Start by marking “Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling” as Want to Read:
Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling

Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling

Tips and techniques for making food look good—before it tastes good!

Food photography is on the rise, with the millions of food bloggers around the word as well as foodies who document their meals or small business owners who are interested in cutting costs by styling and photographing their own menu items, and this book should serve as your first course in food

Published (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Plate to Pixel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plate to Pixel

Start your review of Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling
Alicia
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Helene Dujardin is a wonderful food photographer. Here, she's written a book to guide aspiring food photographers (or food bloggers) into learning the art. I've always enjoy food photography, but had never put any effort into styling or using props. I simply plated food and use my skills as a photographer to get images that were good, but not great. Sure, as a photographer I know how to take pictures, but it's the styling portion that makes the photographs more interesting, and I didn't have ...more
Sharon
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers
I just chanced upon this wonderful photography book through the author's website. www.tarteletteblog.com
The blog is a combination of terrific recipes, and more terrific photos. This book is brand new. It is a how-to photograph and style food. But the information crosses into other genres. You might not be interested in the book but we all love food...so try her website.
JDAZDesigns
There's no denying... This is a beautiful book. C'mon! It's filled with pictures by Helene Dujardin. She's fabulous and really knows her stuff. I was very much caught up in just looking. Then, of course, I wanted recipes for half of the pictures in the book.

But that's not what this book is all about. This book is "about" photography. Specifically, photographing food. Which is really difficult. I am great with people, animals, still life. But food is something I'm trying to master. Because it's
Leah Hortin
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found it most beneficial to actually look at her pictures and the settings that she used to achieve that photo. The tone was very informal, which I appreciate. She's obviously knowledgeable in food styling and photography. I did disregard a lot of the information, especially on artificial lighting, because I eat what I prepare and photograph and don't have lengthy photo shoots. Reading this book did give me a little more confidence and renewed my desire for good ...more
Splendie Eva
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My comment may not be accurate as this is my first photography book. The book is well presented - ofcuz. Writing is very good over my expectation. Not the boring technical more than a diary of professional photographer or a story telling. Somehow i wonder the page turned because I am fall in photography or the story. Charming and easy to catch for a very amateur ..like me. U may find a smile on your face while reading it...

Have fun!
Athisaya Divya
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies, photographers, food bloggers
Shelves: foodie-books
Being a food blogger and interested in food photography, I absolutely loved reading the book! It has so much information about food styling, camera techniques, composition, lighting etc. The author herself being a cook and a blogger touches all topics right from plating to editing pictures and copyright issues. The book is filled with beautiful food pictures that make you drool! I see myself using some of the techniques I learnt from this book in the future..
Fatemah  Alhusayni
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: photographers, food bloggers, foodies
I really enjoyed reading this book. I enjoyed all the gorgeous pictures, the tips, tricks and the process of cooking the dish to finalizing the shot that Helene explained. The book can use more organization and spell checking, but otherwise it is a very good book/reference to have. If you are serious about food photography read this book.
Nags
It was a useful read, but I felt like there wasn't much extra if you consider all the useful photography resources online. I am not sure I would buy it and refer back to it, just nice for a one-time-read.
Ashani  Hettige
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy explanations,thorough food styling tips and amazing studio setups. Couldn't ask for more for an aspiring food stylist and a food photographer!!!
Rogue Reader
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-writing
Shows poorly photographed plates and how to correct and improve the photography. Lots of props used in this styling
Pechluck Laskey
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography & Styling by Helene Dujardin of the blog Tartlette. I don't do very much recipe photography from my cooking- more often it's food while I'm out at a restaurant or event- but I was sure there were still tidbits I could learn.

This book is written with the voice of hands on experience, yet also casual and conversationally that keeps a reader engaged like being taught by a friend. She often tells an anecdote from her past, and there are plenty of pictures
Charlotte
I read this in a weekend to get to know the most basic settings of my camera when I was entirely new to photography. I like to take photos of food, this is why I picked this book over a general book on photography.
The writing is easy to follow and understand even for a non-native English speaker. Most of the information you can apply to any type of still photography, not just food. I found Chapter 2 (Camera Settings and Modes), Chapter 3 (Natural Light Photography) and Chapter 5 (Composition)
Dolf Patijn
Because as a photographer I was asked to get involved in a cookbook to raise money for cancer services, I thought I better start reading up on food photography because I don't have a whole lot of experience in this field. Plate to Pixel gives a lot of information on the subject but, in my case, a bit too much as Helen Dujardin includes a lot of general photography knowledge which is great for people who don't really know much about shutter speeds and aperture but wasn't necessary for me. The ...more
Hana Jay Klokner
I bought this book to give me an overview on how to become better at photographing food for my blog. I've been a big fan of Helene from Tartalette for some time and her photos looks always brilliant. Her book gave me a chance to pick her brains, and learn how to make everything easier and more fun. The book starts with the basics (exposition, focus, ISO, etc.) but gives a lot of good advice on where to get nice props and how to style food for your photos. It does not go into detail with the ...more
Sherry Conrad
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am interested in becoming a better photographer with a passion for writing, developing recipes and food - so much so that I will be starting a blog this year, and this book has been invaluable to me. The photographs are gorgeous and I am overflowing with ideas for props. I believe that having read this book I will come out of the gate ahead of the game since my pictures should be of such a quality that they are pinterest worthy and will get mouths watering to try the delicious food I plan to ...more
Paul Deveaux
Decent book on food photography. This is geared towards someone with little or no photography experience. The author spends the majority of the book talking about photography basics. The section on styling food is actually more about creating interesting compositions than actually styling food. There's no information in here about using motor oil in place of maple syrup or scotch guarding pancakes. The author tends to prefer natural light and being able to eat the food after the shoot. A decent ...more
Paula Quinene
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Taking pictures and setting up a "scene" comes more naturally to some than others. This book is quite helpful for both camps. My husband taught me that using a camera is all about the light. Helen does an excellent job in describing how to manipulate light. I used to shoot food pics with artificial light at night when the household was asleep, but am a total convert to using natural light now, even in the midst of children running around. Helen's photos within the book are on-point for her ...more
Rachel
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Checked this book out of the library to see if I could improve my food photography on my blog. This book is a great resource. Not only did it cover everything from camera settings to lighting to food placement but also provided clear examples. The author took multiple shots of the same food set up so you could accurately see changes in lighting etc.
My only complaint is this book is really more of a manual than something you can read in one sitting. Definitely something to have next to you while
Joy Weese Moll
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Starting with photography basics and ending with post-processing, Plate to Pixel by Hélène Dujardin provides a soup to nuts guide on shooting photos of food. She works commercially, now, but she got her start as a food blogger at Tartelette. The focus of the book is on home cooks and bloggers although there is advice for photographers who want to work in advertising and magazines.

