Start by marking “You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You” as Want to Read:
You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You

You Are What You Wear: What Your Clothes Reveal About You

Most every woman has found herself with a closet full of too many clothes or surrounded by brand-new items that somehow never get worn. Instead she gets stuck wearing the same few familiar pieces from a wardrobe that just doesn't feel "right." Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner argues that all those things are actually manifestations of deeper life issues.What if you could understan ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about You Are What You Wear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are What You Wear

Matthew
May 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh. I thought this would be a study of what clothes choices reveal about us. VERY disappointed to find it was a self-help book for women (almost exclusively) who want to 'shake up' their look. Skimmed it, put it on the return pile.
Mardel Fehrenbach
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I suppose I expected something with a little more depth and analysis. Most of the book is rather obvious, shallow, and geared more toward what your shopping habits reveal about you.
Robbin
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite the straightforward fashion manual! As a psychology major, it was very interesting to see how this savvy doctor connected the typical woman's fashion woes with up-to-date psychology journals. She makes her case studies sound interesting (or maybe it's just because it's got to do with clothes). It's like having Stacey and Clinton around with you in a book, and Jeannie Mai came along for the ride.

This book not only helps you discover yourself through your clothes, but it also helps with the
Deb
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a pop psychology book I picked up on a whim. Dr. Baumgartner apparently makes her living analyzing your inner issues by making over your closet. I didn't read anything I haven't heard on TV make-over shows.
J
Feb 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fashion
This book is attractive and conceptually interesting ... a cute clinical psychologist who formerly worked at Ralph Lauren talks about common wardrobe problems that actually reveal psychological problems, and how to work on said problems. It is part fashion, part self-help.

Unfortunately, this book feel totally flat for me. The author is also a columnist for Psychology Today and this had that feel to it - kind of like bad armchair psychology that is borderline irresponsible. I just couldn’t connec
Taunya Campbell
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great advice and relevant. Interesting!
Claudia
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad. It didn't teach me any specific style points I didn't already know (how to dress my age, why it's better to spend on quality, a few good pieces are better than tons of crap) but it did give me a different way to look what I owned, and why I own/wear it.

I did have a couple of specific problems, though. I tend to dress in a pretty conservative/preppy style, and that look really doesn't change much, over time. A polo shirt today is pretty much the same as a polo shirt from twenty (or heck,
Vivian
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This is probably a great book for those in need of a wardrobe makeover; I might have appreciated it more a few years ago, when I was reevaluating my fashion style, and needed some help. Some of the tips are pretty self-evident: dress for who you are now, not who you were or are hoping to be; think about the message you're sending with your clothing choices; make sure your wardrobe covers the major categories of your life (work, play, evenings out, formal, athletic activities, etc.), and think ab ...more
Bethany
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Don’t read this book unless you are prepared to deal with the literal skeletons in your closet. It follows a similar premise to the Konmari spark joy method. Focus on the underlying emotions of your accumulated crap. This book is much more American focused and doesn’t seem as nutty as Konmari, though. Excellent specific examples. I could relate to each chapter/issue. And I agree with most of her advice.

Grammar moment- Dr B and her editor need to learn the difference between except and accept. T
Juliann Whicker
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion
This book was engrossing for me. I usually like books with pictures, but this was more about the person who wears the clothes than the garments themselves. Fads change, but who you are, and why/what you wear are things you have control over.

I really enjoyed being introduced to different ways to think about why we care what we wear, because sometimes, I honestly don't. This book is about presentation, about rhetoric, about what we're communicating and how we can become empowered by directing the
Ali
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was not even worth finishing. Baumgartner talks down to her reader making it impossible to enjoy. Additionally, the book was marketed as a light read but turned out to be a heavy examination of life and its effect on our clothing choices. I might have worked my way through if the tone of the book had been more friendly. As it stands, however, I didn't even make it through the first chapter. I will not be coming back to this one.
May
Nov 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
Dreadful. More of a self help book for your closet than what I wanted, which was 'snoop' but for clothes. Unlike the title suggests, you will learn nothing about people from their clothes by reading this book.
Marjorie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This really made me think, and now I need to clean out my closet. What are my clothes saying about me?
Jill Urie
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I've seen this book floating around on overdrive for a while and have been intrigued by the title and premise. And so I checked it out on a whim. And I enjoyed it a surprising amount. I don't think it would appeal to everyone. But for where I am in my life it was a very eye opening book.

I have 3 young kids and I'm in the middle of a difficult twin pregnancy. I've been out of commission a lot and my appearance was the first thing to slide once the morning sickness hit. Sweats and baggy t-shirts
Alanna Jane
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars.
Interesting concept - the idea of discovering how people feel about themselves by how they dress, and what is lurking inside overflowing closets. I liked the use of case-studies to introduce each concept, as well as the interweaving of psychology and wardrobe choices. Many topics made me introspective of how I present myself to the world.

What I couldn’t abide - and why I knocked 3 stars off - is because of the continuing “need” to always buy more and the blatant disregard of both the e
Sandy H
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A different take on identifying style

Another book on style that I really enjoyed. The author is a psychologist who helps women identify their wardrobe issues as symbolic of other issues they may need to address in their lives, such as a woman whose wardrobe screams with expensive designer logos as a way to prove her worth as a person (to herself, more than to anyone else). I skimmed several of the chapters that addressed issues I don't have (not big on expensive designer logos myself), but found
Mardee
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fairly shallow treatment of what could (should) be a pretty weighty topic. In only a few pages, she takes on some of our deepest emotional issues - compulsive shopping, identity, self-esteem, body image - and gives them all a very light treatment.

It was interesting but I guess I was hoping for a bit more depth rather than the "you can be pretty too!" sort of recommendation that she gives. Also, there is virtually nothing for men and nothing at all for people who are trans or gender-que
K. Mosher
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh
Ever wonder who it is out there telling women to "dress ___ because you are X years old"?
Well, it's this author doing that. Yup. Her.
While I enjoyed the psychoanalysis... I'm not sure I agree with it. I still remember the joy of a woman in her 50s who'd just beaten cancer. She'd lost a ton of weight. For the first time in her life she was able to wear those 'cute' clothes (and you know what I mean.) Lady loved her new look. Who are we to tell anyone that they're now too old for pastels or a sho
Clinta
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was jolted by the title of the book and decided to read .
I must say the first 30 pages have alluring contents
But overall the book is very outdated since fashion has no dimension.It changes as times goes.
I was able to abstract some basic fashion ideas and common psychological disorders people could have related to shopping but apart from that it doesn't help me to improve my fashion outlook.
Heather
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fashion, nonfiction
I was looking forward to this, incorrectly assuming it would be a look into the psychology behind why people dress they way they do. Instead, it's a book on figuring out what's wrong with you. If chapter one doesn't sound like your problem, don't worry! One of these eight other chapters surely will. Gross.
Talie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
quick read - suggestions for closet purging
Lauren (:
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2019-reads
This book dragged on as it was many cases of people changing their wardrobe but no actual tips to help the readers. It was interesting to think about and hear the stories but overall not a huge fan.
Rose Anderson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting clothing analysis of various types of wardrobe difficulties and how to fix them by a psychologist.
Kimberly Harries
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Reading this has already changed how I look at the items 8 choose to wear snd what to change to feel better. Highly recommend.
Fullfaun
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion-sewing
Great book, gets to the idea underneath hoarding, excessive shopping, Etc
Liesl Gibson
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
This whole book felt trite and obvious, but I can see where it might help some people. I found a few good analogies and suggestions here and there, but otherwise not very worthwhile to me, at least.
Amber Ray
Mar 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Meh. Not any new information about managing your wardrobe for me. The title made me think this book would have more tricks and tips about managing what messages to send with clothes..."Do X for this look" maybe. I already "throw over" my wardrobe every couple of years...try everything on, consider getting rid of stuff I haven't worn, ect.
Elsa
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There was nothing I would pick out of this book as new information, but it did make me think about my closet in a different way. I think the author was aiming toward your closet can reveal things about your life. But in my case, I found that perhaps the opposite was more applicable. If I look at my life, I can see why there is something "off" about what is in my closet.

The information was no different than any other wardrobe analysis: look at your life and what you need, and adjust your wardrob
Terri Durling
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yawn - I love books on style and fashion but this one I could have easily passed by. Most of these types of books tend to be repetitive giving the same advice over and over again but I still enjoy poring through them hoping for inspiration and tips on this favorite subject of mine. Granted this book does attack it from the psychological point of view since the author is indeed a psychologist but most of it is just common sense. She divides the book into several categories as in those of us who a ...more
Leanne Hunt
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and can think of many people who would be inspired and challenged by it. Dr Jennifer Baumgartner has combined her expertise in psychological counselling and therapy with her interest in fashion and wardrobe planning to create for herself a career as a specialist in helping women resolve long-standing issues in their lives. These issues range from insecurity about the future to an inability to think and choose for themselves. It turns out, even when we believe we are co ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
r/FemaleFashionAd...: Notes As You Go: You Are What You Wear 1 20 Oct 01, 2017 04:06PM

• InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • My Little Paris: The Best Kept Parisian Secrets
  • Nina Garcia's Look Book: What to Wear for Every Occasion
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • Style Bible: What to Wear to Work
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Glass of Fashion: A Personal History of Fifty Years of Changing Tastes and the People Who Have Inspired Them
  • I Want to Be Her!: How Friends and Strangers Helped Shape My Style
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • Fat, Broke  Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • How to Look Expensive: A Beauty Editor's Secrets to Getting Gorgeous without Breaking the Bank
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • Lazy Perfection: The Art of Looking Great Without Really Trying
  • Change Your Clothes, Change Your Life: Because You Can't Go Naked
  • The Truth About Style
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • The Cheap Chica's Guide to Style: Secrets to Shopping Cheap and Looking Chic
“We’re clothing accumulators with anxiety, compulsive shoppers struggling with addiction, or frumpy dressers who suffer from depression. Our” 0 likes