Start by marking “Duct Tape Marketing Revised and Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide” as Want to Read:
Duct Tape Marketing Revised and   Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide

Is Your Marketing as Simple, Effective, and Affordable as Duct Tape?

Let's face it, as a small business owner, you are really in the business of marketing.  The problem for most small business owners is that they suffer from "marketing idea of the week" syndrome instead of implementing a systematic approach to the problem of small business marketing.

In Duct Tape Marketing,
Published September 26th 2011 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published 2006)

Rob
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners and marketers
Recommended to Rob by: coppyblogger.com
Duct Tape Marketing claims, on its cover, to be “The World’s Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide,” and I think it largely owns up to its promise.

As a marketing guy at a small business (Cambridge Semantics) that’s only recently started to do any real marketing, I found this book to be well worth the read. The material presented doesn’t offer any new revelations. Instead, what it does do to give new life to familiar ground by laying out, in a step-by-step system, how to start from zero a
Chad Warner
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: small business owners, marketers
This guide is bursting with small business marketing strategy and tactics. It’s well-written and practical, based on extensive firsthand experience. The system advocates an expanded version of the marketing funnel, content marketing, digital marketing, and lead conversion.

I found welcome advice about creating a core marketing message, positioning, and generating referrals. All of those are areas I’ve been working to refine with my web design agency, OptimWise.

I read this because I found the Duct
Josh Steimle
Great book for small business owners trying to figure out how to market on a budget.
Almir
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is about marketing and it does offer many valuable content from which you can learn a lot about marketing. I think this book is best suited for beginners and for those who are in middle, but I wouldn’t recommend it to those who already are experts and know a lot about marketing. But more on that in last section.

I was looking for a marketing book that could help me get some ideas on how to create better marketing strategy for my blog; to get more
Denise McLachlan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information

This book mostly gives information on marketing for brick and mortar shops or service industries. He does touch on internet marketing in the second to last chapter, and I bought the book for more of the online marketing help. All of his information is very good and well written and organized so you can follow it step by step. It just wasn't for me, and I wish he would have said something in his description of the book.
Mike
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I really enjoyed this book. I read quite a bit on marketing and I was surprised by how much actionable advice was in this book. I think the author did a fantastic job of laying down the basic foundation for a good marketing plan. My only slight complaint is that by the end of the book, I was ready for it to be over.
Nickolai
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Очень интересная и ценная первая часть: нашел в ней много полезных для себя идей. Вторая и третья части, на мой взгляд, возможно, и применимы в американской практике, но к сожалению, вряд ли пригодятся в нашей действительности.
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very practical step-by-step advice. Generated a lot brainstorm ideas for me.
Adrienne
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usefull
Fanny
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Solid book, even though some of it (mostly at the end) is starting to be a tad dated. It's 2018, and you can read over half of the book in full confidence you'll get up-to-date info.
Antreina E.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good practical tips. And when you think how sturdy duck tape is, it will make you stick to your plan without getting unglued. Good read.
Walter Adamson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, I have found all of John Jantsch's books to be totally down to earth and practical. If you implement, you will get results. Duct Tape Marketing is in that tradition.
Joseph Riden
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read for implementing down-to-earth marketing. Recommended.
Miguel
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no silver bullet for the small business owner, but this book might be helpful to many

After having read two or three of these marketing books targeted at small businesses, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for the genre is to follow some sort of middle way between being a haphazard assortment of tips and “secrets” and a proper system in which all the parts of a method click together like a well-oiled machine. This book achieves that to a considerable degree, by being a li
Robin
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gogo
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Duct Tape Marketing a few years ago after coming across the author's website online, and picking up an excellent free report that gave me great ideas on improving my sales presentation packet.

The main idea of the book is to provide small businesses with a framework for marketing systematically and for sharing a consistent (coherent?) marketing message with leads, clients and even media.

Like its namesake product, this book is practical, versatile and delivers huge return on investme
Bill Harrison
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Duct Tape Marketing" has a somewhat legendary status among small business marketers. There is a whole consulting industry centered around implementing the strategies discussed in this book. And by and large those strategies are very sound. For a small business with little or no marketing, this book is a great place to start. It will take you step by step through the process of creating a marketing function, prioritizing your marketing strategy, and implementing your plans. My only criticism is ...more
Michael Tarpinian
The errors kept forcing me to put this book down. Otherwise, I would have read it in a month and rated it five stars and a favorite.

The marketing ideas are very good. This might be one of the top marketing books available for micro business and small business owners/marketers. The flaw is the editing. John's other work, such as articles or his podcast, all seem to have the same fast and loose quality control.

