Start by marking “Venetia” as Want to Read:
Venetia

Venetia

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  13,029 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews
Twenty-five years Venetia Lanyon's beauty rivaled only by her sensibility. Intelligent and independent, her future seems safe and predictable. Lovely Venetia despairs of ever meeting the handsome hero of her romantic dreams, but is nearly resigned to spinsterhood, thanks to the enormous amount of responsibility she inherited with a Yorkshire estate and an invalid but preco ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Venetia, please sign up.
Elizabeth It means floored by the auctioneer's hammer, Tattersall's is a major auctioneer of racehorses.

"I haven't yet been floored by the hammer,…more

"I haven't yet been floored by the hammer, if that's what you mean!"

Venetia was asking whether he was in Yorkshire because of "that thing at Tattersall's"
I think Damerel was joking he's not yet in such dire financial circumstances that he's had to sell himself on the auction block. Venetia clarifies that by "that thing at Tattersalls" she means "Black Monday" or the "Settling Day"(the day after a big race when everyone has to settle their accounts) she's implying he's come back to his Yorkshire estate because he's lost a bunch of assets gambling, or sold all his racehorses.(less)

·  13,029 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews

Start your review of Venetia
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
June 2019 reread with the Georgette Heyer group!

News flash: I'm not 18 any more. So even though I still have a soft spot for romances in general and Regencies in particular, my appetite for reading about sweet, silly young girls who do brainless things and have Big Misunderstandings with the guy has dwindled to almost zero. When you're yelling "TALK TO EACH OTHER, PEOPLE" at a book, it's not particularly conducive to the romantic feelz.

Which brings me to Venetia. Venetia herself
mark monday
Chapter 1, in which I continue my love affair with a most enchanting author!

Chapter 2, in which Venetia is established as a heroine of much wit, honesty, and vitality.

Chapter 3, in which Venetia is contemplative of the rakish Lord Damerel and her brother Aubrey takes a wracking spill.

Chapter 4, in which Venetia and Lord Damerel find the best of all things: friendship.

Chapter 5, in which it is noted that the Scoundrel is but hidden twin to the Good Man: each male contains both sides; the Sensib/>Chapter/>Chapter/>Chapter/>Chapter
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I read the Arrow, but I think Arrow got it completely wrong with the cover art on their edition - a plain redhead Venetia, a bland looking, curly haired Damerel! Faugh! I still do have my old falling apart Pan & checked some of the Regency slang to make sure there were no typos (as far as I could tell there weren't!)

Another example of GH experimenting with the genre & my younger self would have found Venetia's realistic expectations for her future happiness & (view spoiler) ...more
Anne
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Recommended to Anne by: Becca, Marquise, Seema, Tweety, QNPoohBear & probably a whole lot of other people I forget!!!
Yorkshire, 1818

*WARNING! Spoilers, gushing, swooning, quoting and rose-petal strewing ahead! ;) (no orgies though, I promise -- read on safely :P)*

O Venetia! Thou hast utterly captured my soul!

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

And a Damerel by any other name would be just as swoon-worthy!

"I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself."

Because my name is Venetia andclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"Iclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"A
Beverly
This is a sweet little historical romance with a hero and heroine who are like minded in being, smart, witty and refreshingly honest with each other. Unlike most of this genre, the virginal lady knows exactly who the rake is and loves him anyway, because she can see that beneath the veneer of ugly behavior is a kind man.

She, Venetia (ugly name and how is it pronounced?), has seen his kindness in action when her younger brother, Aubrey, who has a lame leg, is injured horse riding near the gentle
Melindam
Enjoyed the story very much. Venetia's sense, sass and humour is nothing short of amazing.

The hero was cut out along the usual lines of generic, worldweary, byronic rake and I found him quite meh, but I got used to him in the end.
Dawn (& Ron)
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen and Regency fans
I am one of those who steered clear of Georgette Heyer for years, even though I heard the comparisons to Jane Austen, I was afraid they were formulaic romances. To my surprise it wasn't what I feared all those years and proved that breaking out of one's reading comfort zone can be quite rewarding. This was made more enjoyable getting to read this along with Sabrina, who also had some of the same feelings regarding Heyer, and both of us ended up enjoying it.

I was aware Heyer was famous, or some
Rebecca May
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Never in my life have I been so glad of a rainy afternoon. Never so glad that I was bored and typed a name into a search bar to see what would come up.

It was in this slightly unorthodox way that I originally discovered Venetia. In a fit of utter boredom I typed the name “Richard Armitage” (he'd recently become my favourite actor) into the iTunes search bar, and what should appear? ...Three novels by Georgette Heyer, narrated by Richard Armitage.