More thoughts (and a photo!) on my blog: Book Review: Plate to Pixel by Helene Dujardin.
Tara Brabazon
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book. It is a coffee table book for people interested in glossy and truly beautiful photography. However, for those of us trying to improve our photography, there are outstanding hints and tips presented. The prose is clear and precise. The photographs are inspirational. I took from this book the importance of props and surfaces. Also the way to use hard and soft light was excellent.

Highly recommended, and an outstanding engagement with digitization and digital photography.
Kandise
I think what I really wanted to read was a full book about styling food for photography; this one was too broad and trying to be everything to everyone. For example, it goes into remarkable detail about off-camera lighting set-ups, but also has a section devoted to "how do you get your images from your camera to your computer." Establishing and maintaining a baseline assumption of competence on behalf of the reader would have been better. Also publishing note: this book is riddled with copy ...more
Libby
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although I've yet to put any of these tips into practice, I already feel much more knowledgable about food photography, and also DSLR photography in general.
As well as plenty of lovely photographs and tips on food photography, as would be expected, there are also the basics laid down very simply. I feel like this will be an excellent reference book as I learn more about my camera. She explains the techniques well enough for a newbie like me to comprehend, and with good examples--comparing the
Quynh Pham
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the author and her food styling, that's why I bought this book (so even if I didn't like the content, I would still be surrounded with beautiful photos).
This book features basic photography and food styling. The first half is a bit boring as I'm not unfamiliar with photography. But for newcomers I think it would be very helpful. I also like her tips on composition and natural light.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes food photography or simply food ;-)
Catherine
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Best for beginner food photographers. It walks you through the basics of lighting, equipment, and styling. Even for a pro, there were some tips and tricks I enjoyed, especially on the styling end. I noticed a theme of using multiple layers, such as two plates, a napkin and a bowl all stacked up together. It adds more depth to the arial shots. And I always love behind-the-scenes photos of how other photographers work.
Grace
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to learn food photography and I've found this book to be extremely detailed and easy to follow - it also helps that her reference point is to a Canon camera, which I happen to be using as well.

I like how she explains the different technical settings to a beginner by showing you shots with just the settings slightly adjusted. I also find it very helpful that all the settings that she used to take each picture are referenced below the picture
Maci Dierking
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography

FABULOUS! My only complaint is that the pictures looked so good it made me want to stop reading and go make the recipe! But of course there wasn't one. This was unbelievably helpful, Helene shows simple and inexpensive ways to make your food pictures awesome and delightful. You can really tell she loves what she does , which is essential when trying to teach others.
Julie
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
This gave me lots of new, usable food photography tips for my recipe blog. It was definitely worth reading. I feel so much improved and can pick out colors to compliment and not distract from my baked goods.
I did wish there was more on photographing food that isn't fine dining--like I still am not sure how to do lighting for my bold Hot Wing Pizza recipe.
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
An excellent resource for budding food photographers. Dujardin's laid back style takes the mystery out of photography and its lingo. Vivid imagery, easy-to-follow instructions, and insider tips make this a must read for aspiring food bloggers and others desiring a comprehensive introduction to the medium.
Daniela Dineva
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I started to shoot some of my cakes, cookies and desserts for my blog, I bought this book. The style, techniques and the language are so easy to understand, the autor is wonderful photographer and I love her blog and how she write and shoot. The book is priceless for every foodstyling photographer.
Erin
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-study, reference
I really enjoyed reading this book and I learned a lot about the aperture and ISO settings on my camera. I will continue to use it as a reference book to improve my photography skills. I would also highly recommend her list of recommended resources in the back.

• Fundamentals of Clinical Trials
  • Making Hard Decisions: An Introduction to Decision Analysis
  • Okavango: Africa's Last Eden
  • Dicing with Death
  • Martin Marten
  • Your Baby in Pictures: The New Parents' Guide to Photographing Your Baby's First Year
  • Food Styling and Photography for Dummies
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Hand Lettering and Calligraphy: The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Letterers and Calligraphers
  • Grace: A Memoir
  • The Gift of Calligraphy: A Modern Approach to Hand Lettering with 25 Projects to Give and to Keep