Start by marking “Ballyconnell Colours” as Want to Read:
Ballyconnell Colours

Ballyconnell Colours

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  3 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Although best known as a writer of fiction, Healy's first collection of poetry is an auspicious debut. The poems move in a variety of registers, from the background and imaginative landscape of Co. Cavan to the West of Ireland coast. This large, generous book is marked by an acceptance of the daily world and by compassion.
Paperback
Published October 1st 1997 by Gallery Press (IRL) (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Ballyconnell Colours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ballyconnell Colours

Abailart
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Stark poems, cold form, fierce emotional heat.

The colours of life are often drained, washed-out, running into each other like waters - or storms or skies. Location is impermanent, unmoored (a favourite trope), identity tumbling; perhaps what coalesence there is rests, moves rather, in the acceptance of the flux, the world that will not be held down. This is hard:

Sometimes I am bewildered
By all this foolish energy
Battering away
Miles from people.

I envy those
Who live upriver
At the quiet source.
Her
Danny Daley
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Healy has become a paradigm shift for me. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that I've read hundreds and novels and poetry collections and somehow, when I read Healy, I still feel like his work exists in a space that isn't real. It's true; more true than any space ever, but it isn't real. There are many poems in here that I was awestruck by - if I had to pick a few to highlight, I'd go with "On Looking Up at the Night Sky above Lough Conn," "Neighbor's Lights," and "The Balleyconnell Colours. ...more
Anna
Kerrie
Aug 18, 2016
Naoise
Jul 24, 2017
Dermot Healy (born 1947 in Finnea, County Westmeath, Ireland) was an Irish novelist, playwright, and poet. He won the Hennessy Award (1974 and 1976), the Tom Gallon Award (1983), and the Encore Award (1995). In 2011, he was shortlisted for the Poetry Now Award for his poetry collection, A Fool's Errand.

Healy was a member of Aosdána and of its governing body, the Toscaireacht, and lived in County S