Start by marking “The Littlest Angel” as Want to Read:
The Littlest Angel

The Littlest Angel

Features a homesick four-year-old boy, who only recently came to heaven and now finds himself out of sorts in the heavenly realm. Here, young readers can discover the precious gift the little angel offers to the Christ Child and learn the importance of sharing what they have with others. It is suitable for parents and youngsters alike.
Published September 1st 2001 by GuidepostsBooks (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Littlest Angel, please sign up.
Deborah Lee Yes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it…moreYes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it was for sale as a DVD. I will be honest and say I have not watched it yet so I can't commit to the quality of it, but the actual story from the book is so beautiful. I used to read it to my children at Christmas time and I have never made it through without crying!!(less)

Jen
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is my single most favorite story for Christmastime. (I just now realized I have a 1947 copy published by Ideals Publishing Corporation.) The story is very vivid and detailed. The sentiments are so universal to anyone who, at any age, pondered why anyone would look forward to Heaven when it sounded so dull and Earth was so much more interesting. Clearly, the lesson about the gift of the Littlest Angel is also timeless.

I just read it tonight to my son and it occurs to me that this book is a c
Julie Carpenter
This is a book that is a family tradition started many, many years ago. My mom bought it one Christmas when I was a teenager, and since then has purchased it for each of my siblings and their families. I loved the story as a youth and still to this day feel the same about it. So, not only was it a tradition when I was a teenager and still living at home with my parents, but it has carried on to be a tradition to read Christmas Eve with my husband and daughters.

We love it and no Christmas Eve is
Cindi
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
The story was all at once too old for young children and too young for adults. There was something about the illustrations I didn't particularly care for, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what. The part about the little boy's wooden box of treasures that he presents for the Christ child was the only part of the book that I really enjoyed.

But, to be fair, I read three stories to one of my daughters tonight (this being one of them). She chose this story as her favorite.
Elizabeth
Beautiful and charming. I can see why it's a classic!
Cory Howell
Nov 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a child, I loved this book. It's always been a favorite of my mother and grandmother. In fact, my grandmother just gave my daughter her copy of the book, which had been given to her by my late aunt. So I wanted to like this book when I read it to my daughter today. However...

The theology of this book could not be more flawed. It perpetuates the old folk theology of angels being human beings who died and went to heaven, and idea completely at odds with the Biblical picture of angels. F
Heidi
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture
This is an adorable Christmas story about a little child angel who is always getting into trouble, but who gives what he prizes most in the world to the Christ child. He is then ebarassed to have given something that most people would find useless and offensive. But, his gift is the one that is accepted and is used to create the star to lead others to the babe in Bethlehem. So sweet.
Kathryn
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this story! I was, however, not a fan of the illustrations. They just didn't seem to fit my imagination's view of the tale although others will probably feel differently. Still, this is a beautiful tale not to be missed! :-)
Diane
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Christmas story since I was a tiny girl T Christmas.
Donna Mork
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book about a sad little angel. He's too young and bored with Heaven. Gets his box from Earth and is happy. Jesus to be born, everyone giving gifts. Angel gives contents of his box. God is pleased, likes it best b/c the things are from Earth, which is where his son is to be born. Turns the box into a star that shows the way to Jesus.
Pam
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book aloud is a Christmas Eve tradition with my kids.
Patrick
Dec 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
In some circles, this book is regarded as a Christmas Classic. From where I sit, however, George Bailey's nemesis Mr. Potter would have been right to lump this story with the motivations for the Bailey Building and Loan as "sentimental hogwash."

