Start by marking “Die Flüsse von London (Peter Grant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Die Flüsse von London (Peter Grant, #1)

Die Flüsse von London

(Rivers of London #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  60,407 Ratings  ·  6,495 Reviews
Peter Grant ist Police Constable in London mit einer ausgeprägten Begabung fürs Magische. Was seinen Vorgesetzten nicht entgeht. Auftritt Thomas Nightingale, Polizeiinspektor und außerdem der letzte Zauberer Englands. Er wird Peter in den Grundlagen der Magie ausbilden. Ein Mord in Covent Garden führt den frischgebackenen Zauberlehrling Peter auf die Spur eines Schauspiele ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by dtv (first published January 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Die Flüsse von London, please sign up.
Anneke Actually, you can find the original English title "Rivers of London" if you copy the ISBN No. (which is 0575097566 BTW) into the search box.

Same if…more

Same if you prefer the much nicer English cover of book 2, "Moon over Soho" (ISBN 0575097604).(less)

Patrick
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Great book. Urban fantasy. You should read it.

Why? Here's why....

1. It's witty.

2. It's not cliché.

3. It's smart.

4. It's set in London, and written by someone who obviously knows London.

5. The main character has a great voice.

5. The language is great. (See below.)

6. It hasn't been dumbed down for the American audience.

Well… okay. They did change the title in the US from "Rivers of London" to "Midnight Riot." That was a shame.

But they left a lot of good stuff in. I don't think I've ever
Nataliya
Rivers of London is a fun mix of so many things that I love in my pleasure reads - the geekiness and the science, the dry British humor², and the magical/mythical/phantasmagorical stuff in a big city³. What's not to like?

My whole life, basically. Really.
² Examples - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, even some of China Miéville's stuff.
³ Examples - Harry Dresden books, China Miéville, Neil Gaiman, even Sir Terry.
"Carved above the lintel were the words SCIENTIA POTESTAS EST. Science points east, I wo
Julio Genao
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio by: Erika
city people be like:

description

first of all, i wasn't too keen on what happens to lesley, but i guess you can't make an omelette without—

*ducks flung shoe*

anyway.

this painfully-white guy i used to know read this book too, and he said aaronovitch's handling of race annoyed him, because while there is awesomeness like various london water goddesses being nigerians, aaronovitch himself is not nigerian, and people who speak authoritatively about races not their own are typically embarrassing and distasteful.

a
Felicia
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Well, I'm always looking for a great Urban fantasy book series, and this one is another one I'll be following with joy! Very much in the style of Harry Dresden, and my other fave, the Alex Verus series. This series is set in modern-day London, and features a black male lead character, who's a cop, and finds himself drafted into the magical investigation unit arm of the police. I love the sensibility of this book, it's incredibly dark at the same time, quippy! The worldbuilding is very interestin ...more
Bradley
I'm giving this top marks for an UF for several reasons.

1. Plain enjoyment! (This one should be obvious but it doesn't always work even with a lot of other titles I respect across the board. I may love bits and pieces of them, but then you come across writing that is a breeze to fall into and enjoy throughout, and then you know you've got a real winner on your hands. That's this one.)

2. Geeky, rather a loser London Police Constable with a bit of a new magical talent, a heavy steeping of modern s
Luffy
Peter Grant is a Probationary Constable, a term I wasn't familiar with until I began reading. At the beginning the London of Peter Grant is a normal one. The genre is not in Fantasy waters from the beginning. But then Grant witnesses a ghost at a crime scene.

The author reminds me of Ian Rankin when there is police procedure of the mudane type, and Jim Butcher when magic is involved. I liked how imperfect the hero, Peter Grant, is. There is, however, always a trade off. I found the writing style
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Midnight Riot is the kind of book that people like me, absolute anglophile and devoted BBC lover, couldn’t help but like. The humor and the texture to the narrative in this book reads delightfully British, but in a fashion that suggests that England isn’t just Jane Austen or Charles Dickens. It’s also Doctor Who, Blake’s Seven, Being Human, Law and Order: UK, and Luther. It’s upper crust and working class. It’s a mix of past and present. Even deeper, it’s the everyday lives of Britons, not all N ...more
Lois Bujold
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rivers of London (U.S. title: Midnight Riot) by Ben Aaronovitch, 2011

I received this book as a gift a rather long time ago. It sat in my to-be-read pile for far too long because, I am embarrassed to admit, of its cover, which looked dreary and literary.

I should instead have looked at the first page, which opens:

“It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West P
Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

I’m a fan of Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series, even though I got tired and stopped reading after #9. After a while the stories became too repetitive and I didn’t see any significant growth in Harry’s character. His smart-ass comments that were amusing in the earlier books started getting annoying towards the end.

In the hopes I would find a fun read similar to the Dresden books, I picked up Midnight Riot. It wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t a great one either. Peter Gr
Carol.
Thoughts on the book:
my review.