This book has typos, missing punctuation (including terminal punctuation like periods)
Eric Ungs
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely needs to be in the hands of anyone doing any kind of business. It's a thought-provoking read in the way you view your own business image and how you can get your customers to see it the same way, if not better. The short review tips at the end of each chapter are excellent refreshers and the examples are idea generators. Everyone is in the marketing business and finding out who your ideal customer is and what you are really selling is the start of a solid campaign. Part of t ...more
Hilary
It's got some excellent ideas about getting and retaining customers, and covers some good tools and resources, but also unfortunately also suggests too many of those marketing tactics I find incredibly annoying (especially in the chapters about getting referrals and direct mail).

For those worried about the publication date it *has* been updated, and includes references to current web tools and strategies, but as you read it's obvious that the whole book hasn't been updated, just certain sections
Robert Bogue
It’s hard to think of something that’s more practical than duct tape. Whether you’re a fan of the TV show MythBusters or you’ve got your own stories about what you’ve been able to do with duct tape, you know it’s pretty amazing stuff. Duct Tape Marketing promises to help you put together marketing with a limited budget – as other books like Guerilla Marketing do. I stumbled across the book from a friend of mine having forwarded a seminar – that I couldn’t attend but I decided to invest in the bo ...more
Scott Sakamoto
One of those "Have to Read" marketing books if you own your own business.

Written in 2006, it offers many good "Basic" ideas and concepts of how to communicate what your business does and what value you offer to a potential new customer or client. i.e. "What's in it for them".

An amusing note from me - because it was written in 2006, references to Internet Marketing have evolved "Lightyears" beyond what is stated in the book = Relevant, but their are many new Internet Marketing tools available now
Jason Kosarek
Its hard to insult a book for being what it intended to be... but I'm going to. This book reads like a collection of blogs (which it is) and because of this reads with no cohesiveness. This made it difficult to keep interest.

I was reading this to see what cheap marketing techniques from the small business world can be used on a larger scale. There were a few, but the intended audience for this book would probably find this worlds more engaging.
Jamie Belanger
I read the first half, then just sort of stopped. When I attempted to return to the book, I couldn't justify reading the latter half. At first, this was an interesting book, but then the author started veering into territory that my particular business simply doesn't need (like direct mail marketing). I lost interest around that point and stopped reading. But if you're running a retail business with a physical presence, you'd probably get a lot more out of that latter half than I did.
Jesse Stoddard
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview and primer on marketing for all small businesses. It really does live up to the sub-title too. The only thing lacking is that the chapters involving technology are a bit dated. This could easily be fixed with a new edition, but the principles and concepts are very solid nonetheless. I used this book and the software as the basis for a complete marketing plan I wrote recently for a medium-sized company and we feel it was a worthy endeavor with tangible results.
Dani Rowley
This read as if Jantsch texted this whole book. I don't think I've ever read a less edited book. Even he is aware of his atrocious grammar but does nothing to correct it. It did have some useful tidbits but it ran predominantly on cliches. He hates telemarketing as a marketing tool but has no research to back that up.
Reuben Rail
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A necessity for anyone running their own business. Really. Jantsch gives an overview of the whole marketing process from A to Z and goes in at a readable depth with real life examples packed along the way. If you like it I also recommend checking out his blog at http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog to continue your business education.
Sergei_kalinin
Рецензия на книгу в моём блоге: http://s-kalinin.blogspot.ru/2015/05/... Книга ОЧЕНЬ хороша для малого-малого :) бизнеса, в котором "сами себе маркетологи". В книге очень хорошо про интеграцию онлайн и оффлайн маркетинга. Много практических советов и актуальных инструментов онлайн-маркетинга.
Rebecca
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get the jist of this book. It didn't feel like there was much I could apply personally, and there were a number of things that just didn't seem to make sense for what I expected. For me the best advice was the "talking logo", turning your stated business purpose into a short phrase. I think it is a better idea than an elevator speech as it seems a more natural segue to use.
Daron Yondem
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-learn
This is a very practical book where best practices and suggestions are offered instead of an understanding of how to craft your own best practices and strategies. I'm not saying the approach of the book is wrong but it is just something every reader might want to know. At the end this is "duct tape marketing" and the content matches perfectly.
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • The End of Business as Usual: Rewire the Way You Work to Succeed in the Consumer Revolution
  • Selling the Dream
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • The Small Business Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Succeed in Your Small Business
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
“My definition of marketing is: “getting someone who has a need, to know, like, and trust you.” 1 likes
“While advertising was once used primarily to create a sale or enhance an image, it must now be used to create awareness about Web content. • While SEO was at one time primarily a function of optimizing a Web site, it must now be a function of optimizing brand assets across social media. • While lead generation used to consist of broadcasting messages, it must now rely heavily on being found in the right place at the right time. • While lead conversion in the past often consisted of multiple sales calls to supply information, it must now supplement Web information gathering with value delivery. • While referrals used to be a simple matter of passing a name, they now rely heavily on an organization’s online reputation, ratings, and reviews. • While physical store location has always mattered, online location for the local business has become a life-and-death matter.” 1 likes