Start by marking “Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story” as Want to Read:
Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story

Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story

Published (first published February 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story

Start your review of Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story
Chrisl
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1980s, biog, sports, history, lila
10/19/17 - re-reading, a copy loaned from a Cal State U library.

quoting - preface
"This book is about one athlete. But it is also about American athletics, because there are few aspects of sport in this country that Connie Hawkins has not experience firsthand. The hope and despair of the ghetto schoolyard, the pressure of high-level high school competition, the cutthroat college recruiting, the gambling scandals, the blacklists, the legal battles--Hawkins has been through all of them. He has
Craig
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Connie Hawkins might well have been the best basketball player ever, but that will never be known because of the unfortunate problems that kept him out of the NBA for so long. Wolf wrote one of the best biographies I've ever read, not just one of the best sports-figure biographies, in this excellent portrayal of his rise from poverty to being black-listed to eventual vindication. I don't follow basketball much anymore, but I think that this is a book well worth reading for anyone interested in ...more
Kurt
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
A tremendous, riveting, often-heartbreaking account of schoolyard basketball legend/NBA star Connie Hawkins. Even though it's more than 30 years old, it's still an educational read about how the promise of sports stardom (both collegiate and professional) can betray so many talented inner-city kids. People like Hawkins paid dearly so that many years later, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, et al, could go straight to NBA fame and fortune without attending college.
Thomas Nahigian
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best basketball books ever written, The story of Connie Hawks fight to join the NBA. The Hawk played in the ABA for two years, then joined the Phoenix Suns for the 1969-70 NBA season.
T. Sullivan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best sports books ever, or heck, just one of the best books ever. Ahead of its time (copyright early 70's) in merging sports with the sociological problems of the inner city. David Wolf captures the rise, fall, and rise again, of ghetto superstar Connie Hawkins, who along the way gets shafted by the college game, and wrongfully banned by the NBA. A fantastic look inside the life of the NYC ghetto, street ball, and the struggles of a athletically gifted man, who just wants (and needs) ...more
J
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read for any basketball fan. Plus, if you have an affinity for old school hoops (as I do) its a real treat. I loved reading about all the old players, their games, and how they were perceived in their own era. The schoolyard stories are great, in particular the Hawks matchup with Wilt Chamberlain at the Rucker.

Hawks journey to the NBA, the focal point of the book, is remarkable and shocking. Interesting to see him grow as you continue to read.

The Hawks story is also a depressing
Mark Matthews
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Agree with some earlier reviews - interesting and tragic story of one of best basketball players ever, but gets bogged down in details of individual games [evidently ones that the author was present for].
Also, for me the book ended too soon - before his career ended. Good reporting on his early life and the specifics of how he was denied the opportunity to play in both college and the NBA. Brings in many famous players of the era.
Jon
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Connie Hawkins is a pretty remarkable story. From start to finish, it's incredible and Wolf does a good job of telling the story. The book gets tedious at times in details of games, sometimes making a season seem as if it is going in reverse, but Hawkins plight makes the book worth reading from start to finish.
Bap
Feb 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography, sports
I overstudied for my comprehensive exams at LSE which left me totally spent. We moved to Chapel Hill in the fall of 1973 and I began working on the gounds crew for UNC along with prison work release inmates including "Cool Daddy", a murderer and other unforgettable characters. I could only manage to read the Connie Hawkins story, which was ghost written no doubt, formulaic, and geared for a dull witted 14 year old. It took me about 6 weeks to finish it in my zombie state. Connie Hawkins grew up ...more
Steven
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best inspirational sports books ever. It's not just for fans of basketball it's about the struggle of life and never giving up on your dreams. You can get anywhere you want in life if you decide to not accept failure. If you want something that appear unattainable read this book... you will change your mind and go for it.
Oliver Bateman
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Although slow and uneven at certain points, this insider's look at the life of the unfairly maligned Connie Hawkins is both a moving story of redemption as well as an excellent social history of professional basketball in the late 60s and early 70s.
Patrick
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the very best sports biographies ever written. Well researched and blunt; painting an honest yet not always flattering picture of Hawkins. You come away feeling you understand both the man and what he went through, inflicted by others as well as by himself.
MBS
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sully-shelf
Great read. Book given to me by Bob Lobelson.
Ralph
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting story of the colorful life of an NBA star, who was also a star at the "other" basketball - street ball.
I remember enjoying at the time.
Brook Zelcer
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: basketball
The story of the great Connie Hawkins, compellingly told by David Wolf and Hawkins himself. Will always be one of the great- - and most important- - hoops books.
R.K. Byers
Sep 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book! they railroaded this dude...
Thomas
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best sports books I've ever read. A compelling read especially if you like basketball.
M. Newman
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A great biography of Connie Hawkins.
Mike
Tim
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Underworld
  • Machines of Loving Grace: The Quest for Common Ground Between Humans and Robots
  • Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy
  • Hitler in Los Angeles: How Jews Foiled Nazi Plots Against Hollywood and America
  • Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do and What It Says About Us
  • A Fan's Notes
  • Cosell
  • