Start by marking “Duct Tape Marketing Revised and Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide” as Want to Read:
Duct Tape Marketing Revised and   Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide

As a renowned marketing guru and small business coach, John Jantsch has become a leading advisor on how to build and grow a thriving business. In his trusted book for small businesses, he challenges readers to craft a marketing strategy that is as reliable as the go-to household item we all know, love, and turn to in a pinch: duct tape. Duct Tape Marketing shows readers ho ...more
Published September 26th 2011 by HarperCollins Leadership (first published 2006)

Start your review of Duct Tape Marketing Revised and Updated: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
Rob
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: small business owners and marketers
Recommended to Rob by: coppyblogger.com
Duct Tape Marketing claims, on its cover, to be “The World’s Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide,” and I think it largely owns up to its promise.

As a marketing guy at a small business (Cambridge Semantics) that’s only recently started to do any real marketing, I found this book to be well worth the read. The material presented doesn’t offer any new revelations. Instead, what it does do to give new life to familiar ground by laying out, in a step-by-step system, how to start from zero a
Chad Warner
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: small business owners, marketers
This guide is bursting with small business marketing strategy and tactics. It’s well-written and practical, based on extensive firsthand experience. The system advocates an expanded version of the marketing funnel, content marketing, digital marketing, and lead conversion.

I found welcome advice about creating a core marketing message, positioning, and generating referrals. All of those are areas I’ve been working to refine with my web design agency, OptimWise.

I read this because I found the Duct
Josh Steimle
Great book for small business owners trying to figure out how to market on a budget.
Almir
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is about marketing and it does offer many valuable content from which you can learn a lot about marketing. I think this book is best suited for beginners and for those who are in middle, but I wouldn’t recommend it to those who already are experts and know a lot about marketing. But more on that in last section.

I was looking for a marketing book that could help me get some ideas on how to create better marketing strategy for my blog; to get more
Julie  Capell
Well-organized and comprehensive guide to marketing for a small business. There is a TON of great info here, and the recommendations seem achievable by a normal small business person. Some, such as identifying your ideal client and creating a core marketing message, I was already very familiar with, but there is some great advice here that I haven't seen elsewhere. For instance, specific questions to ask current clients that will help you position your marketing. Content creation gets its own ch ...more
Mark
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I should have read the Goodreads synopsis first. Had I seen the author described as a "guru" and a business "coach", I would have run away immediately. Instead, I bought this book and now it sits... in my trashcan. If you try to implement even a fraction of the garbage he advises here you will be out of business before you are finished. Just an example of his cutting edge strategy? A whole chapter dedicated to the superiority of direct mail marketing! That stuff I throw into recycling on my way ...more
Denise McLachlan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information

This book mostly gives information on marketing for brick and mortar shops or service industries. He does touch on internet marketing in the second to last chapter, and I bought the book for more of the online marketing help. All of his information is very good and well written and organized so you can follow it step by step. It just wasn't for me, and I wish he would have said something in his description of the book.
Mike
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I read quite a bit on marketing and I was surprised by how much actionable advice was in this book. I think the author did a fantastic job of laying down the basic foundation for a good marketing plan. My only slight complaint is that by the end of the book, I was ready for it to be over.
Holly Buxton
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Duct tape marketing is indeed a very practical guide to marketing for a small business. The updated version has woven the original principles into the ever changing role of online platforms for marketing a small business. The terms provide a good language for a company to use in training employees in marketing. I look forward to applying many of these principles in my own small business work.
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very practical step-by-step advice. Generated a lot brainstorm ideas for me.
Antreina E.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good practical tips. And when you think how sturdy duck tape is, it will make you stick to your plan without getting unglued. Good read.
Fanny
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Solid book, even though some of it (mostly at the end) is starting to be a tad dated. It's 2018, and you can read over half of the book in full confidence you'll get up-to-date info.
Joseph Riden
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read for implementing down-to-earth marketing. Recommended.
Walter Adamson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, I have found all of John Jantsch's books to be totally down to earth and practical. If you implement, you will get results. Duct Tape Marketing is in that tradition.
Brandon
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid book. Great insights for someone totally starting from scratch. Might not be as applicable for someone who has been in business for a few years, but still absolutely worth the read.
Marvin Musfiq
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great practical marketing guide for startup.
Alexandra
Really great ideas but had to start skimming after two-thirds.
Brett Olson
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a small business, you owe it to yourself to read this book.
I first ordered it on audio book CD and listened to in my car, I've since bought copies for my friends.

We're in business because we are good at some technical aspect, myself I'm a Mortgage Broker.

The only marketing training I've had has been self taught and this book is perfect for that.

