Start by marking “The Lover's Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  41,172 Ratings  ·  5,082 Reviews
We are all beginners when it comes to love, from those tentative first dates to learning how to live with, or without, someone. But how does one describe love? David Levithan's 'The Lover's Dictionary' starts where we all once started - with the alphabet.
Published February 2nd 2012 by Fourth Estate (first published January 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lover's Dictionary, please sign up.
aqs Amazing. Truly an innovative way to relay the insecurities, emotional highs and fluctuating lows of a relationship.

One of those books you won't ever…more

One of those books you won't ever regret having read (whether or not it becomes a favorite or a re-read). (less)

Emily May
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
Shelves: romance, 2011

People who get super creative with books are always taking a big risk, you know... writing in verse, two authors writing a POV each, and now this: a novel written like a dictionary. A series of random words from A to Z each representing something about the protagonist's most recent relationship:

abstraction, n.
Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours.

It's a very
Raeleen Lemay
I really liked how brutally honest the protagonist was in the entries, but the story was too disjointed for me to love it. It was interesting how there were entries about positive things from their relationship, and then suddenly I would get three negative ones in a row. I liked that it was unpredictable, just like an actual relationship.

Enjoyable, but I was hoping for a bit more.
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Angus Miranda
Read this book only when you are in love or you are in love with love.

I was neither both when I read this in one sitting last Saturday. Then last night, I happened to catch some scenes of the Korean movie Love Phobia at Cinema One. Korean filmmakers have been producing excellent, i.e., very sensitive, love stories that are much attuned to Filipino’s notion of love. That’s maybe one of the reasons why we patronize not only their movies but also their many television series.

That movie put me in th
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Ann Matalines

Very creative! I do not doubt David Levithan’s ingenuity and even though I may not always be a fan of his stories (including this), I AM of his writing, intellect and boldness. I didn’t think it was possible to create a book with only so many pages and with only a paragraph or two a page but somehow, the author made it work.

P.S. Happy belated birthday to my dear friend, Ann who celebrated her birthday on November 1. I hope you had an amazing day, my sweet friend. <3
Megs ♥
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, z-2012-reads
I read this today, on Valentine's Day ♥, and it was a very interesting read. I love how this book explores the range of all different emotions people could ultimately experience in a relationship. I could really relate to so much of this book. This is not only a lovey-dovey story that will melt your heart. It is far more than that, and it is beautifully written.

The format of this book is very clever. Each page starts with a word dictionary style, and that's the format for the whole book which te
Monique
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tintin, Lynai
Recommended to Monique by: Tina
I've been trying to construct a review in my head for this book all weekend, having finished reading it on Saturday morning, but no matter what I came up with, I feel that it will not fully represent the feelings I had while reading this book. To say that I loved The Lover's Dictionary would be an understatement.

In a nutshell, The Lover's Dictionary is the simple love story of a couple, left unnamed by the author, told in dictionary form. Through carefully-chosen words, their love story unfurle
Tatiana
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Practically devoured this book. It reads like poetry - sparse, raw, emotional. It could as well have been a novel-in-verse so popular right now - just rearrange sentences in fancy ways and you are all set. But Leviathan does something very neat here - he writes a love story as a series of dictionary entries, each highlighting some part of the relationship. The entries are funny, infuriating and heartbreaking. And the love story itself is messy and complicated and yet so very real and touching.

ar
Alison
Jenn(ifer)
**************************

A MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXh4QQ...

**************************

re•view [ri-vyoo] noun
1. a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation.

I really wish I had had the mental energy to review this book back when I finished it, but I just wasn’t in the right psychic place to do so at the time. I read it soon after finishing AM/PM, and it fit right in with that sort of flash-fiction vi
Ahmad Sharabiani
The lover’s dictionary, David Levithan
The Lover's Dictionary is a 2011 novel by the American author David Levithan. It is his first novel for adults. This modern love story is told entirely through dictionary entries which are brief and concise having a very unusual pattern and style.
A nameless narrator tells the story of a relationship through dictionary entries. These short entries provide insight into the ups and downs of their romantic relationship, revealing the couple's problems with alco
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐[9/10]
Anachronism- noun
In a story, chronological order is indispensable. What? It doesn't have to be. David Levithan writes,

We do not divulge our histories chronologically. It’s not like we can sit each other down and say, “Tell me what happened,” and then rise from that conversation knowing everything. Most of the time, we don’t even realize that we’re dividing ourselves into clues.

