Start by marking “Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I” as Want to Read:
Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I

Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  296 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
No-limit hold em was once only a tournament game. Cash games were rarely spread in conventional poker rooms, let alone the Internet. All of that changed when the game exploded on television. No-limit cash games started sprouting up at casinos of all types. No-limit hold em is now the most popular form of poker. Tournaments pushed it to the forefront, and a great deal of mo ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Two Plus Two Pub.

To ask other readers questions about Professional No-Limit Hold 'em, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professional No-Limit Hold 'em

Jim Butler
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poker
I see that my stat tracking software says I've played 30,000 hands online in the last two years. I have over 50 poker books on my bookshelves. I'm placing this book on my top shelf with the other classics from Sklansky, Harrington, et al to reread over and over as I get better. There is no other book that concentrates so heavily on why a bet should be sized as it is strategically rather than just tactically. Other authors have admonished to plan your hand and control the size of the pot, but thi ...more
Whitney
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, poker
This book gives you a real good framework with which to think about no-limit hold 'em. The scary thing about no-limit to inexperienced players is the all-in threat. Most people don't like the idea of playing a single hand of poker for their entire stack. This fear comes from not planning your hand. The theories in this book about stack-to-pot ratios and the REM process take some practice, but once mastered, they make no-limit decisions much easier. You will even find yourself welcoming all-in si ...more
John
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Really a 3.5. A solid book that delivers a single interesting, strategic, takeaway: triskaidekaphobia. But left me with nothing else, looking back.
David Ingvarsson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting concepts discussed but i really doubt the strategies advocated would work well in todays games. A lot have changed since the book was written.
Eddy
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poker-gambling
I found the theory excellent and would suggest a 5 Star rating. I struggled with the way the theory was put together though. It didn't flow for me quite as smoothly as the Harrington Tourny books. I read the first half of the book twice. The second half I need to re-read again, as I have only read it once. It will take some time to implement the theory learnt here into my game. I'm not good enough yet to start implementing the theory as second nature in my game, after one or even two readings.

Aaron
Nov 08, 2007 rated it liked it
One of the best books I've seen on cash-game (as opposed to tournament) poker. This book goes into concepts above and beyond most traditional poker books, and delves very deeply into a lot of the mathematical decisions--not odds and outs, but stack sizes, and levels of commitment... essentially making smart decisions earlier to make the later decisions easier. A great poker book, and one of the top 5 I've ever read (and I've read quite a few).
Joe
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nlhe players
Seems to be very centered around a single idea, the ratio of your stack to the pot. Miller et al argue that when the ratio reaches a predetermined point, you commit to the hand and go all in. This sounds theoretically sound but requires that your opponent cooperate.

EDIT: I finished my first reading. I stand by my opion that Miller assumes that your opponents will call with less when you get your shorter stack in with top pair.
CV Rick
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poker
I guess it's time to close this book out of my currently reading list, even though I'm still reading it. This is my 3rd time through and this time I'm taking detailed notes. It's changed the way I approach cash games for the better. In fact, I think it's more valuable than the Harrington series on cash games because of its advanced concepts. I'll be getting volume two today, but I'm not sure that I'm ready for it.
David Long
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first comprehensive introduction to strategy and tactics for "the Cadillac of Poker." Systematic, thorough and well-organized. Requires more than a rudimentary acquaintance with the game to grasp the more advanced approach offered here. A real winner. Important adddition to the library of any truly serious no limit hold 'em player.
Abram Himelstein
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read the book, went to the casino, and lost $200. But it took me three hours. Without the book I'd have lost it in two and a half.
This book is betting strategy- not card-playing- you're supposed to know that already.
Seytin
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The concepts in the book WILL make you money if you apply them. The sections about Stack-to-Pot ratios and Commitment thresholds are so good that I can't believe I ever played no limit with out reading them. Brilliant.
Mason
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for the player experienced with poker not looking to understand bet sizing and the strategy of playing a no-limit hand from beginning to end. Really a beginner's book on no-limit play, but really puts a structure on what is a wide-open topic.
Keanu
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
2nd best book I've read on cash games.
Erik Ellison
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I probably need to read this book a few more times...
Tim
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poker, reviewed
Reviewed for Card Player. Excellent, abstruse, useful (but probably/certainly antiquated in terms of strategic advice).
Frankx99
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of the best NL-Hold-em books out there
Erik Smith
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combination request 5 18 Mar 10, 2016 05:25AM
  • No Limit Hold 'em: Theory and Practice
  • Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume II: The Endgame
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
  • Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em
  • Winning Low Limit Hold'em
  • Sit 'N Go Strategy
  • Elements of Poker
  • Every Hand Revealed
  • Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells
  • Zen and the Art of Poker: Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game