Start by marking “The Summer Visitors” as Want to Read:
The Summer Visitors

The Summer Visitors

This follow-up to the successful The Winter Visitors, traces the interactions between a family of bears and a human family during their summer stay at a lake cottage. Told primarily through illustration, with only a few dozen words in the book, children and parents (and grandparents) alike will delight in following the antics of the bumbling bears as they enjoy the comfort ...more
Published July 16th 2011 by Down East Books (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Visitors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer Visitors

Start your review of The Summer Visitors
Megan
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The Summer Visitors is a book with beautiful detailed pictures. It has very few words. I think this book is great to use with my ESL students. The students can create the stories orally if in a beginning or emerging level of English. If students are at a higher level of English students could also write the story.
Mary
Sort of a graphic novel in picture book form. Minimal text; the action happens in the pictures and shows the bear family and the human family participating in the same activities (the bears with the help of purloined clothes, food and equipment) one summer. Wouldn't work for storytime, but fun for one-on-one sharing and lots of opportunity for discussion.
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This wordless picture book tells two stories. One is about the bears who live in the cabin during the winter and one is about the family who lives in the cabin in the summer. Will their pathes cross? This is a funny and imaginative book.
Kathryn
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I just loved it. Who were the real visitors the family of four who were people or the family of four who were bears. I just thought is was such a fun story.
Denise
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
While the illustrations are charming, this book would probably have been better realized as a wordless picture book. The dual narrative tells the story of a family that has come to the cottage for the summer, and the family of bears that borrow their things. While the text is sweet, it is spread too thinly throughout the book to be effective.
Samantha
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This story reads like an almost wordless picture book. Both a family of people and a family of bears enjoy the same vacation spot. Pictures reveal the activities both families like to fill their summer days with and include plenty of humorous moments when the bears "borrow" items to add to their festivities. Beautiful artwork and a cute story. Great book for summer displays!
Jill
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-fic
I really like this book. And whenever I read it, I want to make it work for storytime. But there's so many pictures w/o words, it would take forever, I think, to go through it and have the kids tell me what they see. Much better for a one on one or two.
Susan  Dunn
So cute! A family comes to visit their lake house for the summer, and a family of bears shares their toys, food and enjoyment. Companion book to The Winter Visitors. Wouldn't work for storytime, but this is a great book to sit together and share one on one.
Bethe
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is just okay, detailed illustrations most suited for one on one reading, not as a read aloud for a groups.
Karen
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book is sort of Goldilocks and the Three Bears in reverse, only not really, and more creepy than clever.
Marianne
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Anyone who cherishes memories of spending summers at a cottage on a lake will enjoy this lovely picture book. Sparse text.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Tale of two familes (one bear, one human) at a summer cabin. Very little text, pictures really tell the tale.
Brittany
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not really sure why, but the summer version just did not impress me. I love the others...so far.
David
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Beautiful artwork. Disturbing premise. Not much of a story.
Mackenzie Raatz