Start by marking “Life Strategies For Teens” as Want to Read:
Life Strategies For Teens

Life Strategies For Teens

From the son of Dr. Phil McGraw comes Life Strategies for Teens, the New York Times bestselling guide to teenage success, and the first guide to teenage life that won’t tell you what to do, or who to be, but rather how to live life best.

Are you as tired as I am of books constantly telling you about doing your best to understand your parents, doing your homework, making cur
Published December 4th 2000 by Touchstone (first published December 1st 2000)

Sara
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Not exactly the best self-help book for teens that I've seen, but not the worst either. Probably could have used some more editing in some spots, but overall a somewhat helpful book.
Phoenix
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the trash bin
This was part of my required summer reading one year for high school. I was frankly kind of offended (once I had actually started reading the thing) and lost a lot of faith in the people who made that decision.

Did you just read the title? Is that what you did? You decided that if Dr. Phil was good enough for Oprah then some rehashed bullshit that his kid strung up for a quick buck was good enough for your kids to read?

Maybe we should take our reading recommendations from, say, books that maybe
John Parker
Oct 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
The book is still fresh despite being published in 2000. It's an easy read with a conversational tone by Jay that echoes of his famous father.
The main point of the book calls readers to take action and responsibility for themselves.
Be confident about adding this book to the collection in the classroom or media center.
Jo
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 6th graders up
My son said this was well done. Amazing!
Ashton Barnes
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book has been very helpful and I look forward to using the 10 life laws
Emi
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book I often turn to for a pick me up and words of encouragement even as an adult.
Megan
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Megan brehmer
informational
236 pages
12/17/12
This book teaches you how to get you through your teen ages. First he focused on 10 laws that are suppose to help you through life the fist one was you either get it or you don't. This law was all about you can kind of know something completely or you don't know it and how your mind thinks about things that they just don't get. The next law was you create your own experience. This was all about if you have a bad time its not someone else fault you creat
Natasha McNeely
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, research
Jay McGraw strikes again with this book, Life Strategies for Teens.

Translated from his father's book, into a language more attractive for teenagers, this non-fiction book focuses on helping teenagers learn life strategies.

The book includes multiple exercises on how to live life the way you want to. With tips against bullying, for hobbies and so many other things, this book is a decent collection for those looking for a little extra help, or some assurance that things will be alright.

Much of what
Veronica
Nov 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those wanting to remember teen angst and grow
Shelves: mother-help
He is coming from very much in the trenches of the high school scene, but this 20 yr old author has grown a lot in six years and now not letting his homework go--now he is seeing that his actions have consequences.

The cartoony illustrations and top ten list on what leads to a "loser" life or what works in life (hey, how about the Ten Commandments ;-)) work.

Broke me out of my rut in doing things I'd just gotten used to doing even now as a mother, such as not acting and expecting results to my lik
Sherri
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Genre: Self-help

Rating: **** The author, Jay McGraw, is the son of bestselling author, Phillip C. McGraw, and this book follows his dad’s book, Life Stategies. Jay McGraw has taken his dad’s ideas and made them more kid friendly. It is a funny, but straightforward guide to help teenagers deal with life.

