Start by marking “Hurry! Hurry!” as Want to Read:
Hurry! Hurry!

Hurry! Hurry!

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  527 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Rooster is spreading the word: Hurry! Hurry! All the animals rush to the barn--and arrive just in time to greet the tiniest member of the farm family, hatching out of his egg.

Eve Bunting's simple energetic text and Jeff Mack's colorful art come together in a joyful book that's perfect for preschoolers.
Published March 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hurry! Hurry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurry! Hurry!

Kelli
Simple text for toddlers, building excitement, graphic and colorful. Delights toddlers.
Brooke
This is a simple book about farm animals running to see a chick hatch. There are no more than a few words per page (none of which are animal sounds, usually). It would work for a farm animal storytime for toddlers or to read one-on-one.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
This books illustrates so beautifully the concept that when a baby is born the whole community rejoices, not just the family the baby is born to. Life is sacred and worth rejoicing over!

** Talking Points - Are you excited when people have new babies? Why? What makes babies special? Would you like another baby in our family? Why?
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary It is a big day on the farm as the hen runs around the farm encouraging animals to "hurry, hurry"
Annotation This book uses minimal text in repeating words and short phrases like "hurry hurry" to push along the story. The pictures help tell the story.
Age appropriateness 0-4 years old
Connection to six early literacy skillsThis helps build print motivation. It is simple and has great pictures that express the minimal text.
Five practices - Reading to show the importance of how a few w
Nicole Prescott
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This is an adorable and simple pattern picture book for children. The story begins with a rooster summoning the rest of the barn animals to be quickly get ready for some unknown event by yelling “Hurry! Hurry!”. A variety of barn animals including sheep, pigs, dogs, ducks, and cows, all gather, run, and help each other get to the barn as quickly as possible. Once they arrive to the barn they all listen to the rooster’s egg hatch and then “Welcome! Welcome!” the new baby chick. Each page repeats ...more
Heidi-Marie
Great illustrations. No matter how I tried, I couldn't quite read this one to fully engage the children. It was hard to point out the small animal in the background of one page which would be the focus on the next. And I asked some questions, but they didn't seem to work. But the pictures were interesting to them, and I think they liked the end.

5/1/14 Subbed in Toddler Time, so I did a Farm Animals theme. This was my opener. Small group, but they seemed to like it. By the 2nd page, I remembered
Marissa García
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birthdays, spring, farms
The anticipation of a long awaited hatching is vibrantly expressed in this bright, clever little book. Animals pass the word along to each other throughout the farm, urging each other to get over to the barn. They are met with a wonderful moment. They get to witness the tapping of a baby chick’s arrival, and the whole farm family welcomes the little one in joy.

This book communicates its story in very sparse language, allowing the illustrations and typography to express much of the excitement. An
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A rooster bursts onto the first double spread urging the other barnyard creatures to "Hurry, Hurry!" What's all the fuss about? Everyone is gathering to welcome the farm's newest arrival.

