Start by marking “Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen” as Want to Read:
Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen

Enter the Kettlebell!: Strength Secret of the Soviet Supermen

With Enter the Kettlebell! Pavel delivers a significant upgrade to his original landmark work, The Russian Kettlebell Challenge. Drawing on five years of developing and leading the world's first and premiere kettlebell instructor certification program, and after spending five years of additional research into what really works for dramatic results with the kettlebell-we ha ...more
Published January 5th 2006 by Dragon Door Publications (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Enter the Kettlebell!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter the Kettlebell!

Jacob Aitken
This book was surprisingly good. I made the earlier mistake of watching one of Pavel's Youtube videos and it turned me off. Then I read someone say how he used humor. That, too, turned me off. Needless to say, this book was the opposite of what I expected--and it was very useful.

Pavel corrected a lot of moves I was doing, and thus spared me from some serious injuries. If you pick up a kb and start swinging and cleaning, you will hurt your wrist. Painfully. Pavel shows you some basic pointers.

ED
11 Crimes
Sep 17, 2014 11 Crimes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love kettlebells, and this is probably my favorite entry level kettlebell book. Make no mistake, Pavel used to come off like a bit of a marketing caricature in his earlier days with dragondoor, but he is absolutely the real deal. His stuff works, period. If he needs to play it up a little to get his stuff out to a bigger audience, so be it, as long as it works I'm fine with that.

Kettlebells really bridged the gap between maximum strength and strength-endurance/power for me. I was skeptical at
Kendra Ware
Dec 28, 2011 Kendra Ware rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for starting kettlebell training. The step by step instruction on different exercises is very easy to follow. There is not an actual workout program outlined in the book but a companion pdf called 'Enter the kettlebell...the workout' by Anthony DiLuglio can be found for free online. DiLuglio's workout takes the concepts and exercises from the book and puts them into a 12-week kettlebell program.
Wojciech Pietrzak
Feb 16, 2014 Wojciech Pietrzak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
The best book for beginners.
Justine
Nov 27, 2013 Justine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would be 3 stars because of the good coaching tips but the macho bravado is a little too much for me.
Mary Ann Merlin
May 25, 2017 Mary Ann Merlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The man knows his stuff.

Young and old alike can benefit from Pavel's book. If you know nothing, this books is for you. If you think you know something, this book for you. Don't want sound too obvious, the man is single handedly made kettle bell a household word. In my book he is the Founder of the Feast. Absolutely, no way to go wrong. Go old school; go with Pavel, the Russian special forces trainer. Jt. Merlin.
Joe Koennecke
Jan 28, 2017 Joe Koennecke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
The starting point for anyone interested in kettlebells. A great overview, history, and text book all in one. The descriptions and step-by-step images make putting words on a page into practice pretty easy if you have even basic experience with KBS. If not a couple of videos and this book are all you need.
Svetlana
Dec 31, 2014 Svetlana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read both Pavel’s entry books on kettlebells and Steve Cotter’s around the same time. Rather than reviewing them separately I will compare them.
First off, Pavel’s books. I will start with positives. Enter the KB book is a very good starter for 10 for anyone looking to start KB-ing. It’s simple, straight to the point and its explanations are very easy to grasp. If Pavel says – push your butt back, it’s not difficult to imagine what to do. The structure of the book is quite good and suggestions
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Apr 04, 2012 Ramón Nogueras Pérez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
Este libro te enseña lo necesario para usar las pesas rusas (kettlebells) y sus ejercicios básicos.

El autor, Pavel Tsatsouline, es el responsable de haber puesto de moda estas pesas, y tiene una aproximación muy de la vieja escuela al ejercicio que es interesante y útil. El estilo de escritura es a menudo autoparódico porque se mete en su personaje del Ruso Malvado a tope, te llama camarada cada dos por tres, y cosas así, pero la información es extremadamente útil, y la explicación de los ejerci
Anne
Feb 03, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pavel Tsatsouline (like many innovators) is unfortunately not the best spokesperson for his product.
As soon as he publishes a book it is out of date (which is a good thing) because the practice keeps evolving and changing.

