Start by marking “Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)” as Want to Read:
Shameless (The House of Rohan, #4)

Shameless

(The House of Rohan #4)

A long string of tragic loves haunts Viscount Benedick Francis Alistair Rohan. Cool and cynical, he's weary of life's fickle games and wants a prim and proper wife he can ignore while indulging his sensual appetites.

Lady Melisande Carstairs is nothing less than a tornado storming into Benedick's measured life. Possessed of boundless energy and the soul of a ref
Published July 1st 2011 by Mira (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shameless, please sign up.
Amy I was dying to read it before I finished Shameless! Apparently Anne was working on it last year?? Tentatively called "Heartless".
Fingers…more
Fingers crossed!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I would hesitate to give this 5 stars because Benedick wasn't Anne Stuarty enough for me. He seemed more like a typical European historical romance hero. I like when I read an Anne Stuart book and the hero immediately keeps me in the mode that this is not a run-of-the-mill historical romance hero. It's hard for me to describe that, but it's a feeling I have when I read her books. Benedick had a bit of the danger/rake edge, but he seemed more than anything just to be a titled hero used to getting ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This is my first Anne Stuart book and I am kicking myself that I haven't read anything by her sooner! I am also feeling a little shamed that I have started this series on the fourth book, I am normally a stickler for reading a series in order.

Lord Benedick Rohan has come to London for two reasons, 1, to find a bland wife with whom he can create an heir and a spare and 2, to shag himself silly. But when Lady Melisande Carstairs, or Charity Carstairs, turns up on his door demanding tha
Karen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75

“He wasn't marrying her. Even if she'd have him, which she certainly wouldn't, he had no intention of leg-shackling himself to such a difficult woman. She'd always be racing off to save some new stray lamb, and if she even caught wind of the Scorpion's criminal associations she'd probaby try to save them, as well. She was a dangerous woman, never content with the status quo, and
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Juliana Philippa
Wonderfully matched leading characters make this a supremely enjoyable romance (4 stars)

This was my first Anne Stuart and was a great one to start with. The plot is a good one, the chemistry sizzles, there are some wonderfully humorous lines, and the secondary characters are well-written, with two of them being extremely compelling (my guess is they get their own romance). I loved Melisande and Benedick together; there is a wonderful mix of antagonism and attraction to their relationship. The
Tzippy
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
We have the Viscount Benedick Rohan, a man who lost two wives to childbirth complications, venture to London to find a, oh, so proper wife he can wed, bed, impregnate for the oh, so important heir and spare (if I had a sibling you best be knowing I'd refer to them as the spare), and then abandon/ignore to run off merrily with some mistress.
He arrives home to find his baby brother a shell of a man, due to his injuries he received from fighting in the Afgan Wars, addicted to opium, and doing secr
Tara
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series blows my mind. Shameless is another example why Anne Stuart is a superior writer/author.

We start with two less-than-perfect characters and immediately love them both. Someone is scarred, someone isn't tiny, blond and breathtakingly beautiful, someone has deep fears which incringe on everyday life and decisions. It doesn't matter how warped or twisted or scared or unreasonable these characters are, we love them. And that my friends, is good writing.

Benedick seemed t
willaful
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: series completionists only
A bit different from other Stuart books, because the hero is not a bad boy and has loved before. Even so, it felt stale and extremely repetitive; he just keeps thinking the same thoughts over and over. I liked the characters, but otherwise it was pretty meh. The secondary romance had a lot of potential but was given short shrift, so perhaps another book about those characters is coming.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is more of a reminder of what this book is about than a proper opinion. I liked it. I'll rate it a bit higher since I got a sort of an epilogue for the previous book here. Miranda and Lucien make an appearance and they are great.
"“You’ve known her all your life,” Lucien retorted. “Do you really think I have a chance in hell of keeping her home?”
“Oh, you’re a fearsome creature, indeed, Scorpion.”
“Stuff it. Your sister is enough to terrify anyone.”
This isn't a 'thirty years later' type of story as previousgreat."“You’ve
Jen Davis
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Anne Stuart book, but I can assure you, it won't be my last. Shameless is one of the best Historical Romance books I have read this year. It's fourth in the House of Rohan series, but at no time was I lost or confused by jumping in mid-series. I am, however, compelled to go track down and read the earlier installments, on the chance they are as good as this one.

