Start by marking “Sciencia: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy for All (Wooden Books)” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Biography Matthew Watkins, Ph.D. is a musician and mathematician. He lives in England. Matt Tweed is an artist and musician. He lives in England. Burkard Polster is a professor of mathematics at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. Gerard Cheshire is is a professional science writer. He lives in England. Moff Betts, M.D. lives and practices medicine in Wales. Editori ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Walker Books (first published October 1st 2011)

Elizabeth
I like to keep a stack of books on the kitchen table for my kids to look through or read for those moments when the food hasn't hit the table or they are just hanging around the kitchen while I do my thing. This is the perfect book for that. It is the type of book that might spark an interest in a certain subject. In this case math, physics, chemistry, biology, or astronomy.

The illustrations are fantastic.
Brian Clegg
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This compact but chunky 400 page book packs in six different titles covering an eclectic if not entirely logical combination of topics (with authors whose names seem almost made up). We have Burkard Polster on mathematical proofs, Matthew Watkins packing in useful mathematical and physical formulae (sounds a laugh a minute), Matt Tweed on both the periodic table and the cosmos, Gerard Cheshire on evolution and Moff Betts on the human body.

Each of the mini-books inside consists of a series of two
Ron
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I admit it, I am a sucker for wooden books. The illustrations are beautiful as well. Plus, even people who hate knowledge can appreciate a book made of wood as it takes well to flames.
Kristina
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter order this book two years ago when she was 8 and its one of her favorite books. My too by the way.
Recommend to kids and teenagers - every page and subject is useful, simply described to kids and adults. It will spark interest in kids on different subjects.
Al Bità
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This work is a kind of coffee-table production incorporating six previously-published books on popularising mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology and astronomy, together with Appendices and an Index (410 pages in all). Obviously, the range is wide, and within each book, each subject is allocated a single page of writing, plus a single page of illustrations, facing each other: the detail, therefore can only be construed as 'basic' and appropriate to a neophyte; yet there is no holding back in ...more
Davy J
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-nine-weeks
When you stare at a really hard algebraic math question, do you wonder how people came up with it, and what they did to make it easy for people to understand? When you star at a wolf at the zoo, or your household pet, like a dog or a cat, do you wonder how it all came to be? Do you look up to the stars and say "why does it happen"? Well Sciencia is a book about biology, the cosmos and even the most basic to hard mathematical equations and more that will blow your mind! If you like things that ar ...more
Laura Fudge
I was totally drawn to the cover of this book. It’s beautiful and I was like a moth to a flame.

I picked it up and decided to work my way through all 6 books on Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Evolution, Genetics, Astronomy… a basic guide to Science.

It was extremely interesting, the Maths was like a brief refresher course on my GCSE and A-level knowledge, and most of the science stuff was similar. This would be a great resource book, especially for kids, as the illustrations are not onl
Sam
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a compilation of Wooden Books science books. There are 6 books in this set. Sciencia contains 2 books about math, one about chemistry, two on biology, and one on cosmology. My personal favorites were "Essential Elements" by Matt Tweed and "The Compact Cosmos" by the same author. Sciencia combines all 6 books and also includes an amazing collection of appendices that you cannot get if you buy each book separately.

I'd go into more detail, but I have reviewed each book on its own elsewhere
Joe Iacovino
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun coffee table piece. One page per subtopic with old fashioned illustrations on the opposite page. Great to thumb through and looks very nice. My 7yr old has picked it up a few times to read a page here and there and it leads to wonderful conversations. Only 3 to 3.5 stars due to the basic nature of the content but still worth having in your science collection.
Aleksandr Jermakov
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Just amazing. Although, I think some parts won't be understood by average reader and are too simple for professionals leaving a question whom they are written for. But still they are good for revision and to get full picture of what's going on. Tables and pictures at the end of the book are marvelous. I think they will help me a lot throughout next years.
Edric
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, this book has to be the most informative of all informational books. It's straight to the point and takes you through step by step so that you don't get lost anywhere. It also has pictures to illustrate the point which helps a lot. Mainly, I would recommend this book to the people have a basic common knowledge of math and science. Overall, great book!
Jason
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Every individual and/or family should have a copy of this book in their home. Seriously, it does a great job of making a lot of major mathematical & scientific concepts accessible to everyone, and the artwork is lovely. Get the hardback version, it is worth it.
Maddy
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this -- it reminded me of a lot of science I learned back in the dark ages of high school and college, as well of tons of new science info that was fun and fascinating. Broken up into page topics so you can just read a couple a day if you want. Everyone should have a read!
Dhuber
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite books because there is such a variety of topics covered
Delilah Wilson
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to many subjects with a digestible easy to read format
Eric M. Gilbert
I have the non e-book version and there's 416 pages but I'm only on page 156(lol)
Nick Woodall
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
It's ok. Too much evolutionary hocus-pocus for me.
Sam
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
a neat little book
Luke
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although not incredibly detailed, it does give the reader a bite-sized chunk of impressive concepts and observations which will certainly provoke further research and curiosity.
Matt
Kim
Mar 03, 2013
Eva
Jul 12, 2013
  • Quadrivium: The Four Classical Liberal Arts of Number, Geometry, Music, & Cosmology
  • Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven
  • The Golden Section: Nature’s Greatest Secret
  • Sacred Geometry
  • The Joy of Mathematics: Discovering Mathematics All Around You
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space  Astronomy
  • The Alchemist’s Kitchen: Extraordinary Potions & Curious Notions
  • Mathematical Sorcery
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
  • The Medical Book: From Witch Doctors to Robot Surgeons, 250 Milestones in the History of Medicine
  • The Joy of Pi
  • Dice: Deception, Fate & Rotten Luck
  • The Mathematics of Life
  • How the World Is Made: The Story of Creation according to Sacred Geometry
  • Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens
  • Fake Science 101: A Less-Than-Factual Guide to Our Amazing World
  • Conned Again, Watson: Cautionary Tales Of Logic, Math, And Probability
  • Maths in Minutes: 200 Key Concepts Explained in an Instant
Burkard Polster is a maths lecturer, and Monash University's resident Mathemagician, mathematical juggler, origami expert, bubble-master, shoelace charmer, and Count von Count impersonator. When he is not doing fun mathematics he has fun investigating perfect mathematical universes.

from http://www.mav.vic.edu.au/public-lect...
More about Burkard Polster...