I was hoping this book would be more of a reference manual, provide understanding what the exercises are actually doing anatomically or provide a list of how to combine exercises etc. There is so much that can be explained about the physics and mechanics of how kettelbells sh
Ellen
This book is an excellent choice if you have never used kettlebells, are just getting into kettlebells, or even if you have been using them for a while. Pavel does a very thorough job of going through the proper way to perform the most common kettlebell moves, with detailed descriptions as well as pictures of what to do/not to do. The book also goes through some history of how kettlebell training came to be.

If you are looking for a book that has lots of different kettlebell workouts or ways to c
Salamah
I have been working out with my kettlebell since June of 2012 and once I found this little ball I fell in love. I love my kettlebell. It really helped me drop those last few baby pounds and strengthen up. So when I found this book I was really excited. I enjoyed this book because it gave good information about the history of the kettlebell and how Russians used it to train. There are not many moves listed here which makes this book a little disappointing. However there is some humor which makes ...more
P. Es
Kettlebells...I...kettlebells. I'm all about it after a little playing around and one solid, exhausting workout. the possibilities are endless. this particular book supercedes his "russian kettlebell challenge"...2 weeks in now and recovery from each workout is less and less time. the title hasn't gotten any less dumb - but I've actually been reading the book. especially helpful is the concept of ladders, which he uses elsewhere. life otherwise too hectic to organize things properly to make any ...more
Nikola
Apr 08, 2015 Nikola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Pavel's masterpiece in my opinion! I almost exclusively train with kettlebells using the protocols in this book. It has a beginner and intermediate/advanced programs. It also fully incorporates snatches, which his newer book does not. The results I have obtained from months of steady ETK work are nothing short of fantastic. I have lost weight, my muscles are harder, my cardio has improved and I spend relatively little time in the gym. Once every few months I will break up the kb training ...more
Barry Lew
Aug 03, 2014 Barry Lew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good introduction to kettlebell training that covers proper form on the basic movements: swing, clean and press, snatch, and get-up.

It has some basic programming that will get you started. The ladders for the clean and press are a great beginning routine that allows for quick progression in strengthening your shoulders and core.

Pavel's style is a bit breezy and a bit stereotypical but very entertaining. I'll probably get his other book on double kettlebell training once I become more pr
Rob
Feb 17, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great intro into lifting kettlebells. The Program Minimum and Rite of Passage have lead me to great strength gains. The programs and techniques are clear and well laid out; simple enough for a beginner and challenging enough for an experienced lifter. There is quite a bit of advertising fodder in the back and Pavel's humor is not easily understood by everyone, however the book is a classic for the kettlebell lifter.
Josh
Aug 20, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author references his other books. This one fits together nicely with them. The style is the same: Build from basics, and photos help to demonstrate correct and incorrect form.

Begin with the Get-up [ExRx separates the DB and KB versions.] Swings come later.
Liz
Mar 28, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love kettlebell training. It's the coolest thing I've done in a gym. I've been training for awhile and I'm still as excited about it as ever. The only reason this is four stars and not five is because of the sexism. I understand why it's like that, but I can still have a moment to hate it. Sexism sucks. And is false. I've seen a 135 lb lady do a Turkish get up with a 40 kg bell. Don't tell me we're not as strong.
Jason Twombly
What is a kettlebell? It's a cannonball with a handle. The Harley Davidson of exercise equipment. Pavel, the evil Russian writes his book the way Clint Eastwood would chew kettlebells and spit them out. I like his no nonsense militaristic approach.

