Start by marking “Portraits of Faith” as Want to Read:
Portraits of Faith

Portraits of Faith

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Published August 1st 2004 by Bryntirion Press

To ask other readers questions about Portraits of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits of Faith

Wesley Rea
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book. Was this one of those little devotional type books that pick out little tidbits from the lives of Biblical characters? Kind of. But it goes much deeper than that.

Presenting five Biblical characters as examples of faith, the author really delves into what faith consists of. After giving brief dictionary-esque definitions at the beginning, he goes deeper into these five characters' stories and demonstrates how they lived our lives of faith.

I espe
NinaB
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a little gem of a book! Great character study of some oft-ignored examples of faith in the Bible. I hope to read it with my daughters soon!
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[My husband and I listened to this together on audiobook.]
Michael Boling
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith is a term used throughout Scripture and one that in my humble opinion is often misunderstood, especially when it comes to understanding the dynamic between how a sound faith will result in godly behavior in the life of the believer. So what exactly does a godly faith look like in action? Do we have examples we can turn to in order to have a good sense of what it means to have a faith that pleases and glorifies God? The clear answer to that question is yes. There are numerous examples in Sc ...more
Andrew Wencl
I primarily know Joel Beeke for his book Meet the Puritans and his involvement with Reformation Heritage Books, a great book publisher. In addition to his more scholarly works, Beeke also writes shorter tomes, like the rerelease title Portraits of Faith, of which I was able to snag a review copy from the publisher.

Portraits of Faith is not written for the scholar. In fact, it’s geared more towards newer believers and is based on some messages he gave a few years back. Explaining what faith is ca
Aaron
Portraits of Faith is a book by Joel Beeke about the faith of five people from scripture who are not your typical ‘heroes of the faith’. Instead, Beeke focuses on ordinary sinners like you and I and shows how God is at work to produce faith within them. The effect that this had on me as a reader was to magnify the glory of God as I found myself more and more convinced that God is indeed at work in me; “both the will and the deed even of his good pleasure”.

Starting with Adam and Eve, Beeke shows
Melissa
I waffled between giving this four or five stars, since it probably could have been developed a little more in certain areas. However, the concise length is also a plus in some ways.

This book addresses the faith of five different individuals and certain aspects of their faith: Adam & Eve's childlike faith, the Shunnamite woman's submissive faith, the Canaanite woman's mature faith, and Caleb's persevering faith. Each chapter has shorter sections, often with a modern-day example or two. I li
Jonathan Roberts
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This short little book is a collection of four sermons by Joel R. Beeke the president of Puritan Theological Seminary. It is a good little book. However, the subtitle is a little misleading in that it is actually four sermons (Adam and Eve are covered together, so it is five characters!). It is written at a lay person level and would be approachable for all readers. It is a helpful book as one examines their faith and how it affects their life.

Recommended
Mark A Powell
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Beeke looks at the faith of some lesser-known characters (the Shunammite woman of Elisha’s day and the Canaanite woman of Jesus’ day), as well as more familiar names like Adam, Eve, and Caleb. From these lives, Beeke shows genuine faith as childlike, submissive, mature, and persevering. These sermons converted to book form are (as admitted) too brief to unfurl the full tapestry of faith. What we have here are a few threads suitable for tracing out.
Heather Hart
I was really excited about this book, but just couldn't follow it. It didn't really have a good flow, but just felt like they stuck a whole bunch of mini-sermons into a 5 chapter book. Don't get me wrong, some of them were amazing. It just didn't fit the way it was put together in my opinion.

I received a free review copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Magnolia1776
Samantha
May 07, 2016
vanno
Jul 22, 2018
Dr. Joel R. Beeke serves as President and Professor of Systematic Theology, Church History, and Homiletics. He has been in the ministry since 1978 and has served as a pastor of his current church since 1986. He is also editor of the Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth, editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books, president of Inheritance Publishers, and vice-president of the Dutch Reformed Transl ...more