I need not tell you I was wide awake again after that. Be
Andrea
Here's the thing: This book is one of my all-time favorite books. I've read it so many times by now that I lost count. And yet I never wrote a review, because I could never really find the right words to do this book justice. When I finally convinced two of my good friends to give this book a try, yet another re-read was in order! And guess what, I still love it, and still can't come up with coherent reasons why.

Let's start with the heroine:
"I wish you will tell me some of the things you have done!"/>"I
Andrea
Here's the thing: This book is one of my all-time favorite books. I've read it so many times by now that I lost count. And yet I never wrote a review, because I could never really find the right words to do this book justice. When I finally convinced to of my good friends to give this book a try, yet another re-read was in order! And guess what, I still love it, and still can't come up with coherent reasons why.

Let's start with the heroine:
"I wish you will tell me some of the things you have done!"/>"I
Marquise
Je n'aurais jamais cru que Monseigneur le Duc d'Avon pourrait être remplacé par un autre héros!

When I start to mutter in French, it hints the book must've made an impression. And, dear me, this one did. How could it not? It's very intense for the average Heyer novel, a writer that normally shies away from overt sexiness as a scalded cat from water. A good timing it had, too, for I was on the edge of losing faith in this author's capacity to create masculine characters as interesting as Monsei
Caz
Venetia is, without question, my favourite of all Georgette Heyer’s Regency Romances, and I’ve been looking forward to this new, unabridged audio version for some time. Much of the story takes place in the Autumn, and I’ve always felt that the book has a corresponding maturity about it, an almost elegiac feel in terms of the beauty of the prose and in the depth of the characterisation. Damerel is certainly one of Ms Heyer’s most strongly drawn – and sexiest – heroes, and the eponymous heroine is an abs ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, owned
One of my favorite Heyer romances, I enjoyed listening to this with my youngest as we commuted to and from her school (which is on the way to my work). I'm so glad we've started listening to these outstanding novels (we started with The Grand Sophy). Not only are the stories great, but discussing them with her is an added delight.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

While reading Venetia I spent half of my time being thrilled (Lord Damerel and Venetia are both wonderful characters) and the other half being frustrated, annoyed and plain angry. There was no middle, people.

On the one hand, you have these two wonderful people. Lord Damerel is said to be every horrible and ugly thing under the sun, but to me he was perfect. He never does anything bad in the book. His actions speak louder than any pretty words could. Although his first appearance is
Abigail Bok
Venetia is many readers’ favorite Heyer novel, but not mine. The heroine is older, bolder, and little concerned with the proprieties; she is also kind and thoughtful and beautiful, so you get to have it both ways. The hero is the epitome of Heyer’s rakish strain of male leads, and he comes to Venetia’s neighborhood trailing epigrams and the sulfurous odor of wickedness. They meet and sparks instantaneously fly, but his reputation and secrets from her past generate lots of opposition. The hero, trying t ...more
QNPoohBear
At five-and-twenty Venetia Lanyon has never been in love. All her experience with romance comes from between the covers of a book. All her experience of the world outside her Yorkshire village comes from the books she has read. Yet, she does not dream of romance and is content to run her family's estate while her eldest brother is with the Army of Occupation on the Continent. She enjoys the company of her younger brother Aubrey and when Conway returns home and Aubrey goes to University, Venetia ...more
Kim
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Georgette Heyer when I was a teenager, some thirty five years ago, when my mother gave me Friday's Child and told me she thought I would enjoy it. Since then I have read all the romances, a number of them countless times. They have long been the books I turn to when I'm feeling unwell, a bit fragile, or when it's cold and wet and I need a comfort read!

Just recently I have started listening to audiobook versions of Heyer novels. I did not think that I would enjoy listening to b
Jessica
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My.

After years of ignoring this book on my shelf (I think it's the cheesy '80's cover), I have now found my new favorite Georgette Heyer. Oh. My.

This book has everything! A saucy young lady with an oddball family. A leading man who is just as witty as she is. Meddling neighbors. Meddling family. And scandal after scandal after SCANDAL. Divorce! Secret marriage! Overbearing in-laws! Rakes! Elopements! Squandered fortunes!