Pavel's lists a variety of exercises to choose from and the book offers pictures of how to perform them correctly. I found this book to be a very helpful intro to using a kettlebell, but found his writing to be as digestive as a cannonball salad.
Andrew
This book is ok. It's a good overview of some basic kettlebell exercises and it provides good tips on form and and common mistakes. In saying that, there's a lot of extra dialogue and promotion on the pages that just doesn't need to be there. If you just want to learn some basic kettlebell exercises, skip this book and hit bodybuilding.com. If you want to be entertained and don't mind the fluff, read this book and enjoy the ride.
Dan
Jun 21, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
An excellent intro to kettlebell workouts, written with a great sense of dry Russian wit. Very clear and detailed descriptions of exercises and drills to get you ready for the exercises, plus two plans to take you from zero to 'girevik' (Russian strongman).

The proof will be in the execution though - this time next year, will I be snatching a 1.5 pood bell? Seems unlikely right now, but I'm ready to give it a go.
Joe Duboulay
A very thorough teaching of the basics of working out with kettlebells in book form however I do think that the average person wanting to get started with Kettlebells should still seek out a certified trainer to ensure proper form so as to prevent injuries. Pavel's style is entertaining with just enough sarcastic humor thrown in to keep things light.
NFARCH
Dec 12, 2015 NFARCH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion this is the number 1 kettlebell training book currently on the market. A balanced program that includes snatches and swings, with a couple methods of progression. As simple as it can be while still remaining ultra effective.
Teemu Kemppainen
Good and detailed instructions with pictures and common mistakes to get your kettlebell training going. That takes about 10 pages and the rest is more or less nonsense about Russian kettlebell history or army. Style is still quite funny, Comrade.
Jeremy
May 26, 2011 Jeremy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was not impressed. Has very few exercises, and he has some very weird training ideas such as never varying your workout! The whole book is not evidence based. Also, his ladder concept is very poorly described. It's definitely more a promotional work. The whole comrade thing doesn't get old though.
Chamileon85
Apr 12, 2010 Chamileon85 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Goal is toning
This is basically the kettle bell bible. When you want to take your strength gains to the next level, this is the way to go.

Matthew Miller
Jan 19, 2012 Matthew Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comrade, this is a book you need if you wish to complete your kettlebell right of passage. Pavel cracks me up (I don't think.he means to be hilarious but he is to me). all you need to know to get stronger with my very favorite weight training tools.
Geert Theys
A few pages on how to perform a safe form while using KB's are relevant.

80% of the book is promotion of the KB sport. Self promotion of the writer and trying to sell of other books or DVD's.

You can find the important content for free on the internet.
Deirdre
A lot of macho bravado and not my book.

This is not to say that this probably isn't a good book for another person but for me it's not what I need to learn. This isn't a beginners book and is a book that would be useful after a few classes but it grated a bit with the attitude.
Reuben
Dec 18, 2012 Reuben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For 90+% of people this will be all the workout they'd ever need. Best time to results ratio, maybe ever, and equipment is only a few kettlebells
  • Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss, and Bulletproof Joints
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to Lean and Powerful: Using Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable, Lasting and Dramatic Physical Change
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Strong Enough?: Thoughts from Thirty Years of Barbell Training
  • 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength
  • You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible Of Bodyweight Exercises For Men And Women
  • Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies
  • The Warrior Diet
  • Fat Loss Happens on Monday
  • Inside the Box: The Culture, Science, and Sweat of the CrossFit Revolution
  • Strength Training Anatomy
  • Entering the Silence: Becoming a Monk and a Writer
  • Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
  • The New Saint Joseph Sunday Missal, Complete Edition (Red Vinyl)
  • Power Speed ENDURANCE: A Skill-Based Approach to Endurance Training
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Russians are easy to spot, even if you dress them like Buckingham Palace guards. They are “the white people who look seriously ticked off,” as Army Ranger vet Ellis Jones, RKC, has put it on our forum.” 1 likes
“doing the perfect kettlebell swing alone is superior to 99 percent of the sophisticated strength and conditioning programs out there.” 0 likes