Start by marking “The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook” as Want to Read:
The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Presents experiences of nursery school student Alfie and his younger sister Annie Rose.
Published April 1st 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and a timeless classic. Fond memories of this book as a child and even more in love with the description as an adult. Cannot fault this book, as it is just happiness for children of many ages!
Tasmin Lamb
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Shirley Hughes books, they are extremely personable, yet a light hearted read for both children and adults. The illustrations are extremely intricate and allow the reader to empathise with the characters which makes the story extremely memorable. Would recommend reading Dogger as another favourite of mine!
Rachel
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A favorite in our house.
No magic, no imaginary friend, no gross habits or vocabulary, Alfie is a normal little boy. Shirley Hughes' books are wonderful because they show a family living day to day with each other. The words are well chosen and beautifully descriptive. The pictures are gorgeous!

Realistic Fiction for children of this age is hard to find, but every book in this series (that I have come across) is like a breath of fresh air.
I can read a new Alfie book to my girls without worrying
Kristine Hansen
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you've seen the Alfie and Annie Rose books before, you'll recognize some of the illustrations in this collection - which I loved because it felt like I was getting the story behind the pictures that are only hinted at in the counting book for example. I like this group, in part because it's a nice look at how children grow up in Great Britain - which really isn't all that different (except for the language used sometimes) than life in the United States. A nice collection of fell-good stories.
Jay Aitch
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a surprise to see this book here! The stories are wonderful to read with little ones and as the Mum of a 17 yr old and a 19 yr old I felt a wave of nostalgia, very happy memories of their pre-school years. The stories are easy for little ones to relate to and the illustrations complement the stories beautifully.
Heila
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"Shirley Hughes captures exactly the little details of domestic life with small children ... sparkling but cosy pictures...[Jump] overflowing with affection for the very young and full of uncanny understanding of their minor trials and triumphs" [Horn Book]
Idiosyncratic
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of our favourite books when my daughter was little - in fact, I enjoyed reading all of Shirley Hughes's books to her, again and again and again. They recreate a wonderful, simple, reassuring world, which is just what a very young child needs and loves.
Tommyb
Fiction,Children's fiction
Anne
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
especially love the story about Annie Rose learning to say Bernard's name
Katie
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books when I was little
Bree
Notes:
a great depiction of ordinary life for children
illustrated beautifully
both my kids enjoy this
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
My oldest would want me to read this straight through, he really enjoyed Alfie.
Christine
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shirley Hughes is one the classics when it comes to children's books! Start reading some today.
Melissa
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Paul and I read these books several years ago, and I just reread them with Lila. These are rare gems of children's books, and I love them all.
Emma
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
An amazing book of stories for children.
Heather
  • You Choose
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees
  • Little Beauty
  • The Gigantic Turnip
Shirley Hughes is the illustrator of more than two hundred children’s books and has won many prestigious awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal twice. She is the author-illustrator of DON'T WANT TO GO! and OLLY AND ME 1 2 3. She lives in London.
More about Shirley Hughes...