Start by marking “An Autumn Crush” as Want to Read:
An Autumn Crush

An Autumn Crush

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,424 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
Four friends, two crushes, and a secret that will turn everything upside-down. 'An Autumn Crush' is the new novel from the best-selling author of 'A Summer Fling'.
Published September 29th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published 2011)

Leah
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Milly Johnson isn’t an author that’s very high up on my radar. I read her debut novel The Yorkshire Pudding Club a long while back (and really liked it!) and I have three of her books waiting to be read, but she doesn’t necessarily appeal. I know I shouldn’t read books on what I think of the author, but I just don’t seem to get a good vibe from her; a while back she posted about bad review and she has done that a couple of times now and I don’t personally like it. I find it insulting that just b ...more
Jane
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bought-new
A delightful book
Lian Tanner
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I've liked the previous Milly Johnson books I've read - a bit of escapist romance and humour - but this one felt very clunky. Definitely not one of her better books. I stopped reading it a few chapters in because the writing was so heavy-handed.
Shaz Goodwin
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From the opening of this story where Juliet and her friend Coco are interviewing for a flat mate, right up to the last punctuation mark, I have really enjoyed living in this world created by Milly Johnson.

The story takes us through the Autumnal months of August, September, October and November living alongside characters whose antics have provoked emotional outbursts from me and no doubt will from you!

Guys frustrated attempts at getting close to Floz actually had me in stitches of laughter. I s
Kim Nash
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When you’ve read all the books that a writer has written so far, and they bring out a new one, you always wonder whether it will live up to the others. Well, she’s only gone and done it again! Milly Johnson has created another cracker of a book in the form of Autumn Crush.

When thirty-something divorcee Juliet interviews for a flatmate with best gay friend Coco, they have almost given up hope when into their life walks the lovely Floz who is the perfect candidate and they all get on like a house
Carol
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I found I was really enjoying this book until half way into the read when it became annoying as characters who had previously disliked each other suddenly became affectionate towards one another. Yep just like that. I also found one of the male leads equally irksome as he mooned over his sisters friend and dithered how to express his feelings for her throughout most of this novel. Not till the final chapter do we know the expected outcome which was brief in the telling actually. The epilogue whi ...more
Rosiemae Burton
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Good writing but the storyline was slightly too predictable. One of those books that cheers you up and warms your heart. I felt that the writing was realistic to ordinary day to day life. Would love to read more by Milly Johnson.
Anne
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this one + absolutely loved it. Wrestling, internet relationships, love affairs from afar, wonderful loving families (and the other sort), fantastic humour and incredible pathos, superb story, even better writing - Milly Johnson, I love you!
Damelapin
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Rebecca eley
Oct 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All lovers of romcom in a book
Recommended to Rebecca by: Me
Shelves: trashy-romance
Still on my mission to read all my un-read books I fancied a bit of light relief from Requiem for a Dream. I do like a bit of trashy romance once in a while (the name of the bookshelf where all my Sophie Kinsella, Lauren Weisberger, Jill Mansell etc live not an indication that the book is in fact trashy). I managed to polish this off on a Sunday that I spent mostly on the sofa. Not really related to the book but I did notice that you get a lot of narrative on what people are eating. Then my daug ...more
Serena Louise
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite novel by Milly. I haven't been able to enjoy many of her other books as much as I have this one. I suppose everyone has a personal favourite.
Let me first say that all of the characters in this books are adorable, particularly the men in the book. This book is the epitome of awkward starts to relationships, just like guy's first meeting with a new young lady - his sisters room mate. Hilarious fails from both sexes as times which portrays life in a fun, yet realistic way.
The
Ellie
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
After splitting with her husband, Juliet is in need of a flatmate and won't settle for anyone she can't be friends with. After a string of awful applicants, Floz walks through the door and the two women are soon firm friends. Juliet's brother, Guy, takes an instant fancy to Floz but a series of misunderstandings cause a rift between the two. Guy's best friend, Steve has had a crush on Juliet since primary school but hides behind a mask. Juliet thinks Steve is a knob.

It's not rocket science to gu
Maiko76
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Romanzetto pieno di stereotipi, la moglie che scopre il marito a letto con la migliore amica, il migliore amico gay sfortunato in amore ed esperissimo di moda, il campo strafigo dietro al quale la protagonista sbava e che ovviamente non la degna di uno sguardo e poi il ragazzo che la protagonista conosce da sempre, che non ha mai risvegliato il suo interesse e che invece alla fine si rivela l'uomo giusto.
Troppe banalità per un solo libro.
Emer
Oct 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Yaaaaaaaaaaawn!