Thoughts on the audio version:

As many people have noted, Kobna Holbrook Smith is a fabulous reader. Turns out he is an actor and director is well, with a long list of tv credits, which is kind of a bummer because I hope he continues to have time for the Peter Grant series.

Holbrook Smith is clearly a talented voice actor who can understandably convey a range of London accents, from that of an 19th century itenerant to Nightingale's 'posh' early 20th century to curre
Annet
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was something different. It had to grow on me. Which, in the end it did. Fun characters, out of the box weird story, humor here and there and all playing in London, one of my most favorite cities in the world. Many streets I could envisage for me, especially Covent Garden, the prime place of crime. It is of course a fantasy story, a young man, starting out as a cop, turns into a learning wizard cop. No, it's not like Harry Potter.... it's kind of a weird fantasy story playing in Londo ...more
Megan Baxter
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too. Much. Fun.

But not too much. Just the right amount of fun. Ladies and gentleman, if you're looking for a relatively light read, with overtones of the theatre and English puppetry, and undertones of feuding rivers and power struggles, all sifted through the eyes of a police constable who has just discovered that magic is real, and he's been chosen to police it, then this is the book for you!

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enfo
Sam Quixote
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gaaaaawd, you know what I’ve just discovered? This is the first novel I’ve five-starred in nearly 20 GODDAMN MONTHS (the last being a re-read of Chuck Bukowski’s Pulp, thank you GR stats)!! The hell with it, this calls for an adult beverage - this is a motherloving EVENT! Join me, won’t you? I know you’re all secret alcoholics too… ah booze, you beautiful beast you… slurp…

Peter Grant is the London Metropolitan Police’s newest recruit, hoping for a fun, rewarding placement that’s not gonna
Richard Derus
UPDATE 27 June 2013: A TV series is on the way! Maybe 2014!

Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
“You put a spell on the dog," I said as we left the house.
"Just a small one," said Nightingale.
"So magic is real," I said. "Which makes you a...what?"
"A wizard."
"Like Harry Potter?"
Nightingale sighed. "No," he said. "Not like Harry Potter."
"In what way?"
"I'm not a fictional character," said Nightingale.”

2META4ME :D

I loved this little gem.

It was hilarious, snarky, well paced and good hearted. A funny, easily digestible read that is eager to delight the reader.

Where do I start with the many wa
Catie
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catie by: Regina
I have to admit that a moderate portion of my liking for this book is probably due to the fact that I am one of those Americans who is instantly charmed when faced with a page of British slang and references. I don’t know if it’s in the genetic memory or what, but I pathetically cannot help myself! Guh…it’s like thar speakin’ mah language but diffrint! However, this book isn’t just a compendium of British slang. I found quite a lot more to love within these pages.

Peter Grant is a young constable
Will M.
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: Carol.
Peter Grant dreams of becoming a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Being granted the dreadful assignment of Case Progression Unit, Grant did everything he could so that he may be promoted to detective. His uncanny ability of seeing ghosts was his ticket to his dream. Brutal murders lurk in the city and the gods apparently meddles too.

Peter Grant was really likeable, but only during the first half of the novel. I got bored after about 50% because nothing grand was happening. Nothing gru
Cyna
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
sigh

Goddammit. I wanted to like this one. I really, really, really did. It has a lot going for it. Midnight Riot, also known as Rivers of London across the pond, has, while not the most original premise, certainly an engaging voice. It's got that dry British humor going on, an initially likable hero, an intriguing world and diverse cast, a science(ish)-based magic system, and a POC protagonist who doesn't read like a white guy with a paint job. It was close, SO CLOSE, to enjoyable.

Unfortunately, it
Orient
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, who like magic, action and detectives
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
This night I had a problem to solve: to read this book till the end or to sleep. And I thought: hell, why do I need sleep when I’m on a date with Peter Grant <3

The idea to present an ordinary human, who reveals super powers in himself, is not quite new, but in “Rivers of London”, the plot, the setting, and the main characters are new and interesting to me and they definitely helped me to have an extremely fun reading experience.

Ben Aaronovitch surprised me with a wise plot, because I found a
new_user
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to new_user by: Dr. Who fans
Ben Aaronovitch is funny. Midnight Riot's appeal stems from protagonist Peter Grant's humor:
"Do we have a plan B?"
"Molly can do haemomancy," said Nightingale [...] "It might be possible to find [the suspect] that way."
"Why can’t we do it that way now?" I asked.
"Because the odds are five to one against you surviving the experience," said Nightingale.
"So, yeah," I said. "Probably best not to do it that way now, then."
Aaronovitch delivers on his claims and doesn't make the mistake of claiming t
Stamatios
The books starts off quite promisingly, with a mysterious murder in the centre of London, only to change its focus almost immediately and take us through a boring and totally mundane sub-plot about two opposing factions of rivers, whose petty conflict nobody cares about, least of all the reader. Apparently, they disturb "The Queen's Peace", so a scuffle amongst youngsters in Richmond is more important than a beheading in Covent Garden. Go figure...

So for the better part of the first half of the
Lyn
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
London’s Burning with a great urban fantasy series, beginning with this gem.

Ben Aaronovitch's 2011 novel, originally titled Rivers of London in the UK, starts the Peter Grant series of police procedurals that includes magic walking the lanes and etched in the stones.

Peter Grant’s Career Opportunities included a time in the police academy and he was ready for getting payed for playing Police and Thieves for real. Then he happens upon a ghost amidst some already strange occurrences and we’re off o
Lata
This was my second time through this book, and I enjoyed it even more. The first time, I listened to the talented Kobna Holdbrook-Smith introduce me to Peter Grant, Leslie May, Nightingale, and a variety of other characters. This time, I got a chance to carefully read the text through, and really admire Ben Aaronovitch's way with words.
I had a better grasp of the main mystery, and the little details that make bigger appearances in later instalments, too, this reread. (The benefits of reading, ve
Mike (the Paladin)
5 Silver Stars as opposed to Gold star....see the comments.

Another hard to rate book in that I can't really say I like it as much as my favorite books...but it it deserves more than 4 stars. So...5 stars, but not quite the top of my 5 star rating (?).

This is an urban fantasy, a genre that's become so chock full lately that you can't swing a kobold without hitting a new one. Most are(sadly) of the mediocre vein but every now and then you stumble on (or as in this case are directed by a friend on
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Note: This book is AKA Midnight Riot in the US. Review originally posted at The BiblioSanctum.

I didn't even get past a quarter of the way through this book before I thought to myself, "Okay, this one is totally going on my 'favorites' shelf." In a word, it was fun. So, so fun. I really can't think of any other book in recent memory that has made me laugh out loud so much.

It definitely helps if you're a fan of the kind of paranormal action-adventures by Jim Butcher or similar authors, but someho
Michael
I was suitably charmed but not wowed by this urban fantasy set in London. Yet the young hero, Constable Peter Grant captured my affection and respect and I believe from what I hear that the series gets better.

Rather than the flash and pizzazz shown by wizard Harry Dresden waging desperate war against legions of bizarre magical creatures in Butcher’s series, this tale thrives mostly on conventional police procedural efforts that home in on a single powerful ghost. By contrast, I found it easier t
Stephan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has magic in it! Yes, I know this is urban fantasy - I mean in the words. It's a combination of the british copper lingo and a sweet balance between a detective story, a guide into the spirit(s) of London and it's magical history and a pleasant british humour.

I was sucked right into the book from the very first pages, which was very pleasant after a little bit of literary resistance I had been encountering in my late choices.

Freshly baked Constable Peter Grant is on duty watching a mu
Sanaa
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 Stars] Things I liked about this book: the detailed writing, the unique mystery, the crazy ghosts, Grant NOT being a average white male, and just the overall depth of detail Aaronovitch goes into when describing London. I also loved how this book definitely feels distinctly "British," and I apologize if that is presumptuous of me to say (considering I am not in fact British). There is a lot to love about this book when you think about the story, and I can really see how the stories will jus ...more
Milda Page Runner
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can appreciate inteligent fantasy with a spark of british humour
Recommended to Milda by: Carol.
Wow! What can I say - I just found my favourite urban fantasy writer.
There is no fake bravado. There is no unsensible nearly suicidal notion to attack any bigger dog on sight which seems to be so common for urban fantasy heroes. Main character's voice is polite!, inteligent and sincere. And often funny, hilarious even. The story has just the right amount of action, suspence, humour, romance, horror, sarcasm, science and magic to make it an unbelievably hard to put down book.
There is a lot of bri
Nick
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can never keep the new shelf classifications straight, but this has to be a {moderately} dark urban fantasy. It's dark the way Harry Dresden is dark, not like Felix Castor or John Constantine. Bad things happen, but the world itself is not an absolute bastard which wants you to die with a pitchfork in your eye.

I read it. I enjoyed it muchly. I want more from Ben Aaronovitch, soon, please, because my next read is about free market economics and the false rhetorics of capitalism in the early 21s
  • London Falling
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • The Lamp of the Wicked (Merrily Watkins, #5)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Snake Agent (Detective Inspector Chen, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (8 books)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The October Man: A PC Grant Novella
“ I gave the prescribed Metropolitan Police "first greeting".
"Oi!" I said "What do you think you're doing?”
157 likes
“Carved above the lintel were the words SCIENTIA POTESTAS EST. Science points east, I wondered? Science is portentous, yes? Science protests too much. Scientific potatoes rule. Had I stumbled on the lair of dangerous plant geneticists?” 101 likes