Benedick Rohan has outlived two wives and a fiance. He has decided that he needs to find himself a new bride. You se
Robin
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Viscount Benedick Rohan has returned to London in search of a wife. Since his last two wives have died in childbirth, Benedick wants to find a biddable woman to give him an heir and retire to the country never to bother him again. After that he can accommodate as many mistresses, widows and whores as he can stand. His request for a nights entertainment leads to a meeting with Lady Melisande Carstairs. Melisande is on a mission to save as many prostitutes as possible by opening her home to them. ...more
Thenia
Benedick Rohan intends to be bad for a while, since he feels he deserves it after everything that's happened in his life, but circumstances and Melisande "Charity" Carstairs won't let him!

Benedick follows in his family's footsteps, in a tamer version, and shares his family's good looks and charm.
Melisande uses the means her elderly late husband left her to help unfortunate women, defying society's rules on the process.

They are opposite in some regards and surprising
Kathy Davie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, funny, romance
Fourth in the House of Rohan's historical romance series set in the London of 1842. The couple focus is on Lord Benedick Rohan and Lady Melisande "Charity" Carstairs.

My Take
Too funny! It's like a sex manual for the innocent with Charity taking in soiled doves and finding them new careers. Naturally, these ladies of the evening repay her with lots of useful advice that Benedick just doesn't see coming. Too bad she didn't follow their advice about the nightgown…!

It's all r/>My
Caroline The HEA Lover
(this review was originally published on Secret HEA Society)

Shameless is the 4th book in the House of Rohan series. I am a big fan of this series and I just couldn't wait to read this last installment. It was on my Auto-read list, it was such a sure thing in my mind that I would read it that I didn't read the book synopsis. So when I started the book, I didn't really connect the dots. You see, the first 3 books followed the House of Rohan on 3 generations. So I was expecting Shameless to be abo
Kelly
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Anne Stuart, thank you so much for giving us this fun, fun book. It was delicious and decadent and I'm kinda in love with all your characters. All of them. Especially the broken ones.

First things first, despite being the 4th book in the series I had no problems at all jumping into the lives of the characters. I have read the free prequel (The Wicked House of Rohan - available here) and enjoyed it immensely, but seeing as the prequel deals with the current Viscount's great-uncle (
Jen
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stuart
This installment of the House of Rohan was not as good as the last three. Benedick Rohan is the older brother of Miranda (Breathless) and son to Adrian and Charlotte (Reckless). He is unlucky when it comes to keeping his wives ...more
Duchess Nicole
Anne Stuart is officially the queen of the tortured hero, and this series is phenomenal. I have been consumed with Benedick and Melisande. Each of them is unique and yet Ms. Stuart has found a way to make me adore them both.

Benedick is similar to the other Rohans (and Lucien) in that his lifestyle has led him to live the rest of his days in a nihilistic, apathetic stupor. To top it off, he's had the worst run of luck with wives, losing three women to either madness or childbirth. He is determi
Crista
Perhaps I am getting a bit spoiled by Anne Stuart's consistency and her "formula" that works so well for me. I love Anne Stuart's bad boy's, I love that her books contain secondary love stories that are as compelling as the primary love stories, and I love that I know what I'm going to get when I pick up one of this awesomely talented author's books.

Shameless threw me for a loop.

Although I loved the story and recommend the book wholeheartedly, it left me a bit disappointe
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This is probably my second favourite of the series after Ruthless. Benedick was actually nice, which is weird, because I read this series for its dark heroes. Sure, he is a rake, but he isn't an asshole like his father and grandfather were. And Melisande is the first heroine not to get kidnapped by the hero at some point in the story. I guess I wasn't in the mood for a dark hero as much as I thought, since I still enjoyed this so much.

But what happened to Brandon?! Anne Stuart's novels always have a sec
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: June 28, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: http://www.anne-stuart.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, House of Rohan
Series Best Read In Order: Works well as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy

I should probably preface this with a disclaimer: I adore Anne Stuart. She has the incredibly tendency to write the most
Erin **Coffee, Book, Essential Oils Addict**
It has been a while since I picked up a historical fiction book. I have been wanting to read this one for some time. I loved it! The romance that ensues during this book is almost magical. Each character has his/her own strife in life, and they manage to end up together. As always, I am a sucker for a happy ending, and this one was so much more than just two lovers ending up together.
Bekah
Benedick Rohan has had the worst luck in love. He’s loved and lost many, and for now he wants to just find a woman he can marry who will leave him be. His plan; to come to London, find his next wife, and then find the woman who he will spend his nights in bed with. They are two separate women of course. However his plans are interrupted by Melisande “Charity” Carstairs quite literally at the worst possible moment. Once she has stormed into his life, he finds his life is never quite the same agai ...more
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Narrated by Susan Ericksen
As a fan of The House of Rohan series, I find myself gasping in both horror and delight as I listen to each entry. These edgy stories with their cold, ruthless heroes are definitely not for the faint of heart. All with heroes “you love to hate” at one point or another, each of the four books has been my favorite of the series until the next one comes along. Now book 4, Shameless, holds the honor.

