Start by marking “Midnight Sin” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
MIDNIGHT SIN
When a rookie cop walks on to the midnight shift, the lines between right and wrong become blurred. Every step he takes and every decision he makes has unforeseen consequences. His life will never be the same.

Becoming a cop changes everything you thought you knew about life. Midnight Sin is an inside look at the dark and mysterious world behind the cop's badg
Published April 26th 2011 by Totalrecall Publications (first published March 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Sin, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jamie F
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book and loved it. It started out with some exciting and tense action and from those events the story unfolded in ways I would have never guessed. As a big CSI fan, this is one of the best police stories I have read. You really felt you were working with the main character (a rookie cop) and could feel what he was going through. One of the best scenes was an Internal Affairs investigation - it was intense. I am looking forward to the sequel, and will not be surprised to see ...more
Darcia Helle
Midnight Sin is an interesting look into the life of a rookie cop. This book started out a little slow for me, often reading more like a cop's journal than a crime novel. Halfway through, the pace picked up and the story took off from there.

A cop writing a book about cops always intrigues me. In Michael Tabman's first novel, he gives us an inside view of how they handle crime and one another. He holds nothing back, dealing with ambition, crooked cops and Internal Affairs while struggling to cat
Fran
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Author: Michael Tabman

Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Rookie cops have a lot to learn often at the hand of those more experienced. Instinct, gut feelings, trust and watching the back of their fellow officers is paramount to surviving on the job and making sure your back is watched and protected too. Officer Gary Hollings wants to move up in the ranks of the KC Police Department. Working with many seasoned officers, listening, observing and following their directions would work to helping him t
Dellani Oakes
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
"Midnight Sin" by Michael Tabman is a realistic look at the world of police work. Told from the perspective of young officer, Gary Hollings, "Midnight Sin" reveals the investigation of a major crime spree—a serial rapist.

When we first meet Gary, he's a rookie working with his training officer, Thompson. To Gary's eyes, Thompson appears to be a self-possessed, experienced officer. Hollings begins to see his flaws, realizing that Thompson is also an arrogant jerk who enjoys belittling other offers
Shana
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I'm an incorrigible police procedural/mystery/crime drama book fiend, so I may be a bit biased as to the subject matter. However, the second I picked up Midnight Sin, I was hooked.
The story is told from the point of view of Gary Hollings, a rookie cop in the Westland Park Police Department, a suburban precinct bordering on Kansas City. For a suburban patrol cop, Hollings sees a great deal of action: rapes, officers down, and a hell of a lot of corruption inside the department.
With
Chris Jamison
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller, crime
Stepping up to the plate for the first time with Midnight Sin, Michael Tabman hit it out of the ball park. The story is packed with adventure and mystery. Excellent character development. You will breeze through this book.

I just read a good review of his other book. Think I'll try it.
The Pen & Muse
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Midnight Sin is an action packed, heart pounding and thrilling read! Be prepared for this one because you’ll want to read it all day without stopping. I know I couldn’t! The story surrounds rookie cop Gary Hollings quickly learns that wrestling street thugs and arresting drug dealers while trying to track down a serial rapist is nowhere near as tough as watching his back from his fellow cops. He must also fight his inner demons – ones he never knew he had until he put on that police uniform. Tab ...more
Dorothy
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. It had everything, drama, action and above all it explored the human condition and from a male perspective. It asks the moral question again and again, does the end really justify the means? What I like most about this book is that it was a good cop/crime novel (liberally laced with sex!) but it also made you question your own moral compass. So not only was it a fun read it had mental nourishment as well. I'm looking forward to author Tabman's next novel!

Since it
Pamela Kaye
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Michael,

As I promised you last week at your book signing, I finished Midnight Sin and signed on to Goodread to write a review. Congratulations on writing such a terrific book. It was a fascinating story with a great plot, interesting characters, suspense and plenty of tension. I honestly could not put it down. I am trying to figure out which character was based on you. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I will read your other book and look forward to your next novel. Is there a Midnigh
Annette Bagley-martin
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Midnight Sin ~ by Michael Tabman

Gary Hollings, rookie cop at the Westland Park Police Department, learns early on that his biggest lessons were learned after leaving the police academy.

Michael Tabman will keep you guessing at every turn who the bad guy could be. What you’re not prepared to find is that there is a little bit of bad guy and hero in us all, which one do you let the world see…..which one do you let out only at night?

Midnight Sin is a definite must read, with a tale that stays with
Joe Glenn
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
That went fast. I read this book in a couple of days. From the first page, he's got you hooked. There's alot of action and every time something happens, you start wondering what's going to happen next. Its obvious that the author was a cop. He's got the language and how they do things down pat. Its very realistic while being alot of fun to read. The story had some good surprises and you felt close to the main characters. Read it!!
Michael Tabman
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was inspired by true crime - a case I worked as a plain clothes cop. Take a look at the dark and mysterious world behind the cop's badge.

