Start by marking “The Afternet” as Want to Read:
The Afternet

The Afternet

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Unbeknownst to the living, St Peter has downed tools and gone fishing, leaving the entrance to eternity in the hands of a computer system, The Afternet. When the system begins to misfire under the workload, the ill-equipped representatives of God and the Devil tasked with managing the process are given an ultimatum. Fix The Afternet or go back to your previous afterlives. ...more
Published February 11th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Afternet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Afternet

Tweedledum
Death is not the end......in fact it's not even the beginning of the end in this hilarious and irreverent story about the disastrous attempt to computerise the "final judgement" The Afternet, having been overwhelmed with information it cannot process, has broken down and now the dead from all periods of history and even mythology are rubbing shoulders together in an ever growing limbo. Fans of Douglas Adams, (The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul) Terry Pratchett (Mort) and even CS Lewis ( The Grea ...more
Lou Grimm
May 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Stephen King once said "Every book you pick up has its own lesson or lessons, and quite often the bad books have more to teach you than the good ones".

The best way for me to review this book is to share the lessons I took from it: 5 things the book has helped me with.

1. To vary the length of my sentences. Most sentences in this book are long, have no rhythmic variety, and convey too many thoughts for my tiny brain to process.

2. To understand genre and how to market it appropriately. I thought th
Pop Bop
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Inventive, Mellow Amusement

Sometimes authors just try too hard to be antic and clever. Recently I've read a lot of books that involve either God quitting or Lucifer quitting, or some combination of angels and demons going on sabbatical, and the main feature that distinguishes the good from the less good is whether the author allows the story and the characters a little room to breathe and relax. That's by way of noting that here we seem to have a nice balance.

For a change the absent heavenly fig
Teri
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Third re-read! Far Fetched Funny Fantasy

Way underappreciated author in one of my top ten comedic fantasy series. It's definitely British humour, that snarky/satirical way that is similar to Robert Rankin and Robert Kroese. There's few series I re-read in Life After Death comedic genre; along with aforementioned authors, Nina Post's Last Donut Shop of the Apocalypse, Eirik Gumeny's Exponential Apocalypse and (Grant/Goody's Clovenhoof except the last). It's Douglas Adams funny.

I read a lot, maybe
Chanouel
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor, series
St Peter has had enough! He walks out and leaves the Pearly Gates unattended. To remedy the situation, The Afternet is created. A computer that processes the recently dead and decides their eternal fate.
The basis for this story is pure genius and it is delivered hilariously page after page as you follow the adventures of Geoffrey and Marcel, the clueless representatives of God and the Devil, who are charged with monitoring the timely process of the lost souls awaiting their fate.
If you have read
Philip
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable romp through almost heaven and hell. Some nice asides which may not be caught by non-UK based readers or even some UK ones, but it doesn't interfere with the tale of a failure in St Peter's processing system at the pearly gates.

A motley collection of ill matched characters then has to resolve the crisis with some nice set piece scenarios. Of course the ability to bring virtually any character from history into the story adds to the fun as they have all been hanging around
Andrew Hurst
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Finally finished reading The Afternet. Came close on a couple of occasions of giving up but persevered to the end. Glad I did. The idea is very good but needs some serious editing to make it much more punchy. The characters are good and you do grow to like them.

Having read it I will read the sequel at some stage. But not just yet.
Lesley
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The idea was interesting and original, though the writing was occasionally a bit clunky. I enjoyed it enough to read the whole series, so it was a worthwhile read for me.
Sharon