Start by marking “Homeschooling Methods: Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles” as Want to Read:
Homeschooling Methods: Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles

Homeschooling Methods: Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles

For new and veteran homeschool families alike, this extensive new release from the editors of The Old Schoolhouse TM Magazine serves as “a homeschool convention in a book.” It details today’s most viable education models, helping parents formulate an educational game plan and choose teaching methodologies. There are more than twenty contributors including Christine Field, ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by B&H Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Homeschooling Methods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeschooling Methods

Start your review of Homeschooling Methods: Seasoned Advice on Learning Styles
Emily
Good overview of several different approaches to homeschooling including a classical education, unit studies, Charlotte Mason, and unschooling. The sections on carschooling and unit studies were especially helpful and I liked some elements of the Charlotte Mason approach as well.

However, the book felt a bit like a "bait-and-switch." There is absolutely nothing on the front or back cover to indicate the heavy Christian focus. A homeschooling book geared toward Christians who want to incorporate t
Anjanette Barr
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
This book was exactly what I needed. I happened upon it while browsing the at the library and was sure that, given its generic title, it would be too broad or too boring to be of use. I was obviously wrong.

The book is broken up into examinations of ten popular Christian homeschooling methods. Each section includes essays from one or more of the prominent voices among the advocates for that method.

It was wonderful to have side by side comparisons of the philosophies behind each method, as well a
Adrienne
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat helpful but I've seen better overviews (Homeschooling for Dummies comes to mind).

Every chapter begins with a Bible verse and then the religious references just keep on comin'. When will people learn that if their book is going to be a heavily religious version of an otherwise non-religious topic (which, technically, homeschooling is), then they need to PUT IT ON THE COVER!!!

It's 2010, people--Christians aren't the only people homeschooling anymore...by a long shot. They don't own the
Leslie
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
Fabulous! I devoured this in about two days. It's very accessible and informative. As a former teacher trained in the classical method, this was both refreshing and reassuring. In addition, I was surprised at how much of the "delight-directed" style I appreciated and how others like Charlotte Mason's methods made me want to know more. This is a GREAT place to start if you're preparing to homeschool and developing your family's philosophy of education. Five stars. I want to own it!
Shawna
This is a much more "militantly" Christian overview of the different styles of homeschooling. I found some useful information, but overall I felt the writers to be a little extreme. All styles of education are presented from a Christian point of view, so this would not be useful for a non-religious homeschooler.
Noemi Martinez
May 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While some of the homeschooling methods listed were new to me as I am just beginning to read up on homeschooling, no where on the cover or back did it note that the different methods were applied from a Christian perspective. Granted, that wouldn't bother me so much-it was the anti-atheist chapter that made me put the book down.
K
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Well. This book has some racist bits, lots of super legalistic Christian bits, and some snobby language. It doesn't even provide a decent overview of the methods, more so the ideology behind them. Google has better information.
It's a no from me.
Amy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an enjoyable read and gave a good overview of the different types of homeschooling methods out there. It does have a religious slant and explains things from a Christian perspective. However, these methods are all worthy of examination whether you are religious or not.
Marcie
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009, education
Homeschooling Methods provided an interesting overview of some homeschooling models. I liked that each method was presented by someone who used the homeschooling method and who often published materials and was a public speaker for that method. I found the book useful in laying out the styles and I liked the discussion of why you might want to choose one homeschooling method over another. I liked the references to additional resources.

I did not like the Christian slant. Each chapter started with
Cara Sexton
Found this to be a helpful overview but even as a Christian, would have appreciated that the subject matter not spend so much time on how building a Christian worldview fits into the various methodologies. About 1/3 to 1/2 the book seemed to be dedicated specifically to specifically Christian worldview perspectives, often in ways that seemed forced into the topic at hand. Again, I am a Christian and appreciated this as an approach but could have done with less of it, specifically because the boo ...more
Lauri
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
This book has a Christian focus, and even for those not homeschooling for religious reasons, it provides an excellent overview of the most prevalent approaches to homeschooling. There is one chapter that is a bit judgmental of those not choosing that particular approach, but otherwise all the other chapters are excellent descriptions and examples that would help someone interested in learning about the various methods of homeschooling.

For those non-Christians, I feel that it is very easy to read
May
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was trying to home school my children and have found this book to be inspiring and helpful. Worried that I am not teaching enough for my children, I was encouraged and liberated after reading this. There isn't a homeschooling curriculum in this book but it offers a lot of principles for you to follow such as catering to your child's interests and building a love for books which will give you some ideas when you are planning what to do with your child at home. There are a lot of biblical refere ...more
ZombieLMG
This book has some good overviews of many homeschooling methods. All are presented with a very Christian viewpoint, which I can ignore. However I did deduct one star from my rating due to the anti-atheist chapter (The Principle Approach). They showed their complete ignorance of atheism by calling it "a religion of unbelief." Anyone who knows anything about atheism knows it is not a religion. The rest of the religious stuff I just skimmed over as there is some good advice in the book. The unit st ...more
Christina
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, homeschool
The authors have compiled a series of essays on various topics by experts, so you can read this book as if you are attending a day-long seminar on homeschooling. You can pick and choose what topics to read. I read all of the chapters and surprisingly found myself swayed by the great advice in a few areas in which I had not anticipated I would be interested (i.e., unit studies, non-textbook learning). I highly recommend this book if you are open to reading about different methods or just investig ...more
Amanda
I thought this book, while giving first-person accounts of homeschooling methods from individuals experienced/ authoritative in their respective fields, often confused methods with ideology. Of course the two intertwine and are often inseparable, but a few of these methods were strictly ideology- and, as a person just beginning to investigate homeschooling, I found it difficult to form a practical idea of what these would "look like." This book may well be geared toward those with more experienc ...more
Penelope
Covers the basics of most of the homeschooling methods out there (doesn't cover Thomas Jefferson, Waldorf, or Montessori) and helped me get an idea of what type of method applies to my family. It's got a strong focus on Christian teachings, which I appreciate. Sadly, some methods were covered better than others (a comparison of two-three pages for some methods, compared to 20+ for others).

If you want a one-stop explanation of homeschooling methods to give you an idea of where to begin (and don'
Ami
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
This book contains a very nice overview of the most popular methods of homeschooling. Each different method is given a general summary. Then, advocates of that particular methodology write essays explaining their personal experiences and philosophies.
This book has a decided Christian slant that I found jarring at first. This puzzled me, as I have deep religious convictions, myself. Upon reflection, it occured to me that I am supremely accustomed to the separation of church and state. Interestin
Jamie
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to different options for Christian homeschooling. Highly recommended for those who are interested in learning more about the various methods. I had a lot of ideas before reading this, but I feel like this book helped me to clarify which directions I'd most like to pursue as well as feel more confident in my own style of parenting and leadership as we learn at home. I really recommend this one!
Staci
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
I remember checking this out to understand more about learning styles. That's not what this is really about. It's synopses of a variety of methods of homeschooling. Although it's not what I expected, I enjoyed it nonetheless. There are the summaries explaining about the type of homeschooling and then writings from people who have implemented that type of teaching.
Naureen Minhas
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parenting wanting to learn about homeschooling
This book is excellent in giving you a sufficiently detailed yet not too complicated summary of the various homeschooling methods out there.

I wanted to know about the different styles and which style would be best to use with my almost 3 year old son next year. I liked the moore method and the unit studies style of homeschooling.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
Awesome. Easy to read. A MUST for any parent even considering homeschooling. It will bring you up to date with the main homeschooling methods. Each section is an intro/breakdown to each method with a few chapters contributed by veterans in that method/school of thought. I need to purchase a copy and re-read it with my highlighters ready.
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intro to learning styles
Justin Caldwell
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good info about home schooling and the state of public schools. Written from a Christian perspective.
Gabby
May 10, 2018
Amy
Dec 12, 2011
Olia
rated it did not like it
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Two Times the Fun
  • The Poet's Dog
  • The Everything Homeschooling Book: All you need to create the best curriculum  and learning environment for your child
  • Wanderers
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • The Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons
  • Unapologetic Homeschoolers: University Graduates by Nineteen
  • A Literary Education: Adapting Charlotte Mason for Modern Secular Homeschooling
  • Jump-Starting Boys: Help Your Reluctant Learner Find Success in School and Life
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America
  • Signs and Symbols
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Give Your Child the World: Raising Globally Minded Kids One Book at a Time
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • The Book of Speculation