Start by marking “The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  24,476 Ratings  ·  2,281 Reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bitter Kingdom, please sign up.

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,520 books — 10,952 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,506 books — 12,395 voters

More lists with this book...

Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo
Katie
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col
Khanh (the Grinch)
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t ...more
Aimee
Sep 21, 2012 Aimee rated it it was amazing
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the
Norah Una Sumner
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”

description

This trilogy definitely holds a special place in my heart.The characters are so wonderful,especially Elisa who develops so much as a character and Hector who shows us what an unconditional love is.I've never been prouder of a book character before as much a
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
**4.5 Stars**

A fantastic ending to an amazing trilogy. Elisa's character development was phenomenal. She started out as this character with so much self doubt and fear and ended with so much confidence and bravery. Elisa is one of my favorite female heroines of all time.

I had to take away 1/2 a star because I probably should have read this sooner. It took me a little longer to reconnect with the story and the characters, but once I did I was just so engrossed.

Also, I was just freaking swooning
Nastassja
Dec 16, 2015 Nastassja rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone

“I am queen of Joya d’Arena and bearer of a living Godstone. I kneel to no one.”

Final books are always the hardest for me to write about. It is the end, and I know that there wouldn't be any sequels and things will stay the way they ended. At some point I am relieved how everything ended but some resolutions left me disappointed.

The plot. The crown of embers ended with Elisa and Co on the run. They must save Hector, find out the truth about Godstones, and then Elisa must again prove to be the ru

Liz
Feb 15, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it

Usual heroine:
"You steal the man I love? Well, I'm going to cry in the corner for half a book, feel sorry for myself and then just do my best and try to get to you while being stupid once in a while to make the book exciting."
Elisa:
"You steal the man I love? Ha! I will first get a backup plan for my kingdom and then follow you saving lives, yours included, being totally badass, relying on the intelligence of my beloved, and acting like a true warrior."

Seriously though. When everything is ta
Shannon (leaninglights)
Heartfelt and sweet ending to this series. I had a lot of fun marathoning it this week :)
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
9/2/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this up to 5 stars. The relationship is perfection. Elisa has come so far from the shrinking violet we met in the first book, and it's awesome to see an overweight character a) get a happy and loving relationship with a guy who thinks she's perfect as she is, b) lose weight through running all over the continent as part of her story, but still talk about how her thighs rub together when she walks and how her arms are chubby and how her legs are now muscly but not s
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,
Marija Jesretic
Jan 15, 2013 Marija Jesretic rated it really liked it
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Maria Angelica
Mar 11, 2015 Maria Angelica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav2015, tenho, lido-2015
Definitivamente uma das melhores séries que eu já li até hoje. A parte fantástica não é a melhor de todas, mas a protagonista é maravilhosa!! Ela se desenvolve de uma forma crível e no final você fica desejando ter a metade do autoconhecimento, perseverança e inteligência que ela tem.
O romance é uma parte pequena da série, mas é o mais equilibrado e bonito que eu já li em um livro de YA. Os dois se respeitam como pessoas e amantes. Não nada daquele esquema "preciso te proteger", "morrerei sem vo
Kelly
Jul 07, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I'm a good leader, but you're a great ruler. I am strong enough-man enough-to be subject to you.

I know that it took me long to finally finish this amazing trilogy but I don't regret it one bit. It's always such bitter sweet sorrow for me when reading the final in a Fantastic read. All the characters we great. I will especially miss Storm, Elisa and Hector. These three specifically made this read a roll coaster of gratifying pleasure.

I love Carson's style of writing and the lead heroine Elisa wa
Eilonwy

After a bit of dragginess in the middle, this book redeemed itself with a worthy confrontation with the villain, and a perfect character arc and body-acceptance arc for Elisa. This is definitely one of my favorite trilogies.
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (s
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w
Jodi Meadows
Jul 10, 2011 Jodi Meadows rated it it was amazing
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
nick

There’s so much I want to say about this series because for two weeks it’s all I lived and breathed, and honestly, my review is not going to do it any justice. It’s been a while since I’ve been so thoroughly enthralled with a series, and I’m so happy I gave the Fire & Thorns books a try because this series is going down as one of my top 5 favorite trilogies. Everything about these books was pure perfection from start to finish. In fact, I thought these books only got better and better as the
Ash Wednesday
Nov 27, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 Stars

Magically enchanting, and wonderfully addicting, THE BITTER KINGDOM delivers an explosive conclusion that will leave you breathless and yearning for more!!! From it's rich lure of fantasy blend, and it's thickened plot, to it's breathtakingly hypnotic romance, and non-stop action and adventure, and magical background that solidifies this series to it's fullest. THE BITTER KINGDOM was one hell of a finale that I am utterly satisfied with, but drastically needing more...

I am speechless af
Samantha
Jul 07, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ya and Ashlee

When I first picked up this series, I was a little skeptical. You see, I'm not a very religious person, and by "very" I mean "not at all". The Girl of Fire and Thorns kind of threw me with all the religious references and God talk. I think that's why it took me so long to pick up Book 2. But let me tell you, once I did, I was hooked.

Which brings us to Bitter Kingdom. I've read quite a few series when the third book was a complete letdown. This is not the case here. I thought Bitter Kingdom brou
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
What a great series...I honestly didn't think I would this in the beginning but I was pleasantly surprised with how this series turned out!

Even though it is tagged as YA ---- this book is great for all age groups!
Ashley
Dec 28, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, young-adult, owned
This has easily become one of my favorite series of all time, and this concluding novel did not disappoint.
Elena
Jan 31, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing
4.5

Amazing conclusion to an amazing trilogy ! Highly recommending this!
Cinda
Feb 19, 2013 Cinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, ohio-authors
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Lucia
Sep 01, 2015 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars-read, ya
SERIES RATING AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:
Book 1: The Girl of Fire and Thorns - 4 STARS
Book 2: The Crown of Embers - 5 STARS
Book 3: The Bitter Kingdom - 5 STARS

How to sum up this trilogy? The Girl of Fire and Thorn has rich world-building, adventurous atmosphere and remarkable character development. Author also has great storytelling skills. It is so nice to have in detail planned out plot without any plot holes or disruptions of the flow of the story. To be honest, writing and story wise I have
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Overall a good conclusion to the trilogy.

After all of the excitement in The Crown of Embers, The Bitter Kingdom felt a little anticlimactic. Or maybe it felt rushed. A lot happens in this book; the fact that it's been split into four sections is telling.

In the first section, Elisa, Storm, Mara, and Belen begin their rescue mission, traveling toward Invierne. I can't say much about the second and third sections without spoilers, but the fourth section is the inevitable journey back to Joye D'Ar
100+ Books in 2017: Annemarie's Books for 2014 1 9 Oct 26, 2014 08:53AM
David Estes Fans ...: The Bitter Kingdom Buddy Read 16 21 Jul 01, 2014 01:44AM
The Bitter Kingdom 11 63 Jun 09, 2014 05:34AM
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
I write books about teens who must do brave things. I'm originally from California, but I now live in Arizona with my husband, who is the smartest and therefore sexiest man I know. My books tend to contain lots of adventure, a little magic and romance, and smart girls who make (mostly) smart choices. I especially love to write about questions I don't know the answers to.
More about Rae Carson...

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 239 likes
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
She nods. "Hector’s mouth is going to drop open when he sees you.”
“I hope so. But I meant me. I’m beautiful to me.”
117 likes