Start by marking “The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)

The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  655 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Being a Hero isn’t easy—but it’s a lot easier than being a Dark Lord.
Dark forces just aren’t what they used to be in the good old days.

The Manticore’s Secret is the spellbinding sequel to The Simoqin Prophecies: Part One of the GameWorld Trilogy. Once again Samit Basu creates a mesmeric landscape bursting with weird and wonderful characters and a gripping narrative that’s
Published December 12th 2005 by Penguin India

To ask other readers questions about The Manticore's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manticore's Secret

Gangambika
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grimread
Sooo many characters. And yet almost all of them are lovable, which is a good thing when you have a book with many different settings at once. Because the feeling of just wanting to skip the chapters where your character of interest is absent, also isn't present. But all this can lead into much confusion if you don't pay enough attention, which can happen when listening an audio-book. No flipping back for the lost information, as you have no idea at what time it was.
I like how Basu manages to gi
Tathagata Kandar
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
OK. This was kind of a let-down after the first book. But I agree that it might be because my expectations were fairly raised after The Simoqin Prophecies. The first book had a fairly new style of writing, different from the contemporary fantasy works which was a novelty which had wore off for the second part.

In addition I felt the book was slower in pace and a little deficient in characters.

Having said that, the storyline and the sudden references to the well-known novels was still enjoyable.

In
Manikanta Avinash
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
This book is even better than the first part! If the first part is just a setting to introduce the main characters and start off the narration, this has lot more plot items and excellent dibs at typecasts in the fantasy genre and is equally fun and entertaining as the first one.
The plot with all the Gods discussing the Game World is pure magic. It has elements of philosophy, making fun, surprise everything. That part is a brilliant work by Samit Basu.
All those references to various religions,
Sandeep
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
I vaguely remember reading The Simoqin Prophecies, which was the first part of the series, and I vaguely remember that although I was quite impressed by the characterisation and general mise-en-scene, I did think there was something left hanging, something else needed, a certain je-ne-sais-quoi that made its presence felt through its absence -- if that makes any sense.

But this one fills the gaps. Though one starts off feeling that one should have read Simoqin, the book takes on a character of it
Supritha
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was a huge disappointment- both in terms of it's storyline & as a suggested 'must have' of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Not having read the Simoquin Prophecies, the plot of this second novel in the trilogy was easy to comprehend. Basu has used a simple mode of narration, which makes the reader feel at ease. His descriptions of the various characters in the story are to be lauded as well, since they act as fodder even for the most unimaginative minds. The characters themselves are waaa ...more
Kimaya Mathew
Jan 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
If only, if only I could have given this book no stars then i think the justice would have had befallen on the planet earth...
I do not believe the daringness of the author when he took over all the mythology factors. From "'Harry Potter" "Chronicle of Narnia" "Lord of the Rings" "Ramayana" "Mahabharata" every Indian, swedish, scanadavian, egyptian, european, american, british, irish myth and folktale that has been taken in this sorry excuse in the name of the book is really disgusting. It is, as
Saurabh Modi
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awes ...more
Priya
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: give-up
Tried reading this book twice. But both times, I lost interest even before the half-way mark. And I'm really disappointed because I liked the first part in the series, 'The Simoqin Prophecies'. I bought Manticore and the next one, 'The Unwaba Revelations' assuming it will be like the first. Nope. Not even close.

The parts in the book about the actual story happening on 'Earth', with Kirin, Asvin and Maya were good. Interesting. But in between it shifts to this game that the 'Gods' are organizing
Chinmay
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book does good on linking the story from the previous part and moves forward with the story of each character. The fight sequences are really good and the situation of the world as it changes has been written wonderfully. I like the way Basu eloquently writes at length about how the world changes around the characters. Do not want to write more so as not to spoil the fun for people who haven't read it yet. Though I would recommend this as a must read.
Soundarya
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recent-reads
Was let down a bit. Had very high expectations after reading the first book. Maybe the third /final in the series will be to my liking. It is still a good read. Like the characters a whole lot more now.
Nitya Sivasubramanian
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4star
Samit Basu has delivered once again! I'm grateful I reread the first novel in the series before reading this one, because it reminded me of where all the characters were in their own personal arcs. But as a whole, for me, the story continued to work and the puns kept me amused.
Pratyush Raman
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
its better than the first book. but its all cookbook recipes. i really don't like the names - a concoctions of everything there
Devesh Yamparala
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
It continues where the first book left and does indeed manage to keep the interesting stuff going.
If you read the first book, you cannot stay long without reading this!
Vaibhav pandya
Book was a good read but not as good as 1st installment of the series , now moving on to next and last part of the series
Johny
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After a disappointing end to book one, Mr.Basu surprises you with his second book. Filled with humor and brilliant fantasy, this is one of the best fantasy books I've read.

Ankita
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I remember finishing it in a day and buying Unwaba the next week.
Parts of it were a drag but the book was still interesting....
Jennifer Taw
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second in a trilogy that shamelessly and happily rips off everything from Greek mythology to old English legends to Harry Potter. This book is as funny, well-paced, and exciting as the first.
Aleesha Vaz
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Basu keeps the curiosity alive.. with an intresting cliff hanger at the end.. can't wait to read the next book.
Pratik Gupte
  • Abol Tabol: The Nonsense World of Sukumar Ray
  • The Raga Guide: A Survey Of 74 Hindustani Ragas
  • Twenty-one Stories
  • (un)Fashion
  • The Wordkeepers (The Wordkeepers Trilogy, No. 1)
  • My Name is Will
  • Strange Son
  • Vermilion Sands
  • Family Planning
  • Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA
  • The Southpaw (Henry Wiggen #1)
  • Quest for Kim: In Search of Kipling's Great Game
  • The Wildings (The Wildings, #1)
  • Sabre-Tooth (Modesty Blaise #2)
Samit Basu is a writer of books, films and comics. His first novel, The Simoqin Prophecies, published by Penguin India in 2003, when Samit was 23, was the first book in the bestselling Gameworld Trilogy and marked the beginning of Indian English fantasy writing. The other books in the trilogy are The Manticore’s Secret and The Unwaba Revelations.

Samit’s other novels include a YA novel, Terror on t
More about Samit Basu...

GameWorld Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Simoqin Prophecies (GameWorld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Unwaba Revelations (GameWorld Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99