I received no marketing training in the training modules for my Mortgage Broker qualifications and if I asked you the same question you'd prob
Miguel
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no silver bullet for the small business owner, but this book might be helpful to many

After having read two or three of these marketing books targeted at small businesses, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for the genre is to follow some sort of middle way between being a haphazard assortment of tips and “secrets” and a proper system in which all the parts of a method click together like a well-oiled machine. This book achieves that to a considerable degree, by being a li
Robin
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gogo
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Duct Tape Marketing a few years ago after coming across the author's website online, and picking up an excellent free report that gave me great ideas on improving my sales presentation packet.

The main idea of the book is to provide small businesses with a framework for marketing systematically and for sharing a consistent (coherent?) marketing message with leads, clients and even media.

Like its namesake product, this book is practical, versatile and delivers huge return on investme
Bill Harrison
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Duct Tape Marketing" has a somewhat legendary status among small business marketers. There is a whole consulting industry centered around implementing the strategies discussed in this book. And by and large those strategies are very sound. For a small business with little or no marketing, this book is a great place to start. It will take you step by step through the process of creating a marketing function, prioritizing your marketing strategy, and implementing your plans. My only criticism is ...more
Michael Tarpinian
The errors kept forcing me to put this book down. Otherwise, I would have read it in a month and rated it five stars and a favorite.

The marketing ideas are very good. This might be one of the top marketing books available for micro business and small business owners/marketers. The flaw is the editing. John's other work, such as articles or his podcast, all seem to have the same fast and loose quality control.

This book has typos, missing punctuation (including terminal punctuation like periods)
Eric Ungs
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely needs to be in the hands of anyone doing any kind of business. It's a thought-provoking read in the way you view your own business image and how you can get your customers to see it the same way, if not better. The short review tips at the end of each chapter are excellent refreshers and the examples are idea generators. Everyone is in the marketing business and finding out who your ideal customer is and what you are really selling is the start of a solid campaign. Part of t ...more
Hilary
It's got some excellent ideas about getting and retaining customers, and covers some good tools and resources, but also unfortunately also suggests too many of those marketing tactics I find incredibly annoying (especially in the chapters about getting referrals and direct mail).

For those worried about the publication date it *has* been updated, and includes references to current web tools and strategies, but as you read it's obvious that the whole book hasn't been updated, just certain sections
Robert Bogue
It’s hard to think of something that’s more practical than duct tape. Whether you’re a fan of the TV show MythBusters or you’ve got your own stories about what you’ve been able to do with duct tape, you know it’s pretty amazing stuff. Duct Tape Marketing promises to help you put together marketing with a limited budget – as other books like Guerilla Marketing do. I stumbled across the book from a friend of mine having forwarded a seminar – that I couldn’t attend but I decided to invest in the bo ...more
Scott Sakamoto
One of those "Have to Read" marketing books if you own your own business.

Written in 2006, it offers many good "Basic" ideas and concepts of how to communicate what your business does and what value you offer to a potential new customer or client. i.e. "What's in it for them".

An amusing note from me - because it was written in 2006, references to Internet Marketing have evolved "Lightyears" beyond what is stated in the book = Relevant, but their are many new Internet Marketing tools available now
Jason Kosarek
Its hard to insult a book for being what it intended to be... but I'm going to. This book reads like a collection of blogs (which it is) and because of this reads with no cohesiveness. This made it difficult to keep interest.

I was reading this to see what cheap marketing techniques from the small business world can be used on a larger scale. There were a few, but the intended audience for this book would probably find this worlds more engaging.
Jamie Belanger
I read the first half, then just sort of stopped. When I attempted to return to the book, I couldn't justify reading the latter half. At first, this was an interesting book, but then the author started veering into territory that my particular business simply doesn't need (like direct mail marketing). I lost interest around that point and stopped reading. But if you're running a retail business with a physical presence, you'd probably get a lot more out of that latter half than I did.
Jesse Stoddard
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview and primer on marketing for all small businesses. It really does live up to the sub-title too. The only thing lacking is that the chapters involving technology are a bit dated. This could easily be fixed with a new edition, but the principles and concepts are very solid nonetheless. I used this book and the software as the basis for a complete marketing plan I wrote recently for a medium-sized company and we feel it was a worthy endeavor with tangible results.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Business Model Generation
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, eBooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing Out of Sync?
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
  • Free Prize Inside!: The Next Big Marketing Idea
  • Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
John Jantsch is a small business marketing speaker, marketing consultant, and bestselling author of Duct Tape Marketing, Duct Tape Selling, The Commitment Engine & The Referral Engine.

Look for The Self-Reliant Entrepreneur in Oct 2019.