Start by marking “Social Crimes” as Want to Read:
Social Crimes

Social Crimes

(Jo Slater #1)

Murder was never my goal in life. I'm a very sentimental person at heart. I cry in old movies. I love animals and children. So if anyone had told me five years ago that I could have willfully and with malice aforethought killed a fellow human being, I would have said they were crazy. But life has surprises in store for all of us... Jo Slater is a grand dame of New York soc ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published June 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Social Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Social Crimes

Start your review of Social Crimes
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-and-fun
I bought this in the Denver airport, which pretty much sums up its literary merit, but I have to admit I stayed up late that night to finish it. F-U-N! The premise is pedestrian enough — a wealthy Manhattan socialite discovers her husband was unfaithful — but for our heroine the consequences are particularly dire. Right away she finds herself bumping down every rung of the social ladder until she collapses at the bottom, which, in her case, means dyeing her own hair and buying a pair of sale-pri ...more
Kara
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out like a fun read - something I imagine would be great at the beach. Sure, it was about social life in New York with a handful of references to French History - both subjects not of particular interest to me - but it was entertaining nonetheless. There was a sense of impending betrayal that got me hooked. Unfortunately, after said betrayal the story took a long downward spiral it never recovered from. For one, the handful of historical references became a heavy handed torrent ...more
Margaret
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about New York’s high society, about disgustingly rich people that have a life full of money and nothingness . That are worrying 24/7 about their clothes, their jewelry, their swimming pool, their premarital settlements, their lawyers ,their ex wives . Why four stars? Because I read it in three hours and I HAD FUN!!!
Dee-Ann
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wicked ... was not sure if you felt sorry or glad for the main characters troubles, but was cheering in an evil way for the ending.
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I selected this book because Barbara Rosenblat read it... and I have to say I almost sent it back to the library. I couldn't see where this book was going. A story about a girl from the mid-west marries a wealthy husband and 20 years later.. well I can't give away the book now can I?
If you can hang on to the last 1/4 of the book it gets pretty interesting.
Barbara of course reads is so well I had to listen to the end!
Pooch
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because Barbara Rosenblat was the reader, and it wasn’t what I was expecting. I’d forgotten the 90s rich bitch novels, when the economy was so high one could imagine the rich shrugging off a loss of a few hundred thousand dollars and when unexamined privilege was still shocking. This book suffers from having no characters to like. The narrator, Jo, is somewhat sympathetic at the beginning, although clearly unreliable as, in this sort of fiction world, a younger woman is always out to ...more
Micheal
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.

I loved the story and how well it flowed. There wasn't a part, at least in my opinion, that caused the story to feel janky or confusing. The mystery aspect of this book is good but, after a certain point in the storyline, you figure what is going to happen. Nevertheless, it was fun to read and hard to put down.

The last 8 chapters are the best part and everything preceding chapter, IMO, leads up to those final moments of the story. I just realized there is another book
Niki
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
read it a long ago, but it so sucked that i still remember it
Jill
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh what delicious reading! It's kind of difficult to pinpoint how un-put-down-able this novel was, because it's about a woman who isn't especially likeable, and no particular effort seems to have been made to make her more so, engaged in a series of plots and turns that are a bit unbelievable, silly, vacuous, stupendously stupid and just plain ridiculous.

