Start by marking “Girl 4” as Want to Read:
Girl 4

Girl 4

(January David #1)

Detective Inspector January David has always put his professional before his private life, but the two worlds are about to clash horrifically as he visits his latest crime scene. He is confronted by a lifeless figure suspended ten feet above a theatre stage, blood pouring from her face into a coffin below. This gruesome execution is the work of an elusive serial killer.

Published May 12th 2011 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about Girl 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl 4

Start your review of Girl 4
Miriam Smith
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I love about a serial killer story is contained in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and found it easy to follow and extremely hard to put down.
Although very much an adult book and not for the faint hearted or easily offended, this has been excellently written of which I've never seen the likes of before. Told from the viewpoints of the victims, killer and main protagonist DI January David, before, during and after death, this had a very unique way of storytelling involving p
Gatorman
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is one heck of a ride. Carver tells the tale of a serial killer on the loose from multiple perspectives, including victims after they have been killed. This makes for a fascinating narrative, carried off in high style due to Carver's wicked writing skills. The story is fast-paced with quick, biting chapters, veering off in a direction towards the end that you don't expect, with more than an echo of (view spoiler). In the hands of a lesser writer, the ending ...more
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Okay, I read this one, well audio-booked it, after I read the second one, The Two. The things I liked about that one, mostly apply to this one where it comes to style and organization.

This book reminds me more of the movie "Momento" than it does a traditional crime story. It's written in First Person, Present Tense and, it's the first book writen interely in that POV-Tense that I have liked, (not counting "The Two" that is.) It starts in the middle rather than at either end, and, since all life
Louise
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason that I have decided to write a review is because as well as really enjoying this book it is such a different way of writing a thriller that I felt it was worth a mention.

Grisly murders are happening in London and January David is the oficer in charge. It is up to him and his unusual talents to find the killer.
The story is told in many different voices, The author tells the story and writes about David but the killer and the victims also speak and tell their story before and after the
Marc 'sparky'
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowza - When can I get my hands on The Two??

This is not your average, run of the mill thriller. It is also not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. My word is it good though. I finished the book in a couple of sittings (someone with a reading age higher than a 5 year old could probably have done it quicker.)

It's all well and good thinking of an interesting way to tell a story but that isn't enough on it's own. The story has to have the substance to back it up and in my opinion, this one mo
John
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Girl 4 drove me mad. He solves the case because of prophetic dreams, magic in other words. Then there was the way all the victims described how they got to their sorry points and died. The whole police investigation also looked hinky. I have no idea how a real police investigation runs but this just didn’t feel right. Cool idea for a book plot mind, but Will Carver did not do it justice.
I won’t be reading the second book and only read this one all the way thru because I paid for it. I was so pl
Janet
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a psychological, serial killer, thriller fest that I liked, I liked a lot!

A couple of chapters in and I knew why. This reminded me of a great BBC drama a few years back called Messiah with the great actor that is Ken Stott. But before anyone panics, let me assure you there is no religious connection here, not at all, breathe!!

No, I mean about the way the bodies were staged, the thought process behind it, the length of time it took, practically gave me goosebumps!

Each chapter is wri
Liz Barnsley
A first outing for Detective Inspector January David, this bodes well for a brilliant new series in the world of, what I call, Crime Fiction Plus. January is investigating a serial killer, and 3 victims in, there are no clues and the killings just stop. Then comes Girl 4..someone January knows. Well he should do...its his wife. And she is still alive. Told from the point of view of January, the Killer and also his victims, this is a terrific "serial killer thriller" with just a touch of a supern ...more
Helen
Extremely well-done serial killer novel, and a bit of a study in the inner narcissism of deluded murderers. The shifting perspectives from detective, to killer to victims was a bit strange at first, but actually works very well and really heightens the tension. The reader is lead up plenty of blind alleys, and always kept off-balance, and some of Detective David's dream-sequences have a decidedly off-kilter quality about them.
And I absolutely did not see what was coming towards the end. Well wo
Vertiqa
Came across this while googling another book. The positive reviews and twist at the end is enough to capture my attention hoping it would be another book which would 'wow' me.