Dullest of the dull. I don't particularly like the term chick lit as it feels somewhat condescending towards women writers. I prefer the term light fiction. But I still expect my light fiction reads to not completely descend into predictability and boredom. But sadly that's exactly what this one did.
Book-shelf Shelf
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant story about family, friends, relationships and life. Milly shows some characters to have judgement but also compassion. She touches each subject with the right amount of tenderness with out preaching to the reader, but leaving a lesson to be learned if so desired. However the end came to fast and short. Loved the book and enjoyed watching each character and relationship unfold.
Ruth Johnson
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it's Milly Johnson, of course it's great.
Elsia
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hát engem ez a nő a Madarak és Méhekkel átvert, az vicces volt, a többi pedig csak egyszerűen rózsaszín rágógumi.
Lynette Burnett
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful! I adored this book! I downloaded "An Autumn Crush" accidentally from the library while I was downloading another book. Since I had, though, I figured I may as well go ahead and read it. I cannot say too many times how much I loved it! Juliet, Floz, Coco, Guy and Steve are fantastic characters, as are the Miller parents, and the cast of characters that inhabit their worlds (really, Ms. Johnson had me with Jeff Leppard!). Each character is so completely developed, and their storylines ...more
Micaela
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect much from this book actually, the plot was very dull. However, i was very surprised. I like the way it is written, very well by the way, and I think the characters are well developed and some with a very dark background, which is not actually common in chick lit. I think that Floz is kind of unrealistic, specially with that internet lover. i enjoyed this book a lot! hope to read more from her!
Paula Nichols
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm on my seasonal kick, although this one should have been started last month!! This was a light, rambling read which entertained nicely, and the short chapters made it a real page turner - don't know why shorter chapters make me read books quicker! Typically lots of missed opportunities, crossed wires and long lingering glances, but a heart warming romp through love and family for the Autumn.
Belinda Munro
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Unfortunately I did not finish this one (I got to page 80). The first book I read by Milly Johnson was written in 2017 and it was fantastic. I find the older the Milly book, the less I like the writing. I guess Milly Johnson has improved in her writing skills over time? Might stick with the more recently released books from now on.
Pippa
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps 3.5 stars. I did like this book but not quite as much as the other six I have read, I can't quite put my finger on why, but it certainly hasn't dulled my enthusiasm for Milly's writing and I look forward to reading A Winter Flame soon.
Claire
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick read and is really quite cute. I do love the characters and their journeys to love and happiness. There are a few un-answered questions in there that I felt were only skimmed over but overall a really nice read.
Vanessa Adamson
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Juliet needs a new flat mate and her flamboyant friend Coco is helping her interview. Along comes Floz...
Floz has a secret past that she has is trying to forget.
Damaged brother of Juliet, Guy, likes Floz but can't get it right.
Best friend and wrestler Steve has always had a crush on Juliet but she can't stand him.
Coco wants a man.
Is internet dating the answer?
Some very light hearted scenes mixed with some more intense side stories.
Not my favourite Milly Johnson but an enjoyable read.
Abc
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Classiche storie d'amore infarcite di fraintendimenti ridicoli e luoghi comuni a più non posso. Per rallegrare il tutto ci sono delle situazioni simpatiche volte a suscitare ilarità nel lettore. Decisamente una lettura superflua.
Madhuri Jaikumar
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the whole plot line of how connected the characters were. The timeline of Floz and Guy's relationship was such a interesting wait! Although, it felt a little too pushed at times..

But I cannot wait to read other books by this author!
Karina Kness-Kuhl
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
wasn't one of her best and ended abruptly but not too bad
Ally
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
love millys books.
Suzanne
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not overly into this book. It was ok but to me there wasn't a good story line to it.
Simo
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartacei
Interessante, spigliato, divertente..cosa si può volere di più da un libro?
  • The Only Way Is Up
  • The Beach Hut (The Beach Hut, #1)
  • Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
  • Last Christmas
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Summer of Love
  • Walking Back to Happiness
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
  • The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)
  • Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Out of the Blue
Milly Johnson was born in Barnsley, raised in Barnsley and still lives in Barnsley - although she did study in Exeter for four years and emigrate to Haworth in West Yorkshire in the 1980s.

She trained as an actress, teacher, an accountant, a Customer Services and Suggestion Scheme Manager as well as working in a variety of administrative posts for companies dealing with anything from antique furnit