But a good romping ride of a read it is, nonetheless! Jo Slater, our main gal, is a New York queen bee, having "married up" 20 years ago, to a
Caroline
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the reader who would like a glimpse of the social scene centered around the super wealthy of NYC, "Social Crimes" by Jane Stanton Hitchcock is the book for you. Money may not be able to buy one happiness or even true friends, but the sudden lack of it can definitely change a person just like the mindless pursuit of riches can bring out the worst in people. This book is absolutely fascinating! Well written, deftly plotted with well described and believable characters, it was hard to put down. ...more
Pam
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TITLE/AUTHOR: SOCIAL CRIMES by Jane Stanton Hitchcock
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF CD'S: Fiction/2002/10 cd's
TIME/PLACE: 2000, NYC
CHARACTERS: Jo Slater/ NYC Socialite
COMMENTS: Barbara Rosenblatt did an outstanding job
& altho' I'm not crazy about revenge themes the narrator
kept me listening. Jo, marries an older wealthy man abd
lives the high life of a NYC socialite. After 20 years of
marriage he dies of a heart attack and leaves his 200 million to Monique, his mistress, leaving Jo almost pennile
Z
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blurb
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
Such a great book! Great evil female protagonists are hard to find (the others I can think of are The Bad Seed and Wideacre) and this book provides one of the best. ...more
Pam
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, because the subject matter isn't one that I normally pick up. But the author was doing a local book signing, which put it front/center on the shelf of our local bookstore. Have to say that I enjoyed the plot twists and the absolute cunning that the writer gave to Jo. Definitely walked away not liking Nate Nathaniel, or as Jo says (paraphrased), 'my father taught me never to trust someone with two first names.' Hope I got that right.
Windy
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple of other books by this author which I really enjoyed. I didn't like this one as much. I think that the author wanted the reader to sympathise with the narrator and hold her as some sort of heroine, however I found her irritating and churlish. Maybe reading a tale of turn of the millennium New York jet setters isn't best done in austerity ridden Britain!
wordgirly
It is rare to find a book that is 1) evenly paced that 2) keeps the momentum going and suspense building, featuring 3) complete characters behaving like human beings. Throw in 4) social scandal and 5) murderous thoughts and I am yours! This is one of the best novels of manners I have read. Deftly plotted and intelligent. Delicious!
Nathan Marona
well written and humanizes an ultra-rich socialite as much as is possible I guess. The French history from which it draws some plot points and emotional weight is well done most of the time but gets a little weary when its clear the protagonist's only real personality trait is an obsession with a few decades of history in France.
Alison
Jul 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didntfinish
A novelist who blogs had this on her bookshelf (she blogged about what was on her shelf)so I checked it out. I could not get into it at all. It was cliched to the max. I don't know what I was thinking; I don't usually like books about rich society people anyway. Back to the library.
Mandy
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book, one of those just when you think you have it all stories but its not so sugar coated. really enjoyed this book and the sequel is good too!
Abigail
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down! I got so wrapped up in the story. It was a fun book, where you didn't have to think, or analyze anything; it was just a good escape.
Jen
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Slow at the beginning, and in a few other parts, but good overall. Great twists and turn in the plot toward the end. Good beach read, quick and pretty light.
Lefty
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A solid two stars. I love a good revenge read (legacy of Count of Monte Cristo), but it all felt like the song "Save the Rich."
Renee
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
I've been meaning to write this review for almost 12 hours now. The book's sitting next to me but I'm having trouble making myself write about it, just as I had mixed feelings while reading it. Neither is because it's bad -- it's not. In fact, I'd say it's up there with the best books I've read. It's just ... complicated. Wow is it complicated. And it was not nice, fluffy holiday reading.

Our narrator, Jo Slater, spent most of her adult life near (or on) the top of the social pyramid as the secon
Henry Mikitish
"Social Crimes" is a vaguely entertaining story that is just psychological enough, just circumspect enough, to hoist itself from the cesspool of indulgent, wretched works about "high society" into the realm of entertaining fiction. But only just enough. A vile, vain, and selfish socialite battles a less vile, vain, and selfish socialite in a New York City that is as greedy and as petty as you can imagine it. "Social Crimes" is an idea, an entertaining idea even, but it is not a story to look bac ...more
Marie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Khanson919
There were points when I was genuinely annoyed with this book and all the bad things that kept happening to the main character, but I also stayed up late reading it multiple nights because I wanted to see how she would get out of it. I did not expect the ending and overall I did enjoy the book. Would read another book in this series
Marissa Janeen
I wrote an indepth review on my blog: https://www.prettynotpractical.com/bl...

The short overview of my opinion goes like this: This is a dishy novel of revenge by a New York City grande dame against the upstart socialite who stole her fortune. It is a little slow, but overall well written.
Beverley Lombardi
I listened to the audio book. The reader was great. I really liked the beginning of the story and I liked Jo Slater at first. There were surprises in the beginning but then the socialite stuff dragged on. I didn't the ending. The book is supposed to be a mystery but it is not.
Jen
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Lots of fun- it reminded me a bit of Dominick Dunne and Judith Krantz, which is always good to read. Likely very boring if you don't have any interest in the social lives of wealthy New York "society", but I enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sammy's Hill (Samantha Joyce, #1)
  • Aesthetic Intelligence: How to Boost It and Use It in Business and Beyond
  • Philistines at the Hedgerow: Passion and Property in the Hamptons
  • The Body in the Piazza (Faith Fairchild, #21)
  • Light of the Stars: Alien Worlds and the Fate of the Earth
  • Murder by Other Means (The Dispatcher, #2)
  • The Dark Web: Introduction
  • Phreaks
  • Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story
  • Multiple Exposure (Sophie Medina, #1)
  • The Woman Before Wallis
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • Poison Orchids
  • Vingar av silver (Fayes hämnd, #2)
  • The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation
  • My Husband's Lie
  • The First Wife
  • Objects of My Affection
Bestselling author Jane Stanton Hitchcock was born and raised in New York City, where she led a seemingly privileged life. Early on, she learned the trappings of wealth and fame are not nearly all they are cracked up to be, themes she has since explored in screenplays, stage plays, and novels dealing with murder and mayhem in high places.

Best known for her mystery novels, Jane is also an avid pok

Jo Slater (2 books)
  • One Dangerous Lady (Jo Slater #2)

News & Interviews

“People described me then as a "socialite," a label I loathe. It cast me in a lurid and ridiculous light, implying a life of privileged frivolity where everyone fits around from one party to the next wearing calculated clothes and expensive smiles” 3 likes