Start by marking “Ace: The Very Important Pig” as Want to Read:
Ace: The Very Important Pig

Ace: The Very Important Pig

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  440 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Meet Ace, Babe's great-grandson, who also gets a new cover from Knopf Paperbacks this season. "
A Horn Book Fanfare Honor Book
An IRA/CBC Children's Choice
A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.
Published March 10th 1992 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ace

Lisa Bland
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young pig called Ace living on a farm with Farmer Tubbs. Ace gets his name from the birth mark on his left hand side which looks like an ace of clubs.
Ace discovers from very young that he is able to understand the Queens English as well as communicating with the other animals living on the farm. Farmer Tubbs realises that Ace is no ordinary pig and is different from the rest of the animals because he can see that Ace understands him. They become very fond of each other and
Ice Bear
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I read this to my daughter, and she bought me a copy to read to my grandson. It's good to know that reading can pass down the generations.
Ashleigh Cutler
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I actually enjoyed "Ace" more than "Babe", though the book at least hints that Babe was an ancestor of Ace. The characters were more amusing, the overall plot, or lack there off - as it is a borderline slice of life tale - more entertaining.
Maximilian Lee
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because I like dogs and pigs getting along with each other. In also liked this book because I like pork.
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sometimes, if one is lucky, the elements that mixed together to produce greatness in a genetic ascendant can work the same kind of magic in one's own life. For Ace, great-grandson of the renowned sheep-pig Babe, this is exactly what happens.

Ace, unlike all of his brothers and sisters on the farm where he is raised, can understand human speech right from birth. When Farmer Tubbs absent-mindedly speaks to Ace, the pig listens and is able to comprehend the meaning of his words, and before long Tu
Indah Threez Lestari
74 - 2017

Well, ternyata Ace cucu buyut-nya Babe!
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ace, seekor babi yang mengerti bahasa manusia. Awalnya Ace mengira semua hewan mengerti ucapan Farmer Tubbs, namun ternyata hanya dia yang mengerti apa yang diucapkan manusia pemilik peternakan itu. Maka Ace mulai berkomunikasi dengan Farmer Tubbs. Jika dia mengorok sekali, itu artinya 'tidak'. Jika dia mengorok dua kali, itu artinya 'iya". Ace pun melatih Farmer Tubbs untuk mengerti apa yang dia inginkan. Termasuk melengkingkan suaranya yang ebrarti dia mau makan. Yup, bukan Farmer yang melatih ...more
Laura Verret
Ace doesn’t want to leave the happy farm with the rest of his siblings. He wants to stay home. So, when Farmer Tubbs asks him if he wants to go to market, Ace replies with a single grunt – that means no. None of the other animals know quite what to think when Ace tells them that he can understand human speech and that he’s developed a yes-and-no system to reply to them, but since Ace is a sweet young pig, they make friends with him. All of them except Megan.

Megan, the Corgi, considers herself to
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Published seven years after The Sheep Pig, it's very much Babe Mark II; the sheep pig even gets a mention as his great-grandfather. Anyone who has seen the movie recognises the scene between Babe--oh, excuse me, Ace--and his mother, where she talks about the market as a sort of day at the seaside.

Ace can understand every word his human owner says; how he picked up the talent is never explained, since we are repeatedly told that none of the other animals recognise more than a word or two. He deci
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
After reading the Wind and the Willows Cam (4 years old) and I went to the library to see if the librarian had recommendations for similar chapter books that we could read (a chapter a night). It couldn't be too scary and talking animals seemed to be a hit. This book was the first recommendation. Cam seemed to like it especially when I did silly voices for farmer Tubs. But, when we finished earlier tonight he didn't immediately ask me to read it again like he did for the Wind and the Willows. So ...more
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
From memory, this was almost like a sequel, or at least set in the same world as The Sheep Pig. Dick King-Smith must have had a real affinity for animals, and liked pigs in particular. It has been a VERY long time since I last read this, but I still have a copy. I'll have to read it again and refresh my memory!
Joy Boyz
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
We loved it. I could've done without the part about the pig drinking beer, I edited it to cider. Dick King-Smith is proving to be right up there with Roald Dahl with my boys. They love his stories!
Soobie can't sleep at night
A dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bellissimo libro. Asso, il settimo dei maialini di un fattore e a questi sembra il più intelligente così non lo manda al mercato e lo tiene. Così Asso rimane alla fattoria, dove incontra Nanny, una pecora. Poi arriva la celebrità.
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-my-books
A very sweet, gentle and beautifully written story about a highly intelligent pig who becomes a cherished member of a farmer's family. Ace's relationships with the resident cat, dog and goat are delightful reading, as is his misadventure at the local pub.
Alex Cruse
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was in elementary school and I loved it. I had not picked it up again until now. Still a charming and engaging read about an extraordinary pig. Ace is smart and loves to watch television...I think I connected with this as a kid and I still do lol.
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio book and enjoyed it. It's a sort of sequel to "Babe." Ace is a descendant of Babe, but he is special in a different way. My favorite part of the book is the Welsh Corgi, who thinks of herself as royalty because the Queen owns corgis.
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very sweet book, funny, nice dialogue, reminiscent of Charlotte's Web, but without the drama and scary bits. Had to explain some of the British idioms and the pig does get drunk on beer once and enjoys alcohol later in moderation. ;-)
James Govednik
Oct 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
CuteFun book for ages 6-7 as a read-aloud, ages 7-9 for independent reading. Ace, the pig of the title, is the Great-Grandson of Dick King-Smith's other notable pig, Babe. Even Farmer Hogget gets a mention. And here is where I edited out the swine fluH1N1 joke.
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-under-12s
Wouldn't read this at the school because of the beer references, but I enjoyed it almost as much as 'Babe'.
Keiana taisacan
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i love this crazy book that hasyou on the edge of your seat waiting to see what will happen in his life nd what will happend now that he discouvers his intellegance
ChIkkA FoReVeR
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is very good
Chrisann Justice
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Dick King Smith's books when looking for chapter books to read to Joseph and Alex. We loved every single one we read together!
G. Lawrence
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Witty, funny, silly, strangely touching. My niece has insisted I read her Dick King Smith books, and she's quite right about them! Great reading, even for adults!
Aug 04, 2011 added it
Decent childrens book. Nowhere near the level of "Babe" though!
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because tells u how he helps people and how he is isvery funny.
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Obviously I'm not the target audience for this book but I I didn't really enjoy this I found it boring. This is about a pig who can understand English and the adventures he has on the farm.
Nov 14, 2012 marked it as to-read
Zach's 2nd grade
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Read this with my 3rd grader. We both really enjoyed it.
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Between Dick King-Smith and the author of Charlotte's web we're at rick of never enjoying a bacon sandwich again.
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this for a book report.
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • The Adventures of Chatterer the Red Squirrel
  • Tall Tales
  • Freddy the Detective
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4)
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
  • R-T, Margaret, and the Rats of NIMH
  • The Piggy in the Puddle
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“A little of what you like does you good. But you can have too much of a good thing.” 5 likes
“Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise if it don't make him wealthy.” 2 likes