Summary: This book focuses on the Ten Laws of Life. Teenagers are encouraged to take control of their own lives. They are asked questions about missed opportunities, perceptions, self-sabotage, an
Julien Courtade
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Life Strategies for Teens" by Jay Mcgraw, son of Dr. Phil, was a very compelling book. It stated in the beginning that it could change my life with a few steps in mind. Now this book is not fiction nor Sci-fi, but it is non-fiction which is very unusual for me to read. I love my explosions and gun fights, but I thought it would be a great change for once. Boy did I really not only enjoy this book, but actually used it and applied it to my life. I think that Jay Mcgraw is an amazing author. Brav ...more
Ryan
May 22, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Teenagers my age.
Shelves: have-read
Life Strategies for Teens was a book that greatly appealed to me when i first discovered it. The book seemed to be an answer to all of the problems i have, the problems that i have already had an didn't have a solution to, and the problems that i will most likely experience in the future. The book seemed to be very easy to understand and had claims of solving all of my problems. After reading the book, i realized that it was written by someone not much older than me, who really understands what ...more
Caitlin Trepp
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chanah
Recommended to Caitlin by: Dr. Phil
I wasn't sure about this book a few years ago when I read it. I recently (just about now) finished re-reading, and I think that there are definite gems here. It's entertaining (as teen non-fiction can realistically be), to the point, and polished. I enjoyed this book the first time (when I was a teen) and this time (I'm still a teen, but barely). I loved this book over time; to me it's a classic! Mileage may vary.
Ruth
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book - for a teenager. It's written by a teenager (well, I think he had just turned 20 when he wrote it), and it speaks to teenagers in their language. I would probably have my kids read this as teenagers. What I really like about this book is that it's interactive. The author has you make lists, and write down your thoughts and different things. It's a good way to get you thinking and learn how to apply the things he's talking about.
xotic3
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
This book was just what i really loved reading during my teen years. Although, I come from a different culture and live by different rules and stuff, I actually liked the book and liked how way to help teens was introduced. Like teens can really relate, although I wasn't living an American life and all, but I could relate to what he was trying to point out and say, it was really fun to read.
Ian Mcenaney
When i read this book(which i was forced to) i realized how annoying life can get as a teenager. I didn't learn to much from this book as i had previously learned most of these strategies from a book called THE SECERET that tells you about key life stratigies that will come in handy in day two day situations.
1403chloe
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2nd-semeter
I would recomend this book to people in school who are haveing any kind of problems. School, homework, bulleis, parents, friends, anything. The book answered some of my problems with to much school work. It was also very easy to understand all he had to say.
Annie
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good read so far although some of the concepts are repeated in each chapter. A book I am going to buy and make my kids read and will suggest to nieces and nephews (or their parents) as a must-read!
Mary
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I used this book to help my students think about the choices they make, and to help them realize that they have the power to make their life what they want it to be, even if they don't realize it. Some of the examples are a little outdated.
Letitia
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this one was easy to read and that it would connect with the Kids. Jay spoke in a language that they could understand. He even cussed a few times to get the point across. I plan to have my son listen to this one on audio.
Brian Rodriguez
is a good book it i love it.it say alot about teens problem how they handel i think i can connect i littel bit about this because it say thing about 2 face people i know alot of people like that.put this book in your feet and u will feel what they talking about!
Melissa
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody with teenagers
This was right down my alley for my social work/psychology interests.

He writes for teens. I just wish he would leave out the swear words.

That week I was thinking about how to handle a change in my life and his thoughts on taking risks helped me in that situation.
Andd Becker
Sep 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dr. Phil's son interprets his dad's writings.
He misattributes a well-known quotation by Calvin Coolidge.
Ian Mcenaney
This book taugt me some liife strategies to use but most of these i already knew. Also i learned how much parents try to help you but you usally ignore them
Mikayla Clipperton
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book helped me work through a lot of issues in my life. And it taught me to focus on my future and not the past.
Rishika
i recommend this to everyone, not only teens.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book really helped me take a look at my life and get my priorities straight. definitely worth reading!!
Whitney Fanning
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this book, gave me a whole new mindset.
I finished this book over, winter break.
Cherie
Sep 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Okay self help book. Not my sort of thing though.
Kelli
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I was surprised by how much I like it. Will be reading this one with Katie soon.

• How to Win Friends and Influence People for Teen Girls
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Letters - Letters of Life, Love and Learning
  • Daily Reflections For Highly Effective Teens
  • Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life
  • No Body's Perfect
  • Greed (Seven Deadly Sins, #7)
  • Sinfest, Vol. 1
  • Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures in TV Writing
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Disney's Princess Storybook Collection: Love and Friendship Stories
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Holidays
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • Regular Guy
  • My Mother Said I Never Should
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • Egyptian Myth: A Very Short Introduction
  • Tunnels of Time: A Moose Jaw Adventure
  • The Secret Language of Eating Disorders: How You Can Understand and Work to Cure Anorexia and Bulimia
Jay Phillip McGraw (born September 12, 1979 in Wichita County, Texas) is the son of Phil McGraw of The Dr. Phil Show and Robin McGraw. He has one younger brother, Jordan (a musician). He has written several books aimed at young people. He has also appeared on The Dr. Phil Show.

McGraw is President and CEO of Stage 29 Productions in Los Angeles, a company he co-founded with his father. He has served