Venetia's delightfully witty responses to every
Emily
I LOVED this book. It's definitely my favorite Heyer and probably my favorite regency romance. The entire book made me laugh, from descriptions of Oswald Denny attempting to become the Corsair to the many delightful exchanges between Damerel and Venetia, who are a couple that are truly fun to read about. Every character is fully realized, from the odious Edward Yardley (someone I wish I could have shaken!) to the self-absorbed Lady Steeple. This world feels real, and firmly grounded in the right era. ...more
Kelly
Its said that Georgette Heyer created the Regency romance genre, and future authors used her books as their model. It is my opinion that they used this specific book as a model. At least, the good ones did. This particular book felt much more modern than the other ones, in the sense that I've seen other authors try to rip off this story and its tone in more recent books many many times. But that's because its very well done and very enjoyable. The romance centers on a friendship rather than a re ...more
Seema Khan
4.85 stars actually.. Why not the complete 5 I shall say presently.
There are those books which you never want to end and which you never want to keep away; Venetia is one such book! I literally felt bad that it ended! And it is one of the rare books in the middle of which I felt like crying! It so touched me! Yet again Georgette Heyer magic is very evident in this book. I am so glad that I did read this one.
Venetia stands very close to Frederica (My No.1 Heyer)in my list of favourite
Maggie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
Georgette Heyer is the first author I've read who makes Jane Austen seem emo. Don't get me wrong, I adore Austen and consider WWJD to stand for "What Would Jane Do?", but I really enjoyed this charming and angst-free Regency tale of Venetia and her Wicked Baron, the rake Damerel. Oh Damerel... Imagine Sense and Sensibility's Willoughby and Jane Eyre's Rochester without their respective issues -- or wives. Damerel is charming, mischievous, and funny. The same could also be said of Venetia, who is nearing spinsterhood at, gasp!, five-and-twenty.

Heyer
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
I loved how tangled this story was and how well Richard Armitage performs the role of reformed rogue. But I'm sad that there's only one more of these novels with this fabulous narrator available from my library, and it's currently checked out so I have to wait to enjoy it. :(
Mei
Sep 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-books, historical
I’m really sorry, but I didn’t liked it… I suppose the story could have been interesting, but the writing style was too confusing for me.

Unfortunately there was no possibility of following it up in the accepted mode, and although several susceptible gentlemen inveighed bitterly against the barbarity of a parent who would permit no visitor to enter his house none of them was so deeply heart-smitten after standing up with the lovely Miss Lanyon for one country-dance as to cast aside every canon of
me.
Mela
This was my first book by G. Heyer. I read it in my first year of reading in English, so I wasn't an admirer of English language yet (I knew it not enough). Now, after a second reading I admit, I underestimated it. I mean, 4 stars? Really? ;-)

Let's start with a general outline:

* Venetia Lanyon (25) - beautiful (gorgeous), sensible, rather calm, intelligent (almost bluestocking, horror! ;-) ), witty.
* Lord Jasper Damerel (38) - nice-looking but not handsome, intellig
Lacey
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've finally read (or in this case listened) to a Georgette Heyer book and I was definitely not disappointed! This was a wondeful book made even more better since it was a buddy read with my two favorite reading buddies, Andrea and Becca :) (Thanks for making try this book, Andrea!)

Anyway, I loved every bit of this book. Venetia is an amazing heroine and she's well suited with Damarel. Their banter was a delight to listen to.
Ange H
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-books-i-own
If you only read one book by Georgette Heyer, this one should probably be it. Venetia is a heroine of almost Lizzie-Bennet-level awesomeness who takes charge of her life and gets what she wants regardless of what everyone around her tells her she should do.
Lady Wesley
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Heyer and probably the sexiest hero she ever created. It reads great, but the best way to discover Venetia is by listening to the Richard Armitage audiobook on NAXOS. Yes, it's an abridged version, but hearing RA as Damerel is not to be missed. Truly swoonworthy.
Becca
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla, audio
This was my first audiobook AND my first Georgette Heyer! I know...it's a bit disgraceful that I've waited this long to read a book from the woman whom many consider to be the creator of the Regency romance, but while I love Jane Austen and other not-modern authors, I also sometimes find their work a bit tougher to get through when my eyes or brain are tired.

Solution: Richard Armitage reading Heyer to me!

Oh man, I have tried several audiobooks but have never gotten into them. Ap
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
The Green Girl and The Notorious Rake

In one of her most popular and beloved novels, Georgette Heyer introduces readers to Miss Venetia Lanyon, a twenty-five year old beauty tucked away in her family estate in Yorkshire. At the moment Venetia’s life is somewhat at a standstill. Her brother who serves in the army, Conway has not yet come home these three years to take over the running of the state and her younger brother, Aubrey, who is preparing for Cambridge, has a diseased hip and n

• Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • Elyza
  • The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1)
  • Indiscretion
  • Sauce for the Gander (The Marstone Series Book 1)
  • Winter Wedding
  • Cadenza (Rockliffe, #6)
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • Georgette Heyer
  • Imprudent Lady
  • The Player (Rockliffe, #3)
  • Hazard (Rockliffe, #5)
  • The Mésalliance (Rockliffe, #2)
  • The Wicked Cousin (Rockcliffe, #4)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • An Accomplished Woman
  • A Little Folly
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance
“As soon as one promises not to do something, it becomes the one thing above all others that one most wishes to do.” 1701 likes
“There is nothing so mortifying as to fall in love with someone who does not share one's sentiments.” 298 likes