Start by marking “Cream Teas, Traffic Jams And Sunburn: The Great British Holiday” as Want to Read:
Cream Teas, Traffic Jams And Sunburn: The Great British Holiday

Cream Teas, Traffic Jams And Sunburn: The Great British Holiday

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The British on holiday: how can four simple words evoke so many vivid images, images of raw sunburn and relentless rain, of John Bull's Pub (in Lanzarote) and Antonio's Tapas Bar (in Torquay), of endless queues to get through security at Manchester Airport, or Gatwick, or Glasgow, or Luton, and endless tailbacks on the M5, or M6, or M25, but also images of carefree sploshi ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Cream Teas, Traffic Jams And Sunburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cream Teas, Traffic Jams And Sunburn

Penny
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-england
Very entertaining read, probably all the more so because I read it on holiday in France. I always enjoy reading Brian Viner's columns in the newspapers and I've also read a couple of his other books.
I love his sense of humour and his wit. He seems to have a never ending supply of very amusing anecdotes and he tells a great story.
Needless to say I did recognise myself in some of his portrayals of the English on their holidays. I love French food but I admit I did pack baked beans, marmalade and o
Paul
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book about the Great British Holiday and the Great British on holiday.

For all those who have battled with putting a tent up in a howling gales and rain in August or have been stuck behind caravans, or moaned about the towels left behind by Germans, this is the book for you.

Viner touches on lots of different subjects, not always in depth, but enough to get a flavour. It is very, very funny in parts, so much so that I did laugh out loud at some parts.

Very good, well worth a read.
Steve Wilcockson
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The great and not so great British holiday.

Brian Viner has approached the subject with humour and insight that brought back many memories of summers past while answering questions of why we put ourselves through all the hard ship for a few hours of sunlight, an ice cream on the beach or a traditional English breakfast on the Costa Del Sol.

Alan
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun read on the British and their holidays.
If you are a Brit you will recognise many of your friends and family in these pages, indeed probably even yourself.
Highly entertaining and a perfect book to take away on holiday with you, to read on the beach as you look at all the Brits, burning in the sun!
Hilary Tesh
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Reading this could be compared to watching a documentary about the royal family; there's not much scintillating new information but it's nevertheless enjoyable. So, a fairly predictable book about the history and eccentricities of our British holiday habits, written in a witty yet perceptive manner which makes it an entertaining and engaging read.Can I go on holiday now please?
Anthony
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very funny account of the British on holiday at home and away.
Ross Whamond
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
An amusing trip with the British abroad and at home.

From the 60's to the present.Will leave you chuckling and enlightened.

Easy to see why Brian Viner is an award winning travel writer.
Mandy Goldstein
col
Aug 27, 2014
Lisa
Aug 12, 2016 marked it as could-not-finish-it-was-that-bad
Just couldn't get into it...kind of like a reminiscing book about vacations of yore.
Robert Luke