I didn't really know how to put this book. I felt overwhelmed and exhausted after I had finished it. It somehow managed to creep me out, messes with me mentally therefore living up to being a psychological thriller. I have read other books which contains more graphic violence and gore than this but still this book somehow m
Emily Wrayburn
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, audio-book
Review originally published on A Keyboard and an Open Mind November 28, 2016:

This was a really enjoyable thriller, and I enjoyed sinking my teeth into something dark again.

Detective January David is called to a murder scene, the fourth by a serial killer terrorising London, and finds that he recognises the victim, and that she is actually still alive… As the novel progresses, we hear from not only January, his wife, the murderer and the other murder victims as January races to try to prevent the
Luca
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

But Girl 4 is different: she is alive – barely. And January recognises her…

Girl 4 is the debut novel from Will Carver. Told fro
Siany
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I found that I couldnt put this book down...but I didnt love it.
I think I just wanted to finish it to see what was happening and how the bad guy was going to be found out.
I have to say though, I was not expecting the twist at the end and this was what made my mind up for me. I loved the twist, I didn't see it coming and I couldnt wait to read more.

None of the characters jumped out at me as likeable and the way the writer jumped from person to person got a bit confusing at times. I would have
Andrew
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well where to start - this is a new author to me - and to be honest he is a new author full stop with only a few titles published to his name but do not let that fool you. He is very talented - and he needs to be this a very grand book. The story is pretty straight forward (at least as you think it is) although the manner in which it is told and the few plot twists certainly make it very entertaining and challenging at the same time. The way the narrative is broken up and then told in different ...more
Bruce Hatton
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-crime
A strange little book, which I initially thought I'd quite like, but one which became increasingly disappointing the more I progressed into it. A hunt for a serial killer which is told in the unusual, although hardly original, format of short chapters with alternating narrators - the lead detective (who has the strange name January David), the killer Eames and the various victims.
Alas, the whole thing soon descends into mumbo-jumbo land. David (who is haunted by the childhood abduction of his yo
Beth
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is utter brilliance.

The author draws you in and you become part of the story. You hear the murders, the detectives and the victim’s point of view however unlike other books you don’t get the full story till the very end. Without giving too much away – you have no idea what to expect. I will hold my hands up and say I was going off crime books but this has changed my mind. It’s his first ever book and I pray it’s not his last. Excellent novel!

Its gets a bit confusing for a bit in the
Francesca Scopelliti
This may sound cliche, but this book was a poorer version Gone Girl. It had a lot of the same elements, but could not orchestrate the storyline without going off on tangents that's made it hard to want to continue reading it. The supernatural meets mystery elements was a good try, but it just ended up being two storylines lines happening in one book that were very foreign to one another.

Regardless, I had a few moments were I was emerged in this book and moments when I couldn't wait to finish. I
Vivienne
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I rarely re-read crime novels but this one, given the complexity of the narrative, seemed to warrant it before moving on to read Carver's latest in the series, Dead Set, especially as it is clear from the synopsis and teaser short ebook that it will be continuing the case featured here. It proved as good the second time around even though I was aware of the ending.

Palesa Ntsiu
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*****Amazing Book!!
this book had me from page one, the twists and turns i couldn't keep up (in a good way) i was intrigued and the style of writing is very unique. i love how we meet the killer very early on, how i connected with the main characters, and the victim is actually not a victim. loved it!!
Rynne
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished 345 pages in one go as fast as I can before I changed my mind and flip to the final chapter just to know what is the ending. The next thing I knew it's already 3.00am, I can pretty much say this is an interesting book to keep me up this late, a bit (quite) disturbing but very addictive.
Best Crime Books & More
How can a book you didn’t want to put down annoy you just as much? I am still somewhat confused as to how I felt about this book. Having said that, this is the first in the series and as I have learnt with other authors sometimes you just need to go with the flow. No doubt Will Carver has a plan for January David and I am hoping that as time goes on I will understand a bit more.

