and wacky illustrations f
Tc
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings, inpiring
This is a very sweet story about being happy with yourself. This book reminds me of "I Like Myself" by Karen Beaumont (also illustrated by David Catrow). These two books could be used to compare and contrast, but could also be used for a lesson having children draw/write about things they like about themselves.
T.E. Antonino
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the message. Loving yourself has a big impact on how others think of you. Molly never let anyone take away her joy. Molly's inner beauty shown so great that even the haters began to see things in a more positive light.
Dolly
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific book that encourages children to be proud of who they are and not let bullies tear them down. We love David Catrow's books, so I was excited to read this book with our girls. Our youngest was sure that we'd already read it, but I don't remember it. Perhaps she read it at school...

The narrative is fun to read aloud, but the message is even more important. I love that Molly Lou has a close relationship with her grandmother (who is a lot like Molly Lou), and that they maintain th
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon. / Patty Lovell. David Catrow (ill.) / 2001.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
"Even when the class bully at her new school makes fun of her, Molly remembers what her grandmother told her and she feels good about herself" (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
self-esteem, bullying, relationship with grandmothers

Review citation:
“What keeps the storytelling fresh is the crisp prose and th
Lain
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
If I could give this book more than five stars, I would.

We received this book as a gift, and I wasn't too sure about it because the illustrations are not my style. But I was hooked by the first couple of pages. Molly Lou Melon, a short, bullfrog-voiced, buck-toothed dynamo shows kids how to stand up for themselves and love their individuality with humor and grace.

The illustrations are full of hidden gems, the story is short and full of meaning, and kids of all ages will get a kick out of Molly
Amanda Hoffman
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore the message in this book. I like how it gives children the confidence in themselves when it comes to their own uniqueness. I like also how their is an adult who promotes this confidence in the book that is not a parent. I think children can relate to having an adult, not necessarily a parent, give them acceptance. I chose this book because not everyone in life is going to like you, there will be Ronald's along the way. This book gives the message to be true to yourself no matter who show ...more
Jackie
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though Molly Lou Melon is small, has buck teeth, and has a voice like a horn, but Molly Lou's grandma tells her she is special and she finds a way to build her self-esteem. Then, Molly Lou moves, away from grandma, but she knows in her heart that grandma is right.

A great read-aloud book for self-esteem and bullying.
Colton W
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This story teaches you that whoever you are, you are SPECIAL!
E.C. Kraeft
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my class every year. It is a wonderful story.
Camie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quinncey Sept. A favorite for girls age 6 !!
Kristin Thomas
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary: "Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon" is about a young girl who has flaws, just like everyone else. Molly Lou Melon's grandmother teacher Molly to appreciate her flaws and to be proud of who she is.

Evaluation: I rated this book a 4. This book is engaging to its readers with such appealing images. It also gives young children a wonderful message of appreciating theirselves.

Teaching Tip: Teachers could read this book to his/her students, and then have the students write a text-to-self connectio
Zoie Loosier
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolutely awesome book! Molly is just a little bit smaller then the other children and unique in her in ways. Her grandmother encouraged her to love all the things that made her different. The illustration were outstanding. I also enjoyed the dialogue from the grandmother and how Molly Lou Mellon listened to her. As a teacher, I believe this book would be a wonderful book to use in the classroom to teach children to not only accept their differences, but be proud of who you are ...more
Grace Cantrell
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-1-20
Summary: This book was about a little girl that got a life lesson from her grandma. No matter what a bully may say you should always stand tall. In other terms, the moral of the story is to always be the bigger person.

Evaluation: I think the message of this book is one that all students should hear. The book does a great job of showing how children can build their self-esteem. I loved the illustrations and the overall tone of the book. It was very humorous. I think it would be a great read-aloud
Erin Holley
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book to read to young children. It helps children realize that no matter their differences, they are all important. Mary Lou Melon took all of her differences, that some people would have seen as negatives, and turned them into something positive. It’s a light hearted and fun to read book that would be a great addition to the classroom. I will definitely read it to my students one day!
Jill
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a shining example of why children’s books are not just for children. Everyone needs this message. With a delivery as joyful as the illustrations and Molly Lou (and her wise grandmother) are, everyone is in for a delightful read—many times over.
Shamika
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ378fall2017
Text-to-World
In my opinion, this book teaches self-confidence. In the reading was a little girl named Molly Lou Melon, who had features that she was not too fond of. However, her loving grandmother always taught her to love and appreciate herself, and in return, the people that surrounds you will love you for those same reasons. In hindsight, this book can reinsure children to always love themselves and don't worry about people negative comments and to just be you. One activity that I would cons
Kris
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Funny, adorable, and empowering. Molly Lou Melon isn’t having any of your insults. She is strong and confident in a itsy-bitsy package. The kids and I liked this one a lot.
Lillian Martin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was silly and I liked the story!
Adriana Cole
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Text to text connection:

This book reminded me of “I like myself” by Karen Beaumont. Both books are about two little girls who have things that aren’t so lovely about themselves. Beaver breath, buck teeth, messy hair and shorter than average are all things that they could be self conscious about. But they both choose to embrace their flaws and insecurities and just be themselves. They were taught that Beauty comes from a good heart and they display that beauty despite their shortcomings. This is
Rachel Hilton
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Molly Lou Melon is a short girl, who gets bullied at school. Throughout the story Molly Lou Melon proves her bully wrong and keeps her head up, or as her grandma says "Stand Tall." I recommend this story to everyone because it focuses on differences and learning how to embrace uniqueness. For this story, I would read aloud this story, then have my students come up with ways they are unique. As a class we would go around the room and allow each students explain why he or she is unique.
Peace_Love_Reading
We absolutely loved this book . I have found other Molly Lou Melon books to be just ok . This one I loved !!! It took bullying head on. My five year old son loved how she killed the bully with kindness and just kept being herself .
Brad Meltzer
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Molly Lou Melon is short and clumsy, has buck teeth, and “has a voice that sounds like a bullfrog being squeezed by a boa constrictor.” She doesn’t mind. Her grandmother has always told her to walk proud, smile big, and sing loud, and she takes that advice to heart. But then Molly Lou has to start in a new school and meets a horrid bully named Ronald Durkin who picks on her on the very first day. But Molly Lou Melon, thanks to her grandmother’s advice to “Sing out clear and strong and the world ...more
Ashley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mom-kiddo-time
Very sweet. Great message. Stand tall. Be proud of yourself and don't give in to others nasty comments. Quite simply, believe in yourself no matter how small or different.

• Enemy Pie
  • Coat of Many Colors
  • The Recess Queen
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • The Dot

Molly Lou Melon (2 books)
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon