Start by marking “The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing” as Want to Read:
The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing

The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Professor Abraham Van Helsing was the fictional creation of Bram Stoker for his dark work of fantasy Dracula--or was he?

Fragments of a recently discovered journal suggest otherwise.

For the first time, in his own words, the legendary vampire hunter tells his own story
- his background and early years
- his research in Rumania and the Mideast
- his medical work
-and most importa
Published May 1st 2004 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing

Nickname
Che prove abbiamo a sostegno dell'esistenza dei vampiri?
Ma soprattutto, che prove abbiamo, che escludano al 100 % l'esistenza di queste creature?
Abraham Van Helsing è realmente esistito?
La figura del vampiro è da sempre nell'immaginario culturale di moltissime popolazioni di varie epoche, come possono diversi popoli di diversi paesi avere fantasie "comuni"?

Tornando al libro, veramente interessante, che sia originale o meno contiene una verità fondamentale: Il vampiro (se esiste) è una bestia im

Kayla
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked up this gem at a book sale forever and a day ago. Since then it has sadly been sitting collecting dust. Mostly because books likes these are one of my weakness. Gothic tales are my favorite, especially the original stories from the Victorian era. So I'm always on the lookout for retellings, or add-ons, to those stories I grew up loving. The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing fit that bill to the letter. While packing for my trip it seemed like the perfect book to read in between w ...more
Candace
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It wasn't great but it did leave me intrigued
Uku
Apr 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not the worst I have red but it's really not somethiing I could recocnize for anyone who wants to read a good story... it's waste of money and time. But if you don't care about good story and want to say you red something then you can read it. And of course if you are young enough, obsessed about vampires, sparkling fairies or the real things and care noting about how, what, where and when, this is book for you.

Generally it was entertaining but still a dissapointment, proving that anything can b
Marsha
This “journal” catches just the right tone of secrecy, mounting emotion and inner revelation. We learn a great deal about Abraham Van Helsing—his scholastic passion, his curiosity, his impatience and occasional blunt tactlessness—but also about the shadowy creatures he is tracking. These vampires are a shadowy yet very real threat, striking without warning and seemingly with few weaknesses. They are malicious, ruthless and much like rabid dogs. They don’t need to trade blood with their victims; ...more
Preeti
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, vampires
"Professor Abraham Van Helsing was the fictional creation of Bram Stoker for Dracula, his dark work of fantasy. Or was he?"

With the potential for creating an incredible story, Kupfer's work instead fizzles out into nothing. So much potential!

The history of vampires goes back a long way, stretching into Eastern Europe in the 19th, and perhaps even further back, to the Crusades. Or so Kupfer - I mean, Van Helsing mentions in his journal - more and more history emerges as he researches further into
John Bruni
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Ultimately, for what this is, it's a fun read. It's interesting to see how Van Helsing's obsession with vampires began, and I think the style is pretty cool. It's a journal, which is in keeping with the structure of DRACULA. Even the connection with Kupfer's grandfather is kind of nice. And then, of course, there's the thing I was wondering about before I even started reading it: if the events of DRACULA are supposed to happen in the middle of this story, how is the real writer going to handle i ...more
Ken
Jan 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very poor attempt to flesh out the story of Van Helsing. A little more research could have gone a very long way. In fact, late in the book in one of the footnotes, the author speaks of his "shoddy scholarship" in regards to a particular issue. Unfortunately, "shoddy scholarship" was a theme that ran the length of this offering.

