Start by marking “West of Wawa” as Want to Read:
West of Wawa

West of Wawa

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Fiction. Emotionally battered and bruised, 29-year-old Australian immigrant Benny is looking for escape, not redemption. Escape from herself and the dismal failures of her life: her first solo art exhibition is panned by critics and her husband left her for an Andy Warhol look-alike. Isolated from her family, her career as an abstract artist in ruins, she comes to Canada a ...more
Published September 30th 2011 by Inanna Publications & Education

To ask other readers questions about West of Wawa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about West of Wawa

Donna Brown
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Benny is getting close to her 30th birthday and needs to decide what to do with her life. Before she can make such a momentous decision, she makes a rather impetuous one and decides to take a road trip across Canada. Think less jet set lifestyle, jumbo jets and the high life and more Greyhound buses, junk food and chai lattes. However, there’s more to this trip than champagne and roses: this is a chance for Benny to find herself and, hopefully, find her future.

I loved Benny as a character. She i
Lauren
I got this in a package bundle with The Witchdoctor's Bones through Goodreads First Reads. It was actually a bit of a surprise, since I'd only been expecting one book. I will say this though, I much perfered the other story to this one, although, looking back, they're quite similar in some ways. I suppose I'll leave that for other readers to decide though; it could just be me.

In terms of the quantity of characters, I can definitely say I enjoyed this smaller case infinitely more than the last bo
Beatrix
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I can’t quite concur with the book cover’s promise of “A funny, moving journey towards self-realization” but it was definitely a fun read for me.

The book follows Benny, a 29 year old Australian women, as she arrives in Toronto and then decides to travel across Canada. She is at a crossroads in her life and needs to find out what she wants to do with her future, a future that was once full of promise of love and artistic success and now seems rather uncertain if not disappointing to her.

While Lis
Rosemary McCracken
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lisa de Nikolits takes us on an unforgettable road trip in her second novel, West of Wawa. Fueled by bitterness and anger, 29-year-old Benny leaves her home in Sydney, Australia, and heads across the world to Canada. She’s hell-bent on escape. She leaves a failed art career, a broken marriage and everyone she knows. In St. John’s, Nfld., she hauls her backpack filled with codeine, Valium and Southern Comfort onto a Greyhound bus and sets out into the great Canadian unknown.
De Nikolits has a way
Inga
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
My review:

West of Wawa was an interesting read. It was well written, I truly enjoyed the writing style and the language what was used for storytelling. West of Wawa is definitely worth of reading, especially if you like road novels.

Regarding the plot:

The novel is so much more than just a road trip. You meet Benny, a woman is very close to getting 30 years old and the book takes you to Benny's trip to finding out who she really is. After an unsuccessful relationship Australian woman called Benny
Cathy Hall
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
West of Wawa follows Benny, a young woman on the brink of turning 30, who’s suddenly found herself floundering. A series of catastrophic events relating to her career and home life rock her to the core of who she is, and so she leaves Sydney, Australia and heads to Canada. There she begins a cross-country journey, mostly to hide from her past, her family, and herself. But eventually, she begins to seek again and through her myriad adventures, finds her way out of the ashes of her old life to beg ...more
James Fisher
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Since Lisa sent me this book to review, I am hesitant to say anything bad about it,but I thought the story was going to be different, somehow. I was under the impression that this novel was about a woman's journey across Canada to 'find herself' and that the subject matter would be deeper, so to speak. Instead, this is straight up Chick Lit (not that there is anything wrong with that), but I found it (as a male) difficult to read. This is not a misogynist statement; I would have found it so even ...more
Cumberland Public Libraries
Ever wanted to travel across Canada? That’s what Benny decides will rid her of the ghosts in her life. Benny is 29, Australian with a failed marriage and art career and some bad habits she’s picked up along the way. Follow Benny from province to province and hostel to hostel as she tries to come to terms with her life. See what she discovers both east and West of Wawa.
Recommended by Dianna, Four Fathers Memorial Library, Amherst
Mandy Eve-Barnett
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not only a geographical journey but also a personal one. This book engages, excites and thrills all at the same time. Lisa manages to create a well rounded character in Benny, with flaws that are real & perceived. Her 'journey' will stay with you long after you turn the last page.

I highly recommend this book.
Margaret
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a book I picked up at the Ontario Library Association Conference. I should have left it there. It meandered on and on. The story unfolds during a run- away bus trip across Canada. A woman is fleeing a failed art show and a bad marriage. In her escape she is heavily into drugs, overwork and bad men.
Lizette Carlson
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
So close to home ... way up north ... Canadian soil!
Susan
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada
A fascinating story about a young woman who is determined to change her lifestyle while travelling and working across Canada.
Jen Morrison
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Liked the book, didn't enjoy the cheesy subtitles
Kim Wyant
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun, quirky, thought provoking story. Very hard to put down.
Lora
Jul 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Although well-written, this book's protagonist was a little too dysfunctional for my taste, and her journey to a better place is not very believable.
Claire Doran
Laura Sosnow
May 04, 2013
Marigold
Aug 08, 2015
Lisa de Nikolits is the author seven novels;

7. No Fury Like That, a murder mystery with excellent reviews by Metroland Media and high profile international crime writers.

6. The Nearly Girl has just been released to rave reviews by magazines, literary journals and readers.

5. Between The Cracks She Fell was released in August of 2015 and received excellent reviews in magazines as well as literary
More about Lisa de Nikolits...