Jeff Mack's illustrations have soft edges and pastel colors that make his animals warm and inviting and downright adorable. An extremely simple text can be dressed up a little bit with the appropriate noises to match each animal - better yet, ask your audience to make the noises. This would also be great for a b
Alicia Scully
It's a big day at the farm and the hen is trying to rush everyone together. The book shows various animals making their way to the mysterious event while giving the continuous format of repeated words on each page. Young or early readers will appreciate this and will be able to help read it very soon after initially hearing it but there isn't really much else to go on. Children may learn some new words and the illustrations are wonderfully done with colored pencil but readers may tire of this ea ...more
Erin Buhr
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The animals on the farm all "Hurry! Hurry!" to the barn from all corners of the farm in this quick paced read aloud. When they all gather around the chicken in the barn, the readers are as curious as the animals to find out what is so urgent. The crowd hushes as a little egg starts to hatch and a baby chick is welcomed to the world. Eve Bunting is a master with engaging a young audience with brief, intriguing words. The pictures are soft and inviting. A celebration of farm animals and the antici ...more
Susan Wright
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jeff
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book has the simplist of texts, but the story is told in the anticipation of the images and the excitement language which includes how the words are displayed on the page. Each page has the same word or short phrase repeated twice, as all of the barnyard animals respond to the chicken's call to "Hurry, Hurry." And the ruckus on the farm is worth it to see that they are all hurrying to the barn to see chick hatch from her egg. A great story, and one of Morgan's favorites!
Candice
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie, Oliver
Shelves: picture-books
This didn't translate well to an e-book. The pictures were separated from the text and it was confusing to read. I might have given it 5 stars if I had read it in print, however, because it is a good story and colorfullly and beautifully illustrated. Rooster wants all the other farm animals to "hurry, hurry" to see the chick hatch from its egg. Each animal prods its young to "hurry, hurry" to the barn to see the big event. The text is simple and the illustrations colorful and appealing.
Ellie Fater
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hurry! Hurry! would be the perfect tool to use with beginning readers, especially to teach them key words. The repetition of the book creates a nice rhythm and would be good for 2 readers to read aloud and take turns. Sometimes, books that are this basic can be boring or purposeless, but Eve Bunting created a lovely ending. I enjoyed this book because I can see its educational value. Also, the illustrations and simple plot are well done.
Linda
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is very good for toddlers two and below. I liked the illustrations and how one little detail is there to link the next page to the previous, but my daughter LOVED the book. It's one of the few that she could focus on from the first to the last page, and still keep turning in her hands after the read.
Tam
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy Houseman
All the farm animals are in a hurry. but for what? Young children will love the anticipation they will encounter as they have to wait to find out why everyone is in such a hurry. This book is great for predicting and perfect for emergent readers. The story is told using very few words with the help of amazing illustrations.
Angela Hutchinson
In this book, the rooster calls out to HURRY! HURRY! to meet the farms newest arrival. This would be a good book to read in the Spring and teaching students about how Spring brings new life. There are not many words in this book, so it would be a great book for a beginning reader. The reader could use the picture to make-up their own story, as well.
Cassaundra Aunna
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found the book very entertaining for younger children. It is easy to read, and not a lot of words, so it is great for a two year old who can't stay focused on one thing for too long. The story was cute, and my kids loved it. It's only a great book if your kids enjoy it, and my kids did more than enjoy it, they LOVED it.
Kelly Cooke
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
iris and i go to the library for story time for babies every tuesday. whenever emily the librarian reads this book, i purposely don't pay attention because if i do, i completely tear up at the end when the baby chick hatches from her egg and yells, "i'm here! i'm here!" it's kind of embarrassing. but not bad for a book that literally only has about twelve words in it.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Drop-In Story Time on 9/4/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 11/29/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 8/23/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
MrsMaryLibrary
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Simple alliterative text, building in suspense, excellent for dialogic reading (What do you think will happen next? Why do they say they can't? Are these words the same or different? How long do you think they had to wait for the egg to hatch?) etc. It was a hit! One PreK class even begged me to read it again!
Stephanie Wycihowski
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Such a great illustrated and simple repetitive text story all about a surprise farm animal! Cute for a farm theme storytime! especially great for early readers and toddlers because of the repetitive text!
Cassie
Ages 1 and up. This book has large simple text and repeated words that are great for very young readers to develop print awareness. All of the words featured will help to build a young child's vocabulary. Great book depicting motion.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
Okay, but nothing special. The text is tight and concise, the illustrations are vibrant. But in this story of barnyard animals racing to see a chick emerge from its shell, nothing was all that remarkable.
Nicole
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short & sweet. I pointed out to Carmen that it told what animals were coming next by showing a glimpse of them in the background, so that keeps her busy with predicting what comes next. She gets excited when her prediction is right!
Jennifer Heise
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beekman
Adorable farmyard illustrations, simple repetitive text... my four year old enjoyed it but I think the target audience is two or three years old. I think this would also be great for introducing an addition to the child's larger family or friends circle.
Mallory Hall
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, toddlers
My daughter laughs though this entire book. Adorable story that can be "read' through the pictures. The limited words still allow the reader to infuse different emotions (excitement, anticipation, anxiety). Also, farm animals are always a favorite with the toddlers.
Lissie Moore
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is really cute! Its the story of a rooster trying to get all of the animals together for an event! This would be a great book for 1st graders because it is repetitive and has a lot of different animals in it!
Jessica
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you have a young one at home, this is a fantastic book to let him/her read. It's so cute and clever! After about the 2nd time reading it, your 2-year-old will be "reading" it to you! I love it when kids memorize books.
Love, love this cute book.
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Jump!
  • On the Farm
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • This Little Chick
  • Hungry Hen
  • Wee Little Chick
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Do Cows Meow?
  • Peepsqueak!
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...