Start by marking “The Story Of A Year: 1848” as Want to Read:
The Story Of A Year: 1848

The Story Of A Year: 1848

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  4 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Story Of A Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Of A Year

Karyl
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Until I read this book, I had no idea that 1848 was such a momentous year. It was the year in which many of the monarchies in Europe (many of which the modern reader will not recognize) were toppled in the name of Liberty, yet by the end of the year, most of those toppled were restored, though on very shaky terms. It was also the year that gold was found in California, causing a mass exodus of greedy and unscrupulous men towards that new territory. I found it very interesting, however, to learn ...more
Kate
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
This feels like two different books at once. Part of it is the kind of on-the-ground history that appeals to me: the everydayness of clothing and food, furniture and political cartoons. If the entire book had continued in this manner, I would have totally swooned for it.

However, a large portion of the book seems to be oriented toward readers who most appreciate maps and battlefields, movements and politics. If you are that kind of reader, you may half-swoon for this book.

And if you are a fullbl