This is not another of those stories where you expect a happy ending. Or a sad ending. Or an ending. A
Jo
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Catie
blemish, n.
The slight acne scars. The penny-sized, penny-shaped birthmark right above your knee. The dot below your shoulder that must have been from when you had chicken pox in the third grade.
The scratch on your neck- did I do that?
This brief transcript of moments, written on the body, is so deeply satisfying to read.

Wow, this book was gorgeous.

It took me about an hour to read (well, technically about 40 minutes... the other 20 minutes was taken up with me scrawling large chunks of this book i
Archit Ojha
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Don't you dare tell me that this is cheesy stuff.

This is exactly the kind of book I prefer.

Speaks volumes if you want to go out and figure out the documentation of two people being in love. It is messy and it is fun. It is good and it is bad. People laugh and people cry. The important thing being with each other.

Enter my wife.

She read this book and decided to write one along similar lines herself. The next thing I know is being handed over a present of our version of The Lover's Dictionary. If
Pooja
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Being a person who is truly, deeply, madly in love, I was bound to love this book.

I'm feeling like dancing!

Anuradha
I nearly gave this 3.5 stars, but oh, the creativity! There's always extra points for creativity. Always.

Trying to write about love is ultimately like trying to have a dictionary represent life. No matter how many words there are, there will never be enough. [From ineffable, adj.]

If Forest Gump taught you that life is a box of chocolates, The Lover's Dictionary teaches you that love isn't. Using mere words, and in an extraordinarily creative diary-like format, Levithan shows everyone the diff
Thomas
I seriously need a word for my signature squeal.

No, really. Sometimes when I read books like Gone With the Wind or Pride and Prejudice, I squeal. Well-written romance tends to do that to me. The Lover's Dictionary did that to me.

Allow me to share one of my favorite entries.

"brash, adj.

'I want you to spend the night,' you said. And it was definitely your phrasing that ensured it. If you had said, 'Let's have sex,' or 'Let's go to my place,' or even 'I really want you,' I'm not sure we would have
*eKa*
I hope I'm not the only person who can't relate to this "beautiful" book. Because to be honest, I can't. So sorry...

(I don't even know why I have to feel sorry about it...)

And don't get me wrong, guys. I've been in love and in a relationship but I guess we don't have much thing in common. So, it is what it is... But it's good to know how other people do in their love life, tho.

To me, this book is like a collection of short stories BUT mostly too short to get myself into it. Or maybe it's like
jessica
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
reread because its valentines day! so that means i have a hot date with this book, some chocolate, and a cosy blanket. its amazing how the concept of words and definitions can tell a love story. its books like this that challenge my conception of how a novel should read and i love them for it. who knew a dictionary could be so entertainingly adorable?!

5 stars
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
love, n.

/ləv/

1. an intense feeling of deep affection.

2. feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone).

3. "...a smoke raised with the fume of sighs;
Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes;
Being vexed, a sea nourished with loving tears.
What is it else? A madness most discreet,
A choking gall, and a preserving sweet."

4. not a single emotion, but an umbrella term for the entire range of emotions you experience in tandem with someone else.

When you're in love, you're also in hate. When
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This was really beautiful
Tina
Original post at One More Page

When I first heard about David Levithan's latest book, The Lover's Dictionary, I wanted to read it only because of the clever idea behind the book. I love anything that involves wordplay. I loved the idea that this book is told using dictionary words, and for some reason, this gives me the feeling that this book has a universal feel to it, like anyone could relate to an entry here at one point. I ordered a copy off Book Depository a few weeks ago after I realized
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

5 STARS!

Since I’m a huge Levithan fangirl, I got myself prepared to write this review by deciding to flag every “definition” that made me feel something while I was reading. Well, I definitely felt some things and flagged all some of the pages . . .

My feelings ranged from magical

like in the definitions of cache and gingerly and meander and posterity and rifle and sacrosanct and transient and unabashedly and woo and yesterday

to amus
Adam Silvera
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short commute to work? Buy this book.
Short attention span? Buy this book.
Need a bathroom read? Buy this book.
Love got you feeling down? Buy this book.
Love got you feeling up? Buy this book.
Love hiding from you? Buy this book.
Need your socks rocked off? BUY THIS BOOK!
Liv (Оља)
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2015, reread, 2016, 2017, 2018
I gravitate towards this book quite a lot and this has been my forth year reading it in a row. I suppose it's because Levithan has the same thoughts as I when it comes to certain themes and I just want to check whether my opinion has changed. This time I could actually experience it from the perspective of someone who lived through some of the situations that are described in this book and I found it to be even more relatable.

Also, fun fact, since the names of the main characters aren't mention
Inés Izal
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
-3.5-

"Y me descubrí pensando: si esto sigue adelante, si no se acaba, cuando muera, los recuerdos que deje en ti serán mi mayor logro en esta vida."

Cuanto cuquismo junto en un mismo libro, por Dios.
Isamlq
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure, I might have blinders on where this author is concerned because every book of his that I've read, I've really enjoyed... (Nick and Norah, Dash and Lily, the Will Graysons even Naomi and Ely were all wonderful reads!) With Lover's Dictionary, I didn't know what I was getting into. But good golly, that was different... and refreshing!

It tackled what's familiar from all the possible angles. One need not strain one's imagination to see how a word applied, because it just DID. Each
Alyssa
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who appreciate lyrical prose
The Lover’s Dictionary is my first Levithan book, but it definitely won’t be my last. I mean, when an author can come up with this,

juxtaposition, n.

It scares me how hard it is to remember life before you. I can’t even make the comparisons anymore, because my memories of that time have all the depth of a photograph. It seems foolish to play games of better or worse. It’s simply a matter of is and is no longer.

and later this,

lover, n.

I have never wanted a lover. In order to have a lover, I must go
Leyoh
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book is written beautifully. Perfect reading for a Sunday evening, Id imagine it'd be good for travelling too, when you have time to ponder and look out the window. It's delightful and sombre, honest too I think. Those that really stood out were:

Abstraction, arrears, blemish, breathtaking, disarray, juxtaposition, only and yearning.

My favourite's being:

Sacrosanct and posterity.

But if I had to pick one....

rest, v. and n.

Rest with me for the rest of this.
That’s it. Come closer.
We’re h
Mimi
It's been a long time since a book made me cry. This book didn't make me cry. It just reminded me that I haven't cried over fiction since Charlotte's Web.

Simply put, this book is an interesting way to tell a modern love story (from a writer's perspective), and an interesting way to see vocabulary words in new ways (from a reader's) while you watch different aspects of a relationship come together, stay together, fall apart, and then go through these stages again. If you're not currently in love
Paul
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw David Levithan read the book tonight at Borders in NYC--a moving evening. David's passion comes through each line read, each written. I love his books, but I didn't know he was such a wonderful performer. He feels deeply as he reads, and he's hilarious when he isn't breaking your heart--no, he's hilarious when he's breaking your heart too. His is a beautiful heart, such a generous artist. The Lover's Dictionary is one of the most creative novels I've read. Alphabetized entries headed by be ...more
  • Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List
  • With or Without You
  • A Little Wanting Song
  • The Talk-Funny Girl
  • Gone, Gone, Gone
  • Infinite Sky (Infinite Sky, #1)
  • Survival Songs
  • Don't Let Me Go
  • Winter Town
  • Eleven
  • What They Always Tell Us
  • Brooklyn, Burning
  • The Big Crunch
  • Dear Old Love: Anonymous Notes to Former Crushes, Sweethearts, Husbands, Wives,   Ones That Got Away
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • At the Stroke of Midnight (The Naughty Princess Club, #1)
  • Wreckage
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you.” 3064 likes
“livid, adj.

Fuck You for cheating on me. Fuck you for reducing it to the word cheating. As if this were a card game, and you sneaked a look at my hand. Who came up with the term cheating, anyway? A cheater, I imagine. Someone who thought liar was too harsh. Someone who thought devastator was too emotional. The same person who thought, oops, he’d gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Fuck you. This isn’t about slipping yourself an extra twenty dollars of Monopoly money. These are our lives. You went and broke our lives. You are so much worse than a cheater. You killed something. And you killed it when its back was turned.”
2213 likes