Benedick, Viscount Rohan, stands out from the other Rohan
SidneyKay
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-regency
Quinn
Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of this author’s contemporary Ice series. I abandoned that one after the first book having been told that the each of the ‘heroes’ in the subsequent books were cut from the same cold, heartless, soulless cloth.

That said, it seems that I can now say that I am a fan of this series. Well…… With the exception of the undoubtedly well-written train-wreck that was Breathless.

Many fans of this author seem to have been disappointed with Shameless, possibly due to the h
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I was graciously provided with a copy for review by Netgalley for Harlequin. Having never read this series before with the exception of a short story, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this book could easily be read on its own. I absolutely loved the setting, characters, and sultry situations the couple gets themselves into.

Bennedick Rohan is in the market for a new wife after the loss of
MBR
I believe I am in quite the predicament. Anne Stuart has ruined me. Yes, you heard me right. She has ruined me for practically every other author out there. Two or three books from random authors and that feeling of restlessness stirs inside of me, that craving to read something from an author I firmly believe would never fail me. And every single time I start a new book from her, there is this feeling of anticipation that courses through me, that feeling of rightness and contentment in knowing ...more
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I seriously need to figure out how many of these I have read, and in what order. I guess it doesn't really matter, because the formula is so similar, but for all I know I could be reading the same one over and over not realizing it. Still, it's a quick diverting read - I honestly think I am charmed by the cover art so much that I rate them higher. And the series bait worked like a charm - I am far more curious about Brandon than I've been about any of the others.
Sheila Melo
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: I loved the romance between Benedick and Melisande which is more traditional than the other books in this series (Benedick is not as rakish or as close to irredeemable as the other heroes in the series). The two are so perfect for one another from the start but are determined to resist the possibility.

THE STORY: Viscount Benedick Rohan has been exceedingly unlucky with women. He's buried two wives and had a fiancee commit suicide. He needs an heir and this time he int
ALPHAreader
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decades ago Benedick Rohan’s grandfather birthed ‘The Heavenly Host’. A decadently erotic party where the elite ton could let down their hair and partake of scandalous orgies and phony demonic rituals. The ‘Host’ tradition was passed down the Rohan line, to Benedick’s father and then it vanished into gossip oblivion . . . until now.

Benedick Rohan is the eldest of the Rohan clan, and the most jaded. He has lost two wives to childbirth and a sister to the devilish Scorpion. His younger brother, B
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1)
  • In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3)
  • Soldier of Fortune (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #2 )
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Scandal
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Skin Heat (Skin, #3)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies,

The House of Rohan (5 books)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Heartless (The House of Rohan, #5)
“You tell anyone that I cried, and I'll cut your liver out."
"Do you even know where a human liver resides?"[...]
"Yes," she said, and punched him in it.”
20 likes
“She looked at him. She was feeling reckless, emotional, out of sorts, and she was tired of his constant hints. “I found the experience so unpleasant with Wilfred that I kicked him out lest he want to repeat the whole thing.” She shuddered. “I was expecting someone younger and healthier than Sir Thomas would convince me that lovemaking was worth the trouble. It isn’t. It’s nasty and ugly and dirty.”

He stared at her for a long moment. And then he spoke. “Dear girl,” he said softly, “don’t you know that any reasonable man would take that as a challenge?”

She jerked her head up to look at him, into those very dark green eyes. “Don’t be absurd. Why would anyone bother when there are so many willing females around? I’m too much trouble. And besides, I don’t consider you a reasonable man.”

His smile was fleeting. “I’m an eminently reasonable man.” And before she realized what he was doing she was back in his arms and he was kissing her, openmouthed and hot and wet, no teasing approach, just raw, sexual demand that should have filled her with disgust and dismay.
He didn’t like mysteries, any more than he liked emotions, weaknesses or unsatisfied lust.”
3 likes