Start by marking “Ezra Jack Keats: A Biography with Illustrations” as Want to Read:
Ezra Jack Keats: A Biography with Illustrations

Ezra Jack Keats: A Biography with Illustrations

Book by Engel, Dean, Freedman, Florence B.
Published January 1st 1995 by Silver Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about Ezra Jack Keats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ezra Jack Keats

Start your review of Ezra Jack Keats: A Biography with Illustrations
Vee
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every once in a while I re-discover the magic, the charm, the purpose of public libraries. I didn't know there was Ezra Keats biography and I'm glad I picked up this book.

The chapter titled Newspaper Clippings is heartwarming and tragic. The chapter titled A Place of His Own revealed my ignorance and reminded me that I'm am not smart or well-informed. Admission: I did not know that newspapers help wanted ads openly discriminated against Jews. Really? I don't know why but that pissed me off. Th
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my children for the Redeemed Reader challenge, and I loved it - a wonderful account of a fantastic children's author and illustrator. It certainly has inspired me to pick up more of Keats' books. And after reading this book, I discovered it would fit the 2020 Challies reading challenge too. Serendipity! ...more
Denise Lauron
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up as part of the series of Ezra Jack Keats children's books that I was reading. I was expecting it to be a children's book, but it wasn't really. It told the story of Ezra Jack Keats from childhood to death. It's really too long to be a children's book, but it was written like one.

I am glad I read the book, and I will be working my way through more of the books that feature the artist's work.
Kelsey Klaus
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-261, biography
An author we all love and know, this book tells the story of his life. Kids will be drawn to the name they have seen on some of their favorite picture books. The illustrations in this book are outstanding! This is a great book for the class to read aloud and then for kids to be able to explore on their own. A great introduction to the world of biography.
Cara Byrne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A loving biography written by friends of Keats. It's categorized as a children's book, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as such. _A Poem for Peter_ is a better work for children that honors Keats. ...more
Margot Note
Read in bed with tea on a rainy day
Jessica
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edr-320
This book was a biography about Ezra Jack Keats. I loved the book because it showed the struggles an artist goes through regarding support but in a kid-friendly manner. I know a good handful of people that have given up on their artistic dreams because people have discouraged them from pursuing their passion. I loved how easy to read yet very informational the book was. It made reading biographies fun and enjoyable and I especially loved how they included his artwork. The book gave a very good o ...more
Kristin Nelson
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this illustrated biography of Keats, especially because the illustrations were from his books or his original paintings. I learned quite a bit and found some of his books to add to my to-read list. Also, I always assumed that Keats was African-American like his characters, but nope he was actually from a Polish Jewish family.
Alondra Hernandez
This book is about the life of Ezra Jack Keats. Would be great for older kids maybe grades 5-6 because it is a long book that would take some time to finish. The book is about how he first started with drawings. This book is also written by someone that new him supposedly.
Katie Adams
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was told in a very interesting, narrative way that would be easy enough for 2nd-5th graders to understand. I learned a lot! For instance, did you know Ezra Jack Keats joined the army during WWII, but instead of going overseas, was assigned to design camouflage?!
Sara
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NF- Biography
Anna Youssef
Mar 09, 2017 added it
Shelves: biography
This book is a biography about the author, but in the perspective of a child. It is amazing the way that an adult can put their perspective into the eyes of a child, and come down to their level. The illustrations are so beautiful, and inspiring. He uses a lot of water colors, and the words are big enough that small children who have a hard time to read can see and sound out the words.
Stephanie
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Great way to start to teach students about bibliographies. The illustrations keep the readers interested. I would show this to my students at a second-third grade level students if they are capable just to start getting them familiar with bibliographies as they are started to get stronger in reading.
Alfredalmond
In large print, Engel presents the life of Ezra Jack Keats, a man a head of his time, who appreciated all people. He tells his life using his Keats illustrations. Great book to get an inside look at the man.
Sandy Brehl
Ezra Jack Keats picture books changed the face of children's literature, in every way. His art is deceptively simple, and this biography uses his own illustrations and art work to reveal the layers of talent and training that support his genius. ...more
K.c.
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet inspiring story about a wonderful and incredibly imaginative illustrator.
Jim
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
fantastic! only wish one thing, the authors list the books Keats authored and illoed, would also have been nice to see the books he was just the illustrator for.
Matthew
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful biography about one of America's most talented, but least noticed artist and authors. Simply fantastic! ...more
Jill Waltz

• Before the Ever After
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures
  • The Only Girl in the World
  • Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail
  • Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons from an Extraordinary Life
  • Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II
  • Between Breaths: A Memoir of Panic and Addiction
  • A Beautiful, Terrible Thing: A Memoir of Marriage and Betrayal
  • I Am Redeemed: Learning to Live in Grace
  • Everybody's Got Something
  • Facing Your Giants: God Still Does the Impossible
  • The Sea Keeper's Daughters (Carolina #3)
  • The Kindness Diaries: One Man's Quest to Ignite Goodwill and Transform Lives Around the World
  • Waking Up White: And Finding Myself in the Story of Race

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...