Start by marking “The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)

Read eBook

The Last Goddess

(The Shattered Messiah #1)

When a man discovers the body of the long-lost Messiah, he fears her very presence might incite a holy war. When she wakes up, he is certain of it...

Nathan Rook never had much use for faith. As a soldier in the last war, he witnessed first-hand the devastation wrought by the ageless religious schism so deeply dividing his country. But when he discovers an ancient coffin
Kindle Edition, 4 edition (May 12, 2011), 350 pages
Published May 12th 2011 by Jade Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about The Last Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Goddess

Start your review of The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
Janeandjerry
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I GIVE IT A 4 STAR JUST BECAUSE IT WAS A SLOW READ AT THE START BUT WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT A 5 STAR OVERALL JUST BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT ALL COMES TOGETHER AND HOW THE CHARACTERS AND MAGIC WERE USED TOGETHER TO FIND THE REAL LAST GODDESS AFTER ALL...
Kcmoore
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
About halfway through the book this immediately became one of my favorite fantasy series. Stalbaum's writing style is a refreshing change from a lot of others in the genre because he doesn't bog the reader down with useless details and lengthy descriptions. The world is developed naturally over the course of the book, and the characters are very memorable.

The book's big mystery is handled amazingly well (like all of Stalbaum's books) with everything flying together at the end for a big climax.
Volpot
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.

The story concerns a group of comrades embarked on a bit of a quest (although they wouldn't call it that): A somewhat jaded (but secretly idealistic) not-quite crooked but not-quite legit operator within the seams of society, a mercenary-type guy who acts rough and tough but who would die for his friends (not that he would admit it), a female warrior (who is really a chanteuse at heart), an idealistic monk (who is destined to have all his of beliefs crushed), and a female
Sadie Forsythe
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Accurate or not, let me tell you what I expected from this book after reading the description. I thought it would be something like a steampunk version of The Fifth Element. You see Selaste would be Leeloo, Rook would be Korben Dallas, and there is even a arcane priesthood whose representatives could have been Vito Cornelius and his apprentice. Ok, so I was a bit off the mark. There is more going on here than in my favourite absurdist Space Opera. For one thing there is a lot of political ...more
Cat
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book caught my eye in the Amazon Kindle fantasy genre list. I downloaded the sample, and then quickly bought the whole book.

The Last Goddess is about an 'information broker' (read: spy/smuggler) who purchases, amongst some ancient artefacts, the body of a woman held in stasis in a coffin. This woman is apparently the Kirshal (Messiah), hidden for a thousand years, and is prophesied to bring about a new age. Of course, there are many people who would like to get their hands on the Kirshal,
Heather
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I liked the worldbuilding in this book, although a map would have been helpful for me to keep the countries straight. I liked the idea that using magic comes with a price. The writing was good, although it could have used some editing (for a very few grammatical errors--"their" instead of "there", etc.) And the author likes one-sentence paragraphs a little too much (a la Dan Brown):

"As he gazed across the room, he surveyed his options. The whole situation reminded him of a long ago battle. But
Sue
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked up the Kindle version of this book for free during a promotional special I found on Pixel of Ink. The story revolves around a trader and his associates who stumble upon what appears to be the answer to a prophesy in the form of a sleeping goddess. However, nothing and noone is as they seem, and the plot is pulled in different directions as things are revealed. Great story, and while magic was an important part of the story, it took more of a supporting role. I found myself wondering ...more
Colleen
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a bad story, but you get tangled up in strange words and things that are never really explained or defined. I love fantasy and Sci-Fi, but I've seen other authors explain their worlds better.

On a fun little aside: I found myself thinking more and more of the TV show "Firefly" as I read this book. Maybe it's just me, but I really felt like the characters were modeled after characters in that show. Nathan Rook seemed a LOT like Malcom Reynolds, for example. He's a leader of men, once in the
Kjirstin
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was interesting, and I really did enjoy reading about the rules of magic in this world, and the mystery surrounding the main character. The reveal at the end was enjoyable. However, I just couldn't get into the rest of the story. I didn't have much connection to the characters, and found myself skimming through a lot of the (many) action sequences. I'm not quite sure why this didn't work for me, but the book itself was well-written and, again, very interesting. Worth a read if you enjoy ...more
Lyndi W.
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a slow burn for me. Loved the action scenes, they were really well written and had my heart pumping. The characters were a nice motley crew of personalities - a bruiser, a singer, and a monk round things out with our H and h. Lots of twists and turns that took me by surprise - loved that. The romance is super PG. I think.

It had a satisfactory ending with general allusions to problems that will be dealt with in sequels, but then at the very end it's like - SURPRISE, BITCH! Now my plans
Heidi Garrett
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
WOW! When I started reading THE LAST GODDESS after "buying" it from Amazon Best Sellers, Top 100 Kindle Free List, my first thought was: why-in-the-heck haven't I ever heard of this book or its author, C.E. Stalbaum before?

The story, the world, the characters, and the writing are all outstanding. Warring religions and their allegiant countries provide an intricate backdrop for a fresh plot and the twists work.

I highly recommend this book. It deserves more than five stars.
K.N. Timofeev
My fingers feel like they're about to explode because I don't even know where to start. I loved this book right from page one. The characters all seemed so real and the fighting sequences were fantastic! The plot twists were unexpected and I loved everyone. I wish I could write about it but I don't want to spoil anything! You have to read this book!
Matt Kelland
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I used to read a lot of fantasy in the 70s & 80s. I'd read almost anything. These days, fantasy has to be really, really good to hold my attention. This wasn't one of those.

My 1-star review isn't meant to indicate that this is a bad book. It isn't. It's a perfectly good book if you like that sort of thing. I just didn't like it and didn't finish it.
Eileen
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I usually breeze through a book in a few hours. This one took longer because it is so rich with world-building description, and I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of characters to follow, and I didn't see the twist coming, so it was quite an enjoyable read!
Rachelle
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
really is a wonderful adventure, filled with the perfect amount of details. well developed and should be on your 'to-read' list

Review up at DoubleshotReviews.com
Deanna
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
Mary
Sep 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
couldn't get into it - will try again later.
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Decent story, but really hard for me to maintain my interest in it. I liked the first book of the other series better.
Eileen
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Just started this one... not impressed so far at about 10% but I'll give it a good go.
Alice Sabo
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read. Good World building, the characters are fun and the pace is good. The writing is good, and flows well. I will definitely look for more by this writer.
Dom
Nov 15, 2014
C A Winters
Oct 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
C.E. Stalbaum grew up reading plenty of space opera and fantasy, particularly Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Robert Jordan, and most of all Timothy Zahn. In 2011, Stalbaum published “The Last Goddess” and has written nearly a dozen other novels and novellas since.

C.E. Stalbaum also writes the dark fantasy “Godswar Saga” under the name “Jennifer Vale.”

The Shattered Messiah (3 books)
  • The Last Empress (The Shattered Messiah, #2)
  • The Last Sacrifice (The Shattered Messiah #3)