Start by marking “The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  30,052 Ratings  ·  2,565 Reviews
The champion must not waver.
The champion must not fear.
The gate of darkness closes.

Elisa is a fugitive.

Her enemies have stolen the man she loves, and they await her at the gate of darkness. Her country is on the brink of civil war, with her own soldiers ordered to kill her on sight.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Lucero-Elisa né Riqueza de Vega, bearer of the Godstone, will lead
Published August 27th 2013 by Greenwillow Books (first published April 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bitter Kingdom, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brie It was called a Deathstalker
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,049 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,500 books — 12,336 voters

More lists with this book...

Keertana
Goddamn. Rae Carson, you are a genius. A genius among geniuses. If you only promise to write books that are this good in the future, I will raise a pedestal in your honor. No joke.

The Bitter Kingdom is damn near perfect. Hell, it probably is perfect but since I'm too blinded by the perfection that is Hector, I'm unable to call anything else perfect in comparison to him. *swoons*

Top 5 Reasons To Read The Bitter Kingdom. (In case you needed any convincing...which you HOPEFULLY don't because if yo
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book, while technically perfect and a highly enjoyable read---fell a bit short of my expectations. I've enjoyed the other books in the series, but I don't know...I can't exactly pinpoint it, but this book just didn't leave me completely satisfied; it just feels like I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. I said it was technically perfect, and I meant it. The writing is great, the plot is quick-paced, and action-filled; character development was well-done. It does have its faults, but t ...more
Katie
HECTOR!!!!

Hector has quickly become one of my favorite YA book boys. I'm not even sure what's so swoony about him, besides the fact that he's marvelous. If you've read the books, you know. You just know. Once he shaved that moustache, it was one big swoonfest every time he stepped into the scene.

I also really loved the new setting in this book! Girl of Fire and Thorns had a desert feel to it, and Crown of Embers had more of a tropical thing going on. But Bitter Kingdom is definitely set in a col
Jeff
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
you know what?

I like Hector.
Norah Una Sumner
“You look beautiful," Alodia says.
I startle at the compliment. Then I smile. "I’m beautiful to the one person who matters."

description

This trilogy definitely holds a special place in my heart.The characters are so wonderful,especially Elisa who develops so much as a character and Hector who shows us what an unconditional love is.I've never been prouder of a book character before as much a
Aimee
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book. This series. Wow. There are few books that have left me waiting anxiously for what seems like a long time to not end in disappointment. I couldn't imagine, when I started this book, how it would all turn out. I speculated and dreamed up my own ending while waiting to get my hands on this and for once, the book was so much better than anything I could dream up on my own.

Very rarely do books like these end in a way that I thought was just darn perfect. Usually there is something in the
Liz
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

Usual heroine:
"You steal the man I love? Well, I'm going to cry in the corner for half a book, feel sorry for myself and then just do my best and try to get to you while being stupid once in a while to make the book exciting."
Elisa:
"You steal the man I love? Ha! I will first get a backup plan for my kingdom and then follow you saving lives, yours included, being totally badass, relying on the intelligence of my beloved, and acting like a true warrior."

Seriously though. When everything is ta
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
**4.5 Stars**

A fantastic ending to an amazing trilogy. Elisa's character development was phenomenal. She started out as this character with so much self doubt and fear and ended with so much confidence and bravery. Elisa is one of my favorite female heroines of all time.

I had to take away 1/2 a star because I probably should have read this sooner. It took me a little longer to reconnect with the story and the characters, but once I did I was just so engrossed.

Also, I was just freaking swooning
Nastassja
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone

“I am queen of Joya d’Arena and bearer of a living Godstone. I kneel to no one.”

Final books are always the hardest for me to write about. It is the end, and I know that there wouldn't be any sequels and things will stay the way they ended. At some point I am relieved how everything ended but some resolutions left me disappointed.

The plot. The crown of embers ended with Elisa and Co on the run. They must save Hector, find out the truth about Godstones, and then Elisa must again prove to be the ru

Deborah
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the third and final book in this series and for me the best one so far. It’s true that I’ve had a bit of a bumpy ride at times but overall I’ve really enjoyed this series.

I had several issues especially with the first book but despite the problems this series has turned out to be addictive reading. I found I just couldn’t put it down.

There’s already loads of great reviews so I’m keeping mine short and sweet.

The fact is I’ve not been very generous with my ratings because things bothered
K.
9/2/2017
On reread, I'm bumping this up to 5 stars. The relationship is perfection. Elisa has come so far from the shrinking violet we met in the first book, and it's awesome to see an overweight character a) get a happy and loving relationship with a guy who thinks she's perfect as she is, b) lose weight through running all over the continent as part of her story, but still talk about how her thighs rub together when she walks and how her arms are chubby and how her legs are now muscly but not s
Sara
I need this book like Bella needs Edward; in a totally inappropriate, co-dependent and life-consuming way.

2013... I want more of my Hector now.

After reading

4.5 stars. Incredible.
Shannon (leaninglights)
Heartfelt and sweet ending to this series. I had a lot of fun marathoning it this week :)
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
A trilogy that started with superb worldbuilding and atypical characters in The Girl of Fire and Thorns and continued with court intrigue and an epic love story in The Crown and Embers deserved no less than a stellar conclusion. It was with no small amount of trepidation that I picked up Bitter Kingdom into my shaking hands, afraid but eager to learn Elisa and Hector’s fate.
In Crown of Embers, we left Elisa and Hector in a dreadful situation, apart and with far too many obstacles between them,
Kells Next Read
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm a good leader, but you're a great ruler. I am strong enough-man enough-to be subject to you.

I know that it took me long to finally finish this amazing trilogy but I don't regret it one bit. It's always such bitter sweet sorrow for me when reading the final in a Fantastic read. All the characters we great. I will especially miss Storm, Elisa and Hector. These three specifically made this read a roll coaster of gratifying pleasure.

I love Carson's style of writing and the lead heroine Elisa wa
Marija Jesretic
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just finished #2 and oh.my...GLOOOOB! ; ___ ; HECTOOOOOR, OUR LOVE! When everything was getting SO GOOD. Oh, Rae Carson, you know how to push all of our buttons. Thank you much!
Who's the damsel in destress now? ;D
Hollis
I mean, what do you expect? I love this series with a fiery passion. Of course it gets a five. But it gets that five because this finale is so much of what YA fantasy isn't. It is unique, remarkable, exceptional, and the character growth, the journeys, are all so realistic and wonderful. And the romaaaaance. Don't even get me started.

I'm not sure this one sucked me in as much as the other audiobooks but that is definitely my fault as I found myself distracted, and rewinding, constantly. Again, m
Maria Angelica
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav2015, tenho, lido-2015
Definitivamente uma das melhores séries que eu já li até hoje. A parte fantástica não é a melhor de todas, mas a protagonista é maravilhosa!! Ela se desenvolve de uma forma crível e no final você fica desejando ter a metade do autoconhecimento, perseverança e inteligência que ela tem.
O romance é uma parte pequena da série, mas é o mais equilibrado e bonito que eu já li em um livro de YA. Os dois se respeitam como pessoas e amantes. Não nada daquele esquema "preciso te proteger", "morrerei sem vo
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)

description

When I started Fire and Thorns I definitely did not expect it to become one of my favourite high fantasy series of all time, and yet here I am absolutely loving it.
The first book was enjoyable enough, it was the second two instalments that made me fall in lo
Eilonwy

After a bit of dragginess in the middle, this book redeemed itself with a worthy confrontation with the villain, and a perfect character arc and body-acceptance arc for Elisa. This is definitely one of my favorite trilogies.
Jodi Meadows
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dear commas.

This book.

THIS BOOK.

Please note the shelf placement. That's very important.
Angelica
Before Reading:

This book can not come out any sooner can it? I NEED IT LIKE A DROWINGNG MAN NEEDS AIR! (You all know where I got that from.) I've got to wait till August?!?!?!

After Reading:

“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away or ignore it or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.”

This is a very “quick” and horrible a review because I have procrastinated and I never want to right a review after I’ve read another book (s
Ferdy
3.5 stars - Spoilers

-Mostly enjoyed it, the action, characters and romance kept me hooked. However, I was disappointed that the majority of The Bitter Kingdom was basically a long journey - I hate it when a story mainly consists of a journey, I don't find it imaginative or particularly entertaining.

-One of the best aspects of the series was the character growth of the heroine, Elisa. She started off fat and useless and transformed into a confident leader. It was refreshing to read a YA heroine w
Alaina Meserole
This book was so good!

I think this was my favorite out of the whole series - maybe. I loved Elisa throughout the whole book and how she just grew more into her own character. I loved all of the friends she made along the journey too. Honestly, they were hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing so much that I was starting to cry. I seriously loved Storm throughout this book too and I was just wanting him and Elisa to get together throughout the entire book - screw Hector!

Ugh! Speaking of Hector, h
Ash Wednesday
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of lazurs and pew-pew
4 STARS
I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we're imagining it. Because it's the most painful kind of hope there is. It can be ripped away so easily. By indifference. By death.

Well that was certainly exhausting.

Two things that this book is not but should be: a videogame (in the Final Fantasy tradition) and the finale of a six or seven book series.

Unlike in Crown of Embers where I found the climax a bit of a head-scratcher and the build up to
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

5 Stars

Magically enchanting, and wonderfully addicting, THE BITTER KINGDOM delivers an explosive conclusion that will leave you breathless and yearning for more!!! From it's rich lure of fantasy blend, and it's thickened plot, to it's breathtakingly hypnotic romance, and non-stop action and adventure, and magical background that solidifies this series to it's fullest. THE BITTER KINGDOM was one hell of a finale that I am utterly satisfied with, but drastically needing more...

I am speechless af
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
What a great series...I honestly didn't think I would this in the beginning but I was pleasantly surprised with how this series turned out!

Even though it is tagged as YA ---- this book is great for all age groups!
Elena
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Amazing conclusion to an amazing trilogy ! Highly recommending this!
Cinda
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, ohio-authors
Fantastic ending to a fabulous trilogy. I just love Hector being awesome...
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
"It was not perfection, but it was perfect"

Elisa may not have been talking about this book, but it is fitting nonetheless.
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • Taste of Darkness (Healer, #3)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave
More about Rae Carson

Fire and Thorns (3 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“I think sometimes when we find love we pretend it away, or ignore it, or tell ourselves we’re imagining it. Because it is the most painful kind of hope there is.” 263 likes
136 likes