Law and Order Producer Peter Giuliano said, "Michael has reached deep inside and managed to capture his heart and soul as a cop. My heart was pounding. This is a powerful story told by someone who has captured the feelings of all of us, no matter which side of the law you happen to be on."

Kathy Roberts
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book tremendously. The journey through a smaller police force through a rookies eyes was so interesting. A fast paced read that kept me guessing til the end of the book ...and beyond. I am waiting for a sequel and hoping there is one.
Dee
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reallly enjoyed reading this book.
It had excellent character development and extremely well written dialogue.
The story was exciting and suspenseful -- really held my interest from page one.
It was more than just a "cop story".
I highly recommend it.
Paul Bollinger
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, crime
Excellent book. Great story and character development. The author is more than just telling a fictional story. If you read between the lines, you will enjoy this book even more. This author has a unique style. I highly recommend this.
Eric_W
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very interesting police procedural with some minor flaws that, for me, did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. It follows the experiences of Hollins, a rookie cop, in a mythical suburb of Kansas City. Hollings' first test involves a gas station holdup where Burkitt, a rather self-absorbed cop who wants nothing more than to be a detective, arrives first on the scene, followed by Hollings and Thompson, his training officer. What happens next is the subject of an IAD investigation but Holl ...more
Jmrathbone
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
In the first part of this novel there were a lot of scenes involving some sexual content. That put me off a bit, but as the story line developed I found out why others said they couldn’t put it down. This is a top notch police story.
A.B. Shepherd
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read my review of Midnight Sin and all my reviews here: http://abshepherdsreinventedreader.bl...
Cathy
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so poorly written. No plot per say, no drama or suspense. I only finished it because I feel committed to finishing something I start. This was punishment.
Alan Zendell
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you have family members or friends who are cops, you should read this book. If you depend on cops to protect your family you should read this book. If you have great respect and admiration for cops you should read this book. If you don't particularly like cops you should read this book.

There are many criteria for reviewing a book. For me, the most important one is whether it communicates something of value to the reader. Most of us can't really fathom what a cop's life is like. He or she is j
Megan
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, kindle
My rating is more of a 1.5

I was so excited to read this book; it sounded very interesting and I've not read a book dealing with this subject matter. But as I got deeper into the story I found myself waiting for something to happen, for the plot to develop, and it never really did. There were a few, what felt like, sub-plots throughout but none of them were really developed enough. However it did seem to be quite a realistic portrayal of police life.

The writing wasn't really anything special, see
Hank Wallerman
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible story about a rookie police officer facing professional and personal challenges. What I really like about this book is how it got deep into the mind not only of the main character, but of the other police officers and the criminals. As you read the book, you learn alot about police procedures and watch the rookie develop into a more mature police officer and person. This book a must read and I can see it as a movie.
Mike Younkers
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
There were parts of this book that I really enjoyed. I liked the direct insight into life on patrol. My Dad was a police officer for 23 years and I always wanted this kind of insight. Unfortunately, I found this to be a bit predictable and entire sections were drawn out too much up front and wrapped up to quickly in the end. In general, I liked it but couldn't give it more than 3 stars.
Julie
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
There were lots of things I liked about this book. I think it gave a glimpse into a cop's life and the kinds of problems he faces. However, I would have liked to see more resolution in the ending. It was just left hanging! I know all cases aren't solved, but I like my books to end with "who done it"!
Kari Mccrory
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I think this book is a bit too real for me. I did not like the attitudes of the police officers nor their vocabulary. The writing was okay, but not great. Tabman clearly knows his topic, but I felt the story itself was a bit weak.
Rob
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It is a realistic, no holds barred look at a young patrolman's first couple years in a crazy squad. To some, that may sound like it goes over mundane police work but that is not the case at all. The book is easy to read and hard to put down. It has a great protagonist in Gary Hollings.
Patty
Apr 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Midnight Sin Trailer 4 11 Jun 21, 2011 07:32PM
  • Hit List
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
  • Beautiful, Naked & Dead
  • Spiral X (The Eternal War, #1)
  • The Cold Spot (Cold, #1)
  • Body of Evidence (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #4)
  • Icons of a Dreaming Heart
  • From Vegas with Blood
  • Bridge of the Single Hair
  • South Phoenix Rules
  • Beautiful Lie the Dead (Inspector Green Mystery, #8)
  • Creatus Eidolon (Creatus, #3)
  • Seeking Kokopelli
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • Memoirs of a Violent Sleeper
  • Whack A Mole (John Ceepak Mystery, #3)
Michael rose through the ranks of the FBI reaching the level of Special Agent in Charge, commanding 250 FBI Agents throughout three states. His most notable case, the Red Lake High School Massacre investigation, thrust him into the global eye and drew praise for his live news broadcast. Prior to joining the FBI, Michael was a police officer in Fairfax County, Virginia working on patrol and in plai ...more
More about Michael Tabman

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning