Start by marking “The Eyes of the Dead” as Want to Read:

(Vetala Cycle #1)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Vampires are loose in the trenches of the First World War.

Passchendaele, 1917. Private Reg Wilson is a man with a name but no memories. A soldier who remembers nothing of life before the fighting began. Until he comes to Black Wood, a tainted place that knows him intimately. There, he will discover a darkness buried long ago by time and dust. An appetite that has been awok
Kindle Edition, 1st, 166 pages
Published May 23rd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Eyes of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eyes of the Dead

Charlie
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indie

For me, this book comes down to personal taste. For those who like J.A. Konrath and Jack Kilborn stories, you'll probably enjoy The Eyes of the Dead. It has a slasher horror feel with scene after scene of gruesome and descriptive details. The adjectives and metaphors keep on coming and had me floating somewhere between is this a dream, a hallucination or partial reality? I kept reading hoping by the end it would pull together (all the disjointed pieces) and I'd have my 'ah-ha' moment. T
Dreadlocksmile
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First published in May of 2011, Gregory Yeates’ (aka Gregory James) debut novel ‘The Eyes Of The Dead’ was a self-published venture for the British born author. The tale forms the first part in the series collectively dubbed ‘The Vetala Cycle’.

DLS Synopsis:
Private Reginald Wilson can’t remember anything of his past. Vague memories haunt his sleeping hours like a night-time ritual. Memories of a fire, consuming everything and everyone around him in its unrelenting hunger to devour.

Now, a solider
Adrian Chamberlin
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very impressive debut - atmospheric and chilling with a unique presentation of a supernatural threat.

I'm a big fan of historical/military horror fiction, so this was right up my street.

As always, though, it's the real life horror of war and man's inhumanity that stays with you. There's one line in this novel I'm never going to forget, and it doesn't take place on the battlefield.

It's in the base hospital. A soldier has had his genitals shot to jelly, and after the unsympathetic head nurse roug
Andy Angel
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book that combines the horror of vampires with the horrors of war - and does it well.
Three soldiers (one seriously wounded) rest up for the night in a damaged church near Passchendales, Belgium and one uncovers nastiness in the crypt....
This book, set in WW1 Belgium conveys the feel of its time very well. I wasn't sure about it because I'm not a fan of 'war books' but I'm glad I did. You can almost feel the mud and grime of the trenches and hear the bombs whistling overhead.
Later the scene mov
Vicki
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed taking a break from my current genre and having some thought processing material to follow. I am not normally a military/historical person but I felt intrigued to look up some things that I might not have previously ventured into prior to reading this novel. Thank you for opening me up to some material that I might not have picked up off the shelf on my own! Great Job Greg! Can't wait to read your next adventure!
L.E.Olteano
*shudders* This little darling freaked me out *shudders again*
Now, see, there’s all kinds of horror; there’s the “boo-hoo” and the “boo-hoo-hoo” kind, the mildly amusing darkish delicious kind, the not-so-dark-but-a-bit-spooky kind, the I-wanna-be-a-horror-when-I-grow-up kind, and so on and o forth – all kinds. This right here, this is the freak-you-out-of-your-mind/gross-you-out kind. I’m telling you I had a few moments of nausea while reading, it’s that hardcore terrifying. Well maybe I wouldn
David King
"The Eyes of the Dead" by Gregory Yeates is a rather visceral horror tale that mixes some graphic imagery with a rather surreal plotline. It is set during World War I and initially follows three soldiers who have to leave the trenches and advance in an attempt to take some territory. When one of them is injured they take refuge in a crypt where they discover something more horrifying and evil than the war itself. One of the soldiers manages to escape the crypt, however that was just the beginnin ...more
Cathy Speight
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was quite a departure for me. If I'm honest I'm not quite sure why I've always overlooked the horror/vampire genre – it's not as if I read a horror story and decided I didn't like it; for some reason, I've just never tried it.

G R Yeates has taken my horror fiction virginity; and yes, it was good for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is evident that the author is a very gifted writer; he has an outstanding command of the English language – his narrative is vivid, no detail is left to the imagin
Paul Montgomery
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
There's some very strong positive points to this book, particularly so for a debut author.
Yeates has an obvious passion for WWI, and it shows. He also as a dark and furtive imagination, coming up with several graphic and disturbing scenes throughout the book. Giving a new and original take on vampires (and thankfully, there's no "sparkling in the daylight" here) is a difficult task these days, but again, Yeates has managed it.
However, where there is positive, there is also some negative. But bea
April
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was hooked at the beginning of this book, but as time went on (and the ever mounting dream/hallucination sequences filling page after page)it became more and more of a chore to read. I started to feel like I was caught in a Monty Python skit and any moment Graham Chapman was going to pop up a scream, "GET ON WITH IT!!"
Unless you are the type of person that enjoys listening to some person you barely know (and care about even less) ramble on and on about stupid "scary" dreams they had the night
Ashley
Apr 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was an excellently written novel and it is obvious that Yeates has a talent for writing, but unfortunately the circling of the events and the fact that it seemed to transfer between dream and reality pretty much nonstop made this novel too redundant and ultimately confusing for me to enjoy. I appreciate that the author actually vilified a vampire seeing as how lately almost all novels in the vampire genre are about young women falling in love with brooding, self loathing vamps, but the lack ...more
nora m malotte
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Eyes of the Dead

This graphic SUPERNATURAL ,THRILLER is jam packed with HORROR. We all know that wars in general are horror at its peak, but this story takes you beyond what you have previously imagined. Reg Wilson is the lone survivor of him unit..but is he? Is he even a survivor? Take the trip with Reg as he attempts to flee the nightmare of ALL the dead trying to drag him to the horror hell they exisist in. Prepare for the horrors you never knew existed. I RECOMMEND.
Kate Jonez
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. When a writer can pound a stake through a reader's heart like this one does, it's just a matter of time until everyone knows his name. Nuanced and emotionally gripping. The horrors of war mingle with the horrors of the supernatural in an unrelenting story.
Coral
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Listen/read my review here - http://alchemyofscrawl.wordpress.com/...
Rob Twinem
Aug 09, 2011
Mandy White
Apr 20, 2012
Amanda Troiano
rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2017
Tim
Aug 27, 2012
Camille Towe
May 30, 2013
G.R. Yeates was born in Rochford, Essex and studied Literature & Media at the Colchester Insitute.

He has lived in China where he taught English as a foreign language.

A life-long interest in the First World War and world mythology inspired his series of vampire novels, The Vetala Cycle.

Vetala Cycle (3 books)
  • Shapes in the Mist
  • Hell's Teeth

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage