Start by marking “Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day” as Want to Read:
Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day

Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  412 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Whether it’s sewing clothes, making cheese, or growing a garden, the modern appeal of “do-it-yourself” projects has a broader reach than ever. And who better to teach us how to DIY our lives than the über-crafty editors of BUST, the quirky, raw, and real magazine “for women who have something to get off their chests”? In The BUST DIY Guide to Life, magazine founders Debbie ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Bust DIY Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bust DIY Guide to Life

Dana
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, netgalley, diy
Great handy book that I had the pleasure of obtaining for free through Netgalley. I love DIY books even though I am terrible at DIY, however my frugal sensibilities make me gravitate towards books like this. There is a huge variety in this book, which I appreciate and overall I really enjoyed this book. My only qualm is that this does not work ideally in a ebook format.(for example one DIY told you to scan a template from the book)
Susan
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
My goodness, this is a weighty tome.

It's a fun, skimmable DIY guide with a fun, ballsy voice, which--if that's your thing--is great. And it is my thing, and it's great. But this is not a book I need to own. While I appreciated the breadth of information (hairstyling! cocktail parties! housecleaning!), but for my own reference, it covered too much at the expense of informational depth. I'm the sort to want separate books on housecleaning, hairstyles, and cocktail parties, but if you don't, this
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Perfect graduation, housewarming, or shower gift. BUST rules.
Heather
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love practically every chapter! There's even one on making your own sex toys, seriously....not that I'm doing that...but good to know....
Nic
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The BUST DIY Guide to Life is a large collection of various articles from the magazine BUST. And by large I actually mean enormous. I reviewed an ebook copy of this book, and the sample excluded a good deal of content but still numbered in the several hundred pages.

This is the first book relating to DIY that has ever made me really thing about the ideology behind women of today choosing to participate in DIY, crafts, cooking and wh
Amanda Freeman
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-stuff
*received from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Let's face it, being a crafty person who is constantly seeking out some interesting new project means that I really enjoy DIY and craft books. Even if it a craft I am well versed in I still enjoy reading about it, because what if there is some new and exciting technique that I have never heard of? So it is no real surprise when Netgalley had The Bust DIY Guide To Life available for review that I wanted to give it a read. Brought to you by BUST ma
Sharon
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
The best part of this book was the foreword by Debbie Stoller (creator of Stitch n Bitch and co-creator of BUST magazine). She explained where the idea for a feminist magazine came from, how it was set up, and how she and the other co-creators built it from a tiny business, overcame several obstacles and made it into a successful print operation with offices and staff. As part of the magazine, they started to run a weekly DIY column that showed women it was okay to want to do the "housey girly s ...more
Sarah Lee
I recieved an ARC ebook version of this title from the publishers via NetGalley to read and review. This is 100% my honest review

Overall I liked the tone of the book, kind of young, fun and sassy. I downed it one star because this does appeal to me, it may not appeal to everyone. This book is not for the overly serious! It does have a nice selection of craft projects that would be good for those who do not have any craft experience. I felt for me and my experience level they are not quite for me
OutlawPoet
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do It Yourself Is…Cool?

Confession time: I was horrified when I started reading this book. It's got crafts and sewing. Things I admittedly stay away from. Sewing, for me, usually involves blood and Band-Aids. Crafts - okay, maybe not glue sniffing - but I did once actually super glue my fingers together. (True story!)

But as I read, I realized something. I want to make things. I want to hang my own shelves without almost breaking my thumb. I want to plant something that actually grows and doesn't
Teresa
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Up front: I read Bust as a teenage girl so there's always going to be a soft spot for the genuine-girl-power! writing style. Do you also enjoy bright and positive girls-can-do-anything writing? This book has got it.
The projects cover an impressive breadth of topics from personal to house to sewing to cooking to pretty much anything. They are styled interestingly and modernly in a series of well done photographs. There's lots of step-by-step photo essays and it was really lovely to be flicking th
Melankalia
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a wide variety of craft, home, and garden projects, as well as advice. Great for a beginner in any of those categories, although I did find it a tad vague on the how-to.

I have to admit being fairly disappointed in the craft section. I don’t know, I just expected the projects to be a little less complete beginner 90’s kitsch, and more…unusual? Unique? Sadly, there’s just not much here that is new and interesting for someone who is already in the scene.

I found the Making Basic
Lindsey Lewis
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of Bust DIY Guide to Life from NetGalley in return for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed below are entirely my own. This review will also appear on NetGalley, Amazon, and my blog, Mediatron.

From an in-your-face reusable grocery bag that looks like a plastic "Thank You" bag coupled with a "receipt" coin purse to homemade candles, the kitschy crafts in Bust DIY Guide to Life are anything but ordinary.

You may need some skills (sewing, k
Jenn Ballmann
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of the book for review through Net Galley, as always, all opinions are my own.

When I first picked up this book I thought it would be dedicated to crafts, but it is so much more than a craft book. Sure there are instructions for making pot holders, aprons, and reusable bags, all of which are perfect for the DIY Christmas I’m planning this year, but there are also sections dedicated to a variety of situations that come up in life. One of my favorites was called spring cleaning fo
Alexis
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Some pretty interesting stuff in here. Regular readers may notice that some of these tips were actually in BUST and they might remember some of these recipes/ etc.

I just basically looked/skimmed through this book, and realized that I'm not reallY eager to do any of these craft projects any more. I did enjoy some of the recipes and liked the crafts, but I know I'm not going to do them. There were also some tips on things to do- like travel alone, starting a woman's investment club etc.

Some intere
Amy Adams
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
There are all kinds of tips for everything from cleaning your house and making your own clothes to saving money and working out. It's a clever little collection that's like a best of Pinterest. I'd recommend it to people interested in DIY, especially with a focus on alternative style and saving money. It would also make a good housewarming gift! Unfortunately, I didn't see much of anything I haven't seen before. I also thought the images were somewhat lacking. Some of the descriptions and projec ...more
Paula
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I appreciate the feminist philosophy behind the book (and support it as well). The authors do a wonderful job of explaining their approach to life and philosophy being BUST (as well as the history) and go from there to have a series of cool and simple craft patterns. These patterns are interspersed with living tips, everything from natural pest control (it works) to surviving a three day emergency.

Great book, just like Ms. Stoller's knitting and crocheting books (I ha
Bianca
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This is truly a guide to life. With an array of DIY guides, including resumes, clothing alterations and craft projects, BUST editors have compiled the best of the best. Each piece was originally published in the magazine, so some of them will be familiar to subscribers (plus there are a few issue specific pieces).

This book is great for any gal who likes doing it herself. I think it's a great addition to anyone's bookshelf because the range of tutorials covers the essentials of everyday life.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Disclaimer: This ARC was given to me for free in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

I think this was an okay book. Some of the template designs were not my thing, not even in an ironic hipster way.

I did like some of the ideas behind some of the projects, and will gladly modify them.

I did love the more practical DIY with cleaning, house repair, and clothing repair. I guess, that means I am truly an adult now. :P
Alexis
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Nicely designed and full of fun crafts and sage advice (from cleaning, saving money, gardening, and more!).

I was disappointed with the food section where recipes were written in paragraphs and there were no photographs for each of the recipe. I glazed over that entire section.

I borrowed this book from the library and scanned all the pages that had crafts I wanted to try later. I recommend this to all instead of buying the book outright.
Allison
To be honest, a lot of the craft projects are kind of below my level (though I do see several I want to try), but it's a great overview of what "DIY" means -- not just crafting, but cooking, hair & makeup, money, exercise... it's a very practical overview of doing things for yourself because you can and because that's what grownups do, with the fun, sensible, and snarky Bust tone. Crafting + feminism = <3, y'all.
Ashley
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I didn't get a chance to read through this cover-to-cover before it had to go back to the library, but what I did read/flip through looked pretty good. It falls in the same category as Three Black Skirts and Modern Girl's Guide to Life but has more craft-related sections and is slightly more up-to-date by virtue of being recently published. If I didn't already own those other two I would want to own this, but as it is I don't currently have shelf space for it.
Trish
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a Bust girl! Seriously, I remember years ago hearing about the mag and scouring my Barnes & Noble trying to find it. I own Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch books. I DIY! So happy to have cool, fresh projects all in one fantastic book. In true Bust style, the projects are retro cool and simple to do, using easily found and/or repurposed materials. A book to treasure and gift to my girlfriends! Thanks Debbie!
Christy
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was hoping they'd include the rag rug tutorial from way back when, but this definitely collects some of the best how-tos from issues of Bust over the years. Some of the tutorials could go into more detail or include clearer pictures, but these were all magazine articles at one point, so I don't hold it against them for the most part. Definitely a good starting point for a chick with indie sensibilities who would like to develop her DIY skills.
Kirsten
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has everything a woman in her twenties needs. From cooking to sewing to fixing you car or bike, it is truly a guide for the modern woman. It teaches a woman how to do everything a man can do and how to be independent.

It teaches a woman how to start her own craft business or business in general. It teaches you how to save money, how to host a party, and how to do your hair like the seventies. This is a book every girl needs when starting on her own.
Tamara
Jun 27, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: green, non-fiction
The second book I've flipped through that devotes exactly two pages to childbirth. Weird. (Here's the other one.)

Conversational tone, step-by-step guide for basic life skills. I don't think this would be enough instruction for me to actually accomplish the tasks listed, but it does give a girl some confidence to try.
Nanci Booher
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I got a couple of good things from this book...like how to plant potatoes in a bucket. Most of the cleaning things I already knew and I am not a party giver so that was not helpful. I do like the form of the book, that the pages are not those slick cookbook type pages and the book is not heavier than a brick.
Amadeus
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel inspired. And pretty. Like Maria in West Side Story. But mostly inspired.

This isn't the kind of book you read-read. It's more the kind you flip through and then go back and read about the specific project you want to make. But where to start because so many of these look fun!

I also feel like someone could turn completing all of these projects into a blog.
AJ
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
This is a really fun book with a lot of different DIY for everyday living, including crafts, recipes, household cleaners, beauty products. I am glad I got this out of the library as it isn't something I would probably buy. It would make a great house warming gift for the crafty girl in your life.

I did get a really great recipe for a ginger brew that I can drink!
Amy
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Bust Magazine is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I was intrigued by the premise of this book. I plan on enjoying an afternoon perusing this, and then never DIYing any of the suggested projects, but I am okay with that. Another reviewer said this book contains just about everything under the sun except unicorn wrangling and how to play the banjo, so I might be disappointed...
Samma
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
All of the fashion tips are obviously meant for women far smaller than myself ("is a men's small a circus tent"...ah, no, I'd look like a push-pop!). Some o the recipes are OK, but what is the point of teaching me to cook something if I can't see the end result? Interesting "craft" ideas, but nothing spectacular.
  • The Repurposed Library
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • Subversive Cross Stitch
  • Making Stuff and Doing Things: A Collection of DIY Guides to Just About Everything
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • The Big-Ass Book of Crafts
  • Crafting a Meaningful Home: 27 DIY Projects to Tell Stories, Hold Memories, and Celebrate Family Heritage
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Something Special
  • World of Geekcraft: Step-by-Step Instructions for 25 Super-Cool Craft Projects
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs