Start by marking “Barrel Child” as Want to Read:
Barrel Child

Barrel Child

(Barrel Child #1)

What happens when mothers are forced to emigrate in search of economic opportunities to provide a better life for their children? What happens to the child? Feelings of abandonment... longing... anger... Barrel Child by Pamela K. Marshall is a fictional account of the struggles a family must overcome when circumstance forces proof of a mother's love to be sent via airmail, ...more
Published May 28th 2011 (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Barrel Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barrel Child

Pen & Pad Publishing
For those who don't know, "barrel children" is a term for kids whose parents leave them behind when they move abroad to places like the US, Canada, and England to find better work and opportunity. The phenomenon is a major issue in the Caribbean. UNICEF in Jamaica agreed that "migration of parents who seek more lucrative employment abroad has had a negative impact on Jamaican children. Some children are left in the care of strangers, neighbours or even older siblings who are still children. Thes ...more
Toula
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was ok

I felt like the book was too much like a soap opera. I have many aunts and uncles who were "barrel children" and I hoping it would be more about life as a barrel child when they were young.
Dillon Powell
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has so many connections, especially to Caribbean people. If you know anyone from the islands or anyone from a different country, this is a DEFINITE recommendation. Just the title alone reminded me of my sister's relationship to her "Barrel Child" daughter back in Jamaica. I hope a sequel is in the making. 5/5 Stars.
Reneé Logan
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok I'll give her a pass since she's not an author but it's just not very well written! Insipid and unbelievable characters and you could always see where the plot was going. Oh and can someone reach these two how to use birth control??
Simma
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Excellent story and definitely a page turner. It's not a great work of literature but was presented well.
Ansaba
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read..waiting on the sequel. It helps relate to immigrants who are raised bi-cultural and the history behind this.......and the emotional consequences on all sides.
Nicky Shirley
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

I have really enjoyed reading this book. I felt like I knew Sara and her family! Lots of laughter .
Leslie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story line has a lot of potential, but I didn’t feel as though it was expressed very well.
Karen A. Lloyd
Jul 28, 2015
Mildred Campbell
Mar 05, 2015
Pamela Marshall
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wendy Anika
Oct 04, 2011
Tomeka
Dec 22, 2018
Cherrie Woods
Good book. The storyline is a very common one for immigrants from the Caribbean.
Pauline Nooksie
May 30, 2019
Pen & Pad Publishing: Barrel Child 2 2 Feb 17, 2014 11:33AM
Pamela Marshall is originally from Kingston, Jamaica but now lives in Northern Virginia with her family. Barrel Child, published in 2011, is her first book.

Barrel Child (2 books)
  • Breaking The Cycle: A Barrel Child Story (Barrel Child, #2)
“place and I could handle anything he threw at me. Will Seeking Forgiveness I had to get a grip.  I knew Ruth and Andrew were in good hands, but I wanted to be with them.  I was miserable and lonely.  Granddad Andrew advised me to think about what I was looking for and if I found it in Sara. Well, I thought about it and she was the one.  I loved everything about her.  Sara challenged me and kept me on my toes.  She was a know-it-all and could debate me on” 0 likes