Start by marking “Your Child's Growing Mind: Brain Development and Learning From Birth to Adolescence” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The completely updated and expanded version of the 1987 classic hailed by parents and educators everywhere.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published April 20th 2011 by Harmony (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Your Child's Growing Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Child's Growing Mind

Sandi
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ryan and Lincoln's guitar teacher recommended this. He implied that it would convince me it was important to start music lessons at a very young age (3 or 4). It did the opposite. Yes, there is an amazing amount of connections and growth happening, but these happen without structured learning. Basically it supports play based learning. Forget flashcards and other more rote ways we have of measuring intelligence. Let your child experience the world and definitely go easy on screen time. Don't com ...more
Jenny
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your Child's Growing Mind: Brain Development and Learning from Birth to Adolescence covers how the brain develops throughout the beginning years and then how that is portrayed as the child begins to learn via reading, math, science, writing, spelling and through creativity. Part one covers brain development at various ages and how the brain changes and grows. Part two covers the foundations of learning, gender and hemisphere differences, learning styles, handedness and early language and memory. ...more
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Healy belongs to a school of thought that believes kids have to develop appropriate neural architecture before they can learn.

On the plus side, she recommends a relatively laid-back approach to parenting. She believes there's not much point in trying to drill kids on reading or math before they're ready, and she thinks (with supporting evidence) that a lot of the activities that kids think are fun--sorting things, squishing around in the mud, climbing trees, sitting on laps for story time, even
Carrie
2.5

Some contradictions. Some info to glean.
Rosalyn Eves
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the most recent update of this version (only a few years old, I think). What I was most impressed with was how clearly she spells out the differences in stages of development--I realized that some of the things I get frustrated with my son over are things that his brain actually isn't wired for yet. The most useful part of this book: Healy gives lots of ideas for creating an environment that nurtures creativity in children. Plus, she has a research-backed argument as to why pushing too mu ...more
C
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This book emphasizes the importance of allowing children to simply be children developing at their own speed, and the role of parents in tuning rather than driving this development towards predefined and often unrealistic targets.
Most (otherwise well-intentioned) parents find it difficult to establish a balance between taking care that their kids receive the best guidance possible, and pushing them too hard. This book is a must read especially for those who want to ensure they “do everything ri
Heidi Thorsen
This was a gift from a friend who said it was one of her favorite parenting books. I found it informative. The main point I took from it was that the pace of a child's learning does not necessarily correspond to their adult IQ. Some kids who develop slowly (learn to speak or read later than others) will still be just as smart as their peers who crossed their milestones earlier, sometimes even smarter. The key is to not "track" these students academically with low expectations for their capabilit ...more
Lily
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, parenting
Who else but a potentially pushy parent would read a book on how their child's mind develops? Dr. Healy does a good job dissuading her readers from employing classically pushy parental techniques and cites extensive research to back her claims that creative play, fun-yet-structured environments, loving caregivers, and a chaos-free home environment are the ticket to helping a child reach his or her fullest potential.

That said, I had trouble swallowing her lack of emphasis on skills and repetitive
JA
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for understanding how the brain develops and what can be done to optimise the learning and development of a child. Like the Endangered Minds, this book in my opinion, was ahead of its time when first published. It gives very pragmatic tips on a whole lot of areas in a child's learning. I appreciate how the author emphasise that kids have different ways of learning; not performing well under the realm of scholastic standards do not equate to a child not being "intelligent" or ...more
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
I read this book particularly for the parts about adolescent brain development, but it didn't offer much there that I hadn't covered in college. However, I found that chapters about younger children especially interesting. Your Child's Growing Mind helped explain why some bright children do so poorly in school and have such an adverse reaction to learning.

While I wouldn't use this book as a Bible for child education (and really you shouldn't treat any book as the gold standard in that area beca
White
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the books I used as a reference for outstanding materials in my book, Raising Children to be Gifted. Only this one is far better than mine.

Informative, intelligent, caring. This book was a ripe read for when I had a young family. It held me mesmerized and besotted with motherhood; empowering me to give everything I could to my growing children so I could lead them into intelligence, sensitivity, and perspective.

I love this book. I am going to buy it over and over again for m
Jason
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems to contain a reasonably good set of information, but not always at the depth that I'd like, and not organized in the most useful way.

Reading it with a newborn in the house was actually a bit frustrating, because there's no effort at chronological organization, so you have to either read the whole thing or do some major skipping around to find the parts that are relevant to your life right now. Also, the coverage of young babies takes up a very small portion of the book anyway, so
Joy
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prof-development
Really solid overview of child development aimed at parents, though I also found it useful as someone who works with youth. Most of the information in here isn't new to me, but the presentation is fantastic: clear, accessible, with practical suggestions about what adults can do to nurture children and teens. Healy is especially opposed to pressuring children to grow up to fast--I'd love to give a copy of this to some of the loving but overinvolved parents that I see at the branch.
Keeli Billings
I've mentioned this book to some of you and am just now adding it. It's not a cover to cover book for me but a good view of child development and psychology academically. It talks a lot about not pushing conventional learning too hard in a child's early years. A great book for anyone but especially those getting ready to send kids off to kindergarten. Oh, and there are some updated versions from the one that I read.
Kristin Reider
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super easy read, great for parents and educators. As a parent, I found the brain development information to be so interesting. As an educator, I found so many wonderful bits of information that would valuable to share with new parents and parents of primary aged children. So glad I took the time to read this book! The message = Talk, talk, talk to your kiddos and build language daily.
Penny
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my humble opinion, this is the BEST book for parents of all ages!! It explains in easy-to-understand terminology how a child's brain develops and WHY they act and react the way they do. Dr. Healy provides anecdotes and suggestions on when children are ready for reading!! I loved her original edition, but I prefer her newer book (2004).
Dan
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most facts-based, hard-headed, and comprehensive book on how kids thing for parents, at least that I know of. An amazing resource, particularly compared with the anecdote-based books like extended pamphlets that are usually targeted at parents.
Rebecca The Files of Mrs. E,
I loved this book! I love the way Jane Healy explains the science in layman terms and then offers very practical suggestions in how to actually use the information to help your child. You can read more of my review here: http://thefilesofmrse.com/archives/2569
Justin
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, maybe-buy
Seemed to have many good points as I was reading it.
However, now that I am done I don't remember to many takeaways.
I will need to reread this again to say for sure, but it seems like it could be very useful.
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go-to grounding book for parenting. It calms all the voices of "genius" hype and allows me to parent as one human to another. Every time that I read this book (three so far), I find a new parenting nugget that I can integrate.
Dianne Davidson
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a friendly presentation of some heavy science. It took me forever to get through it but I walked away with refreshed appreciation for God and His creation. I would think every new mother would want to read this DURing
pregancy.
Gail
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Great book about how to encourage your child's love of learning and overall education. It includes info about activities and practices you can start at home as well as how to handle things if problems arise with school. Must read for parents and teachers.
Riz
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dense, but lot of concepts that are great to follow. Not a quick read.
Ben
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read as much as pertained to newborns and infants. Was hoping for more detail and more step by step development. So really this just wasn't the book I wanted.
Dara Young
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This excellent book is perfect for a parent trying to understand how children's brains develop and learn. I highly recommend it.
Christy Holthouse
Very informative!
Planck Constant
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good informative book in its category.. I think especially the content of the sections on learning is a must know for each parent.
Creatingadream
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents with young kids and especially all new parents.
I've referred to this book many times over the years. This book is a great gift to give to new parents.
Lori
Highly recommended for any parents &/or teachers out there.
Emily
Jul 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. Great for learning how the brain develops and grows and a fabulous reminder that every brain is unique and, as a result, people learn differently.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for ISBN 0385231490 1 13 Sep 22, 2013 03:01AM
  • A Child's Work: The Importance of Fantasy Play
  • In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences
  • Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success
  • Learning All The Time
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • The Emotional Life of the Toddler
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Your Self-Confident Baby: How to Encourage Your Child's Natural Abilities -- From the Very Start
  • Raising Children Who Think for Themselves

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99