January David has a name you certainly won’t forget, but his personality seems a bit mixed in this book. He is a good
Rebecca Bradley
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Product description

Three women from three different London suburbs, each murdered with elaborate and chilling precision. And as
Sid Nuncius
The quality of the writing and the fresh approach to the story's structure meant that I enjoyed the first two-thirds of this book in spite of myself. It is the story of a detective in pursuit of a serial killer, narrated in short chapters cutting between the voices of the detective, the killer and the victims (who are dead by the time they are speaking to us). Against my expectations, I liked this and found the character sketches of the victims in particular very convincing.

However, at bottom th
Nancy
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This is weird, rated it 3 stars - I liked it - but did not want to finish it -but had to. Does that make sense? It is a book I really like (5 stars) but it takes you into the mind of the killer and (most sadly) his victims. A lot of the dialog is the thought of his victims. Written so well it makes your heart bleed with sorrow for them. And, it makes you feel as if you could be a victim that is being watched/stalked. I am in a quandary as to what to give this ..... Five stars all around - but th ...more
Jo
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't think I was going to like this book because of the way it's set out which I thought was going to prove too confusing. Each chapter is told from the POV of a different character so it alternates between the lead detective, the serial killer and the victims. Great to see a change from the usual styles in this genre and the twist at the end was one I didn't see coming which I am glad about as they're usually so obvious I know what's going to happen. Looking forward to reading more ...more
Fiona
A really interesting novel - with a twist at the end that was really well done.

Throughout the book we see these killings from multiple viewpoints, allowing us a full view of what is going on; and yet, as I discovered, not at all revealing the truth.

While I enjoyed the overall story, I did find the frequency of the switches and the very short chapters didn't leave me enough time to really emotionally invest in any character in particular. With a book like this it's somehow better if it's devastat
Plum-crazy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good gripping read with an intriguing format in that you get the story from DI January David, his wife, the killer & each of his victims, I thought at first it might be a bit confusing but it worked really well.

The conclusion did leave me with a few unanswered questions especially regarding The Smiling Man, never mind the state of his marriage! This ending left me thankful that the follow-up "The 2" was sat on my TBR mountain waiting to be read. Sadly I read "Girl 4" back in 2012 & whi
Evelyn*My Redeemer*
I really enjoyed this book, the writing is brilliant and reading it from the first persons account of detail is so, so, so different and had me on the edge of my seat. This is exactly what I had been wanting, a book with a plot that kept me gripped. Thank god I have the second book "The Two" sitting next to me just now! Really should finish the housework but I think I will have a sneaky half hour just to start next book ;-)
Zoe Hickey
Took me a little while to get into this book but it really keeps you asking questions when it gets going. A gripping serial killer book about Detective January who is investigating a series of murders, trying to figure out who and why they are killing. But Girl 4 is different, she is January’s wife and she had not been killed...
Nina
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow very intense, felt very real - gripping and frightning at the same time. I really love thrillers/suspense, but this was something else. I don't get scared easily by a book but I was scared allright. Can't wait to read the second book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Minders
  • Watching from the Dark (DCI Jonah Sheens, #2)
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Where the Dead Go
  • White Lies and Wishes
  • Midnight Son
  • The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope, #9)
  • Deadly Waters
  • His & Hers
  • The House Guest
  • The Push
  • Ralph's Party (Ralph's Party #1)
  • No One's Home
  • Nullpunkt (Alexander Blix & Emma Ramm, #1)
  • Two for Joy (Isabel Fielding, #2)
  • Highfire

January David (3 books)
  • The Two (January David #2)
  • Dead Set (January David #3)