The author's understanding of Middle Eastern customs and cuisine were apparently derived from eating at a Mediterranean buffet. His knowledge of Middle Eastern
Nathan
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Featuring a unique layout, "The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing" is an interesting read but is not perfect. When I first saw the hardcover edition of this book I fell in love with it, the ruffled journal-like pages paired with beautiful illustrations, I thought this was going to be a delight to read, which it was at first. The first few chapters were excellent it was the latter chapters that were lacking. The beginning chapters of the story contained a lot of violence and eroticism that ...more
Bunny
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written as a series of journal entries with postscripts. I found it both entertaining and enlightening{in a manner}. Interesting for sure. I did read it in one afternoon. At first, I thought perhaps it a ya reader, due to its size and the size of print, but I am not sure that was the intended audience. I don't know that I would reccommend it to anyone to read, unless they just "liked" reading everything written on vampires. It was neither a huge tale, nor gory, nor romantic. It was ...more
Bonnie Owen
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
This work of fiction is presented in the form of a journal that was found by the author in his grandmother's home. The journal, as the title suggests, is by Abraham Van Helsing, and tells how he was first introduced to the world of vampires and the beginning of his quest to eradicate this "plague" from human existence. Its an interesting concept for a story, but there are some inconsistencies in the narrative timeline that are quite glaring. Overall, I wasn't really impressed with this book.
Eric
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
This is my second read in 10 years and I still like it. My copy is made of old paper to look like an old journal and there are a lot of beautiful illustrations in it. This is supposedly a real journal from Professor Van Helsing depicting his first contacts with vampires and Dracula. I very much like the classic and scientific angle of this book. Helsing is not an action heroes and this book is not about it. It is an easy and fast read, perfect for the october chill. If you wish to read Dracula w ...more
aaron
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
this is a novel that was written like a journal from the eyes of abraham van helsing, the famous vampire hunter from the dracula mythos. it is a good concept but not quite pulled off like i would like to see. it is a good idea but the execution falls a little short in the details and writing. a better book to read would be "abraham lincoln: vampire hunter." pick that up and leave this one down, unless you are really into the dracula story.
Larka Fenrir
Buona qualità sia di scrittura che di narrativa, il presunto ritrovamento del diario di Van Helsing interesserà sicuramente sia gli amanti del genere sia chi vorrà sempre credere nell'esistenza dei vampiri.
Scorrevole, curato ed interessante, si trovano sia spunti di lettura sull'argomento sia un diretto approfondimento nel racconto stesso; il tutto condito con tesi storiche intriganti e, nei limiti del possibile, verosimili.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Purportedly the found journal of the famous Dr. Van Helsing, this book chronicles his first encounters with vampires that results in the death of his wife, skips over the Dracula episode, and ends with a confrontation with vampires in the Middle East.
The spotty narrative is padded with footnotes from the author on vampire lore. Maybe I have monster fatigue, after the wretched movie about Van Helsing that came out last summer, but I found this story to be cliched and totally unoriginal.
Justin Ottolino
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. I personally haven't read many books in my life before this and I must say it has gotten me into reading a lot. Especially with other books written about Dracula. I highly recommend it as a starting point for those looking for books about the real stoker style vampires. The ones that don't sparkle. You won't be disappointed!
kat
Apr 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampiri, scemenze
Facciamo che non ho ancora letto Dracula (ma prima o poi non mi sfuggirà) e che quindi mi manca un pezzo per inquadrare il personaggio di Van Helsing.
Facciamo anche che chi ha scritto il diario, sia esso Van Helsing, Allen Kupfer o il primo che passava per la strada, doveva rileggerlo alla fine perché si contraddice più di una volta.
Potevo evitarlo, non mi sarei persa niente.
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: college-library
Van Helsing is a fictional character created by Bram Stoker, although this book is set out as though Van Helsing had written the journal himself. We follow Van Helsing on his journey across the world in search of vampires, I really liked the human aspect of this book and how ordinary people were expected to fight back against creatures vastly more powerful than themselves
Michael Lapage
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice quick little read (200 pgs) describing the events that thrust the world's most famous vampire hunter into his alternative profession. The tale of Dracula is mentioned briefly but his other exploits are the focus of this book.
Cindi Moss
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love books written as journals, and was hopeful for this one. but I believe the author transposed character names throughout the book, starting right at the beginning, and it was a huge distraction. the rest of the book was "eh" after that disappointment.
Jelena
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough on Van Helsing's side of the story of Vampires and Dracula. If your a fan of the supernatural and enjoy learning about vampires and the thought that Dracula once lived you will enjoy this book.
Young__Tulip
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Good idea, no very well executed. It's no The Historian.
Elisa
Awful awful book. Laughably awful, but even for kids, this book was pathetic! The writing was lame and the connection to Dracula, etc, was weak and forced.
Eilleen
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i've always loved this book!
Lerykan
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Molto carino, ti trasporta bene nella storia!
Consigliato!
Kandice
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
My youngest son and I read this at Barne's and Noble's since I wouldn't lend him the money to buy it! It was entertaining...Once! I'm still glad he didn't spend the money!
Marie
Dec 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Kind of fun, if you know Dracula. I don't remember it at all.
Melissa Graham
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun
This book is silly but fun if you enjoy Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Jen
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not at all what I thought it was going to be....
  • Don't Open This Book
  • The Altar of the Dead
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • Gilligan's Wake
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • The Rhetoric of Death
  • Dracula in London
  • Licks of Love: Short Stories and a Sequel, "Rabbit Remembered"