Tazewell has good things to say about gift-giving, and few children are likely to be offended by an angel who seems so much like one of them, but therein lies one big problem with the book: it pushes the unfortunate and unscriptural idea that angels are o
Josiah
Apr 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing of Charles Tazewell is very strong, and flows in a pleasing rhythm throughout the entire book. Additionally, the illustrations of Sergio Leone fit the story perfectly and with rare beauty.
What I take from this classic story most of all is not just that one can present oneself to Jesus without shame, despite one's own imperfections and simplicity and ordinary facade, but that the sacrifices and love and hopes and dreams and feelings of the very small and young matter greatly, and s
Beth Hollmann
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another one of my favorite Christmas books. It makes me cry every time. This sweet little boy has passed away on earth and is now an angel, and is having a hard time doing all the things angels are supposed to do - he would much rather run and play. Finally he is allowed to go back and retrieve a box of special mementos from his home on earth. As Christ is about to leave heaven and be born on earth, the angels begin to present him with gifts, and the one that is chosen as His favorite is ...more
Autumn Doughton
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This is one of my favorite children's books of all time. I cry every time I read it! The illustrations are beautiful and the whole story is lovely and moving. I look forward to the day when my own daughters are old enough to appreciate this book.
Luann
I remember reading this as a child. Something about a chubby, grubby little angel who has to chase after his halo and who bites his wing-tips when he is nervous made the story very memorable for me. I didn't enjoy it quite as much rereading it as an adult, but it is a very sweet Christmas story.
Helen-Louise
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The story I read my Sunday School class [4 year old to 10 year old kids] today. The teacher cried - oh well. But what struck me as I was reading it to the kids was the amazing, wonderful, delightful vocabulary. Words like Celestial and vociferously and precipitous, like ethereal, aureate [harps - I had to look that one up myself,] and consummate. This is a picture book, probably aimed at 4-5-6 year olds, but published in 1946. Wish we had books today that trusted our kids as much as this one doe ...more
Sandra Strange
I remember this book from kindergarten. I thought it was a cartoon, because I can remember movement, but I remember the specific illustrations of the copy I have, a reprint with the Leone illustrations. It made a real impression on me as a five year old, so when I came upon it as an adult, I snatched it up. I still treasure the sweet story of a typical boy now struggling to behave as an angel, who sacrifices his boyish treasures with heartwarming results.
Ruth
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
While technically a Christmas story, it doesn't really get to have anything to do with Christmas until the end. And considering this all takes place in heaven, the bar for entrance seems really low considering how uncharitable, rude, and judgmental some of those angels are. I can't imaging treating a child like that on earth, much less on heaven.
Kalyn Delillo
I used to love this book as a kid and since I decided to re-read all my fave picture books from my childhood, I was so excited to re-read this...let’s just say it’s different from what I remember. Nostalgia factor has me bumping it up to a 3 star instead of a 2.
P.S. Winn
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a heart warming story and great for Christmas time as the newest and a very young angel arrives in heaven. The littlest angel teaches all the truth about real giving, something that comes from the heart. Grab this one and read it out loud as a Christmas Tradition.
Karen
Sentimental Christmas story - but my husband has a soft spot for it from his childhood.
Robyne (grl-1der-reader)
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable
Kris Dersch
I've always had issues with the theology of this story and it is a bit on the long side. But it's a classic, so who's to argue.
Featured on the No Extra Words podcast Special #23.
Judy Ekblad
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed revisiting this classic
Andi
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my favorite Christmas book. A sweet story about the way our gifts are used, even when they seem inadequate
Hannah
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book from my childhood that I reread every year! Love the message
Cindy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, christmas
Written in the 1920s, this story reflects the times. It was always a favorite of mine & I enjoyed rereading it.
Michael Fitzgerald
Cute illustrations, but unfortunately not orthodox as to the definition of angels (humans do not die and become angels).
Amy Pond
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so beautiful. I’m crying so much. It’s so heartfelt and pure.
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read on openlibrary.org the edition ill. by Porfirio. Pretty, and sweet story. My memories of the Johnny Whitaker film are more impressive, though.
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: The Littlest Angel 1 3 Aug 01, 2014 04:16PM
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • Country Angel Christmas
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Candle
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Charles Tazewell was the author of books for children, many of them with a Christmas theme. He was born in Des Moines, Iowa, and he lived in Chesterfield, New Hampshire.