Start by marking “Mr Bliss” as Want to Read:
Mr Bliss

Mr Bliss

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,422 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
The first ever trade edition of Tolkien's illustrated tale about the eccentric Mr Bliss, a man notable for his immensely tall hats and for the girabbit in his garden, whose whimsical decision to buy a motor car quickly becomes a catalogue of disasters.
Published 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Bliss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr Bliss

Bookdragon Sean
Many of Tolkien’s writings are child friendly, and none more so than this. If anything, of all his works, this is the one aimed at the youngest reading audience. It is a very simple story full of humour and silly mishaps. It was certainly entertaining to read in parts, but as a child I know I would have liked it more.

It lacks that universal quality that some children’s literature possesses, an ability to speak to all readers of any age. We were all children once and we can all relate to the the
Michael
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a self-confessed Tolkien nut but this was a book I'm sure even neutrals would love.

It's a beautifully illustrated and quirky children's book, the pictures drawn by Tolkien himself. Not just a great writer but a talented artist also!

What a contrast to Middle-earth and the tales of good and evil. I'm in awe at the scope of Tolkien's imagination, always have been, and how easily he could switch between different fantasy realms and writing for different age groups. I'd love to write a children'
leynes
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
// Book #4 for BTAT 2018!

Mr. Bliss is a children's picture book by J. R. R. Tolkien, published posthumously in book form in 1982. One of Tolkien's least-known short works, it tells the story of Mr. Bliss and his first ride in his new motor-car. Many adventures follow: encounters with bears, angry neighbours, irate shopkeepers, and assorted collisions. The story was inspired by Tolkien's own vehicular mishaps with his first car, purchased in 1932. [Tolkien's dislike for industrialisation – and
Clare O'Beara
This is illustrated with charming colour sketches by the author. A small fairytale with bears in the woods, picnics on the lawn, a brightly coloured new car and pride going before a fall. I particularly like the girabbit, a creature like a rabbit with a giraffe's neck and head. There are some similarities to Toad of Toad Hall. We see names like Gamgee, Sam and Boffin, with other precursors of The Hobbit and TLOTR.

Interestingly in the list of costs Mr Bliss incurs, I note a sixpence tip to the p
Andrew Hryhirchuk
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little Sunday afternoon light-read.
Loved it. I am, however quite bias. I'm a big Tolkien fan, and I'll read anything that his colourful imagination can conjure.
It's a bright and animated children's book about the adventures of a tall hat wearing dandy names Mr. Bliss, and his spontaneous inspiration to buy a motorcar, and the trouble there ensues.
Aside from the playfulness of story and many delightful characters, the book is worth buying simply for its hand-crafted illustrations by the
Annaleely Leely
i would like a girabbit, please.
Laura LVD
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, other
Pequeña historia infantil que tiene la peculiaridad de haber sido no sólo escrita sino ilustrada por el autor.
La historia es entretenida y los dibujos preciosos.
Y me encantó el jirafanejo! (girabbit en el original)
Jennifer (JC-S)
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
My inner child and I really enjoyed this book. Professor Tolkien wrote this book for his own children in the 1930s but it was never published in his lifetime. The edition I read (pulbished in 1983) has a facsimile of Professor Tolkien's original written text and lovely drawings side by side with the printed text.

I wish I'd discovered this book 20 years ago in time to read with my son. I'm sure he'd have enjoyed it.
Robin_R
I listened to the audiobook of this picture book by Tolkien because it was narrated by Sir Derek Jacobi. A wonderful combination!
Marina Balinska
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun while reading this! I needed something light and fun to cheer me up after 3 days being sick! And what do you know... I feel way better now!
Emily
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute! Just the kind of story you can imagine reading aloud. Gets sillier and sillier as it goes, and Tolkien's drawings are just lovely.
The Peregrine Shepherd
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Is this a poignant piece of literary greatness? No. Was it written exquisitely with riveting action and dialouge? No. Not by any means. But Mr. Bliss still captured my heart, if for no other reason than it's the first book I've read in a long time that made feel like there was someone sitting on the edge of my bed telling me a story before I go to sleep. It's pure, childlike simplicity is just... charming and Tolkien's writing style can take just as much credit for this as the bizarre storyline ...more
Ettelwen
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odkaz na Středozemi je snad všude :)
Briana
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Bliss is a delightful yet little-known story that Tolkien wrote for his children. It’s fairly straightforward as children’s stories go, following the misadventures of Mr. Bliss after he buys a new automobile and discovers it might be more trouble than it’s worth, so I can see why the tale isn’t generally mentioned among Tolkien’s bigger works. However, the story is amusing and a must-read for any Tolkien fan.

The published book is a facsimile edition, reproducing Tolkien’s illustrations and h
Книжни Криле
Това приказно приключение по-скоро би се случило в Страната на Оз или пък в Страната на чудесата, от колкото в Графството, но... Шантавите патила на Мистър Блис са плод на въображението именно на Дж. Р. Р. Толкин! И тъй като отрочето ми е все още прекалено мъничко за „Хобит”, а май дори и за „Червенокосия Джайлс”, луксозното фототипно издание на „Бард” идва тъкмо навреме. Сега вече „безценното ми” може спокойно да слуша преди лягане приказки от майстора на фентъзито. Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни ...more
Knigoqdec
Рисунките на Толкин винаги са много симпатични и приказни, но не мога да кажа, че "Мистър Блис" има в себе си нещо особено специфично, което би ме накарало да я обикна като дете. Писмата му от името на Дядо Коледа излъчваха повече топлина и вълшебство.
Тук ми хареса най-вече идеята за Жираека.
И един Майтапер се разхождаше из града...
И имаше една тъмна, тъмна гора. И три чудовища вътре...
Мартин Касабов
Не харесвам особено приказките на Толкин, за разлика от всичко, свързано със Средната земя. Това, за съжаление, спада повече в първата категория, макар в историята да се забелязват познати елементи, като някои тролоподобни непохватни образи. Интересно е обаче предаването на имущество и начинът, по който героите предявяват искове.
Katherine Sas
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inklings, tolkien, fantasy
Utterly unlike anything else in Tolkien's corpus.
Zornitza Ivanova
Изключително забавна. Толкин си е Толкин!
Aaron W. Matthews
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have far too much respect for Mr. Tolkien to rate this book lower because it is, after all, not for me. He imagined, invented, and illustrated this book for his children many years ago when they were still very young. A single word to sum up Mr. Bliss is eccentric. A single word to sum up the story is silly. It is a series that begins on a whim, follows with many follies, and ends well and happy and good.
Nicole Pramik
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing is for sure - Mr. Bliss is quite possibly the funniest, cutest story of Tolkien's I've ever read (besides perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham). That's by no means an insult because cute and comedy can be good if they're cleverly done, which is certainly the case here.

In this posthumous work originally published in 1982, Tolkien presents to readers a hand-written, and hand-drawn, story about the clumsy Mr. Bliss and his many adventures and misadventures with an automobile, some of which involv
Michael
Mr. Bliss is delightfully amusing, both the book and the title character himself. He gets himself into a series of farcical scrapes involving his new car, three thuggish teddy bears, four obese brothers, some cabbages and some bananas. Mr. Bliss is a frightful coward throughout, not at all the hero you might expect, which I think would make him a rather sympathetic character for younger children. He does stand up for himself in the end, albeit in a somewhat passive/aggressive way. Oh, and watch ...more
Edoardo Albert
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I took away from this short little book (finished in a 30-minute tube ride), apart from its charm and the almost palpable sense of also sitting on the bed as Tolkien delivered the story, probably ex tempore in its first version, to his children, was how interesting and unique his handwriting was and what a large part it seems drawing played in the Good Professor's creativity. The story is slight although engaging, but the drawings are enchanting, and I'm reminded of Tolkien's drawings and p ...more
Ash
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I saw this book in a London bookstore recently and since I am collecting all the books written by Tolkien (since he is a favorite author of mine), I had to get a copy of this book.
This is a short, funny children’s story. I didn’t enjoy it much as an adult but I am sure young children will like it. The book had facsimile of the original illustrations and text written by Tolkien himself. Recommend it for Tolkien fans and for young children.
Ana Rînceanu
Cartea aceasta merge perfect cu un ceai dulce, mai ales dacă faci pauză de la "Stăpânul Inelelor". Ilustraţiile create de autor merg perfect cu tenta jucăuşă a poveştii domnului Bliss, care iese dintr-o încurcătură ca să intre în alta. Mie cartea mi-a plăcut dar verişoarei mele nu prea: “Mr. Bliss e prea neserios cu banii”.
Cynthia Egbert
I wish I still had young children to read aloud with because I think a read-aloud with this book would be such fun. I enjoyed myself in its silliness and loved reading in Tolkien's own hand with his pictures.
Lorelei
Sep 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Really good example of adventures that are hell to live though become the best stories. Lots of fun. ;-) Oh, yes, it is fiction.
Angelina
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, unfinished
Not really my kind of story...
Liz
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never gets old. Read this for TOLKIEN READING DAY! WHOOP!
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Love Is a Special Way of Feeling
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling
  • Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Maria & José
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49