Start by marking “Forever Is Over” as Want to Read:
Forever Is Over

Forever Is Over

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
"Forever Is Over" is an equilateral love triangle focusing on life, love and precious time.

Richie Billingham, a married father of two in his early thirties, is attending a party held in his honour and organised by his wife, Jemma. He has terminal cancer.

Through the eyes of several characters, we are taken back through the lives of Richie and Jemma.

Richie is from a large mi
Published March 24th 2011 by Authorhouse (first published March 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Is Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Is Over

Gail
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a magnificent book. Roller coaster of emotions but I can honestly say this is one of the best books I have ever read. I cried so much at the end, partly because it was a very emotional ending but also because the wonderful Richie Billingham and Miss Jemma Watkinson are no longer in my life. I read this 600 page book within 3 days as I literally couldn't put it down. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. 5 stars is not enough.
Neats
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Forever Is Over is one of those books that begins at the end.

We find out right from the outset that Richie has cancer and he's dying but rewind back to his childhood and that's where the story starts.

Told in an almost journal like way, we follow Richie from his teenage years through to adulthood and we meet a wide variety of characters. Each chapter is a story within the main story from a different character and this a great way to get to know each of them and find out more about their lives and
Jane L.
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow, where do I start?
I thought I knew a thing or two about writing, but Calvin Wades sensational book makes me look like a complete novice.
I don't usually "do" love stories, but this one intrigued me, so I thought I'd take a look. I'm so happy I did, I read books all the time, but I was totally gripped by this story, I kept carrying the book around with me in order to read a bit at every given opportunity!
It's not just a love story, if you were ever a teenager (and I suspect you were once) and
Lynne McCartney
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was such a wonderful book. Pretty long (618 pages) but even then I didn't find it a struggle, I wanted to keep reading and I'm sad that it's over.

Great story telling, great characters, and I loved the way in which it was written, from each character's perspective, with new perspectives introduced along the way. All of the references to the 1980s in the first few chapters really resonated with me personally, having been a teenager then also.

A criticism, which is no fault of the author
Tracy Fenton
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Review: OMG, although this book is pretty big (628 pages) and in places it seemed to take “forever” to read, it was simply beautiful. I read it over a couple of days on holiday and sobbed into my sunbed. I experienced so many emotions during this book but above all it will stay with me for years to come. I recommend this book to everyone I know and it would definitely be in my top 10 reads of 2013.
Sheryl
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Teenage angst, murder, sibling rivalry, terminal cancer ... the story line had real potential, but the execution was dreadful. There are some glimmers of capturing real emotion, but ultimately, all the characters showed little dimension, and in truth the book read like it was written by an adolescent. Not only does the writing need a lot of work, but it seemed clear that no editing was done at all. In fact, I was rather convinced at first that the proliferation of exclamation points was a litera ...more
Michelle Sibley
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had never read anything of this author but id been told good things so decided to give it a bash, it is a long my read but it's perfect if your looking for a book that is going to take you on a journey. This is the story of two people, from beginning to end. I laughed and cried. It's not the best written book out there and there was some formatting issues on my kindle version but it's definitely worth a read.
Carol Sandford
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deeply touching

I'm so glad this book was recommended by the Facebook book group. I loved that it took you through every moment of the trios lives until literally the end, and those end words will stay with me for a long time, if not forever. Fab read
Holly
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A love story that goes beyond a simple boy meets girl, which normally has me rolling my eyes. A real and honest story of love between husband and wife, between friends and between family. And the best thing? It's not a short book!
Jenny
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The constant change of character perspective makes the book a very good read and at times I couldn't put it down as I was desperate to know what happened next. The book, apart from being funny and exciting, does have a more serious side to it; cancer and its effects on the lives of the sufferer and their family. This element of the story made the book even more touching and likable as, behind the slightly far fetched story lines of the various characters and the f ...more
Colette Lamberth
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book but I think I might have loved it if it had been a third shorter. It was nice to take a trip down memory lane and I could relate to all the 70s and 80s storylines but ultimately it just took too long to reach the conclusion, particularly knowing from the first chapter where we were headed. The details say it was re-formatted in June 2015 but it is riddled with typos and formatting issues which were the reason I didn't finish it at my first attempt to read it. I read it ...more
Rick Blanks
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing

A brilliantly written story. The author’s frequent use of analogies were both clever and helpful in bringing the reader closer to the subject he was conveying. I found it most comforting in the fact that like Calvin, I share a passion for sports, particularly English football, and popular music, in which he refers to both disciplines on several occasions. Also, I am of the romantic persuasion and this love story certainly tugs at the heartstrings. In British speak, it ticks all the right boxes!
Splage
Mar 11, 2012 marked it as dnf
Big potential with story, but started so sad- so I am going to halt 1/2 way through. (Although I did cheat and read the last chapter and it is a big time sobber) The story is based in England and I really struggled with all the inside jokes and slang. Every chapter was from different characters point of view, therefore it jumped around a lot on the timeline.

I think if I read this when I was in a different mood I might have been able to finish, but it was sort of depressing knowing the ending in
Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue, but it been such a roller coaster of a ride. At times I laughed out loud at Richie, and Kelly's antics. Then there was Jemma and her story. What a mix, this was a sorry of Richie's illness, and a serious one at that.
Even though I am from down South, we still used some of these terms. This is more of an awareness book, but it is quite long.
At the end i cried you cannot read it in public.

I would recommend it to everyb
Glen Downie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brilliant! Loved reading a book from my obscure home town of Ormskirk! Characters were warm and familiar, one of my fave reads of 2012. Dont read in public, this book does cause emotional distress!!!
Vanessa
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read..can't wait for his next book..!!
Kirstie
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Loved it.

Written from many different people's views this grabbed me straight away. I felt I knew all the characters, just brilliant
Misfits farm
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories that stays with you. If you enjoyed “Edward” and “Ove” then this may be your sort of story.The story of a group of youngsters mainly focussed around Richie his girlfriend Jemma and her sister Kelly. An emotional tale taking them from primary school through to married life. Characters that come to life through the pages with events that are traumatic for those involved and those around them. Some very wise words: “Its the weak that bully because they’re scared. Someth ...more
Sammy Jackson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite a big read this one, but I absolutely loved every minute of it, a truly lovely read, the characters were great and easy to love and get to know, this is a big fat recommend to my usual ladies and of course my Auntie Lyn x
Mrs.H.
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cried buckets - really enjoyed this book, would recommend highly :)
Adele Shea
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I possibly say about this book? It had me feeling so many emotions. I would say it's one of my top ten favourite books to date. Thank You Calvin. XX
Joe Singleton
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a free offer on Amazon and it was the first book that I read on my new Kindle Fire HD.

This is not the usual type of book I would instantly read however the story line interested me and also the fact that it was based around an area where I was brought up.

Reading the book brought out all kinds of emotions in me from laughing to crying and to thinking about the future and remembering the poast. I would really recommend everyone to read this book, it is a real page turner
Sam
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you left school in the mid 80's, had children in the 90's and hit a few bumps along the way this book will speak to you. The book is written from the perspective of several different characters. Amazingly it works without being disjointed. You get to see several different peoples perspectives on the same thing. Although it is ultimately about someone who is terminally ill it manages to not be a depressing read. At times funny, other times tense and very heart warming. Not the sort of book I n ...more
Andrew Lennon
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Book! Kept me engrossed the whole time reading it!
The fact I grew up in Aughton/Ormskirk helped alot as I was able to picture a lot of the places mentioned and relate to a lot of the things going on.
You really get the feeling you genuinely know the characters and you start feeling for them throughout their problems.
Recommend this to anyone it has an appeal to both men and women, with love triangles, football, gangs, gambling etc.

Looking forward to the next book!
Jacqueline Moran
this is the second book ive read by this author I can't believe how fantastic he writes lt feels so.real I forget it's a story.
this is such a wonderful story starts at the end but then takes to the beginning of two wonderful life's of riches billingham who as cancer and gemma watkinson what an emotional roller coaster I could not put this down I will be diffently reading another one of his book when I've recovered from this one they are just so emotional
Amy
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the way the book bounced between characters and time. I gave it a 4 star not because it was an great book but because I will miss the characters. it took me a few days to read the end because I was sad it was over and hate it when a book makes me cry =0) A unique story about a couples relationship from their courtship through his fight with cancer.
Glynis
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. This was a Book a Club recommendation. Normally I would never have bought it as the cover was pretty bland but how glad I am. It very much reminded me of Lisa Jewell and Jo Jo Moyes novels. Not laugh aloud humour but that gentle smile and pleasure you get from a well told relationship story. Highly recommended.
Kathy
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This made me cry and I am one tough old bird, so expressions of emotion are a true indicator that this book touched me. Imagine the fear of having testicular cancer, recovering and then back it comes, this book plays out the life stories of those involved throughout those troubled times.
Samantha Jackson
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book will make you laugh and cry. I wouldn't say it's the best piece of literature I've ever read, but it is still a great read and I did struggle to put it down several times. A year or so ago I missed Emma and Dexter, now I miss Richie and Gemma.
Jackie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny, witty and incredibly moving ... I really liked the way the lives of the main characters evolved through their own and others observations of the same situation. It kept me engaged the whole way through.
Who is the Phantom F###**R? 4 10 Apr 30, 2014 11:39AM
  • Fake Kate
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Sign of the Times
  • The Dating intervention
Calvin Wade was born in Ormskirk, Lancashire in 1971. He studied Economics at Manchester Metropolitan University, graduating in 1992. On graduation, he worked in a record shop for eighteen months to fund a backpacking trip around the world.

Since returning from his travels, his working life has been in the mortgage industry, working for Alliance & Leicester, Yorkshire Building Society and Birmi
“Enjoy it, learn from it and more than anything, never take your health for granted. Don’t just seize the day. Seize the moment. Every single one.” 9 likes
“Are you scared?”

“Of what?”

“Dying.” Jemma was nothing, if she was not blunt.

“I’m not expecting to die, Jemma. I’m expecting to have treatment, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, whatever it takes, but I’m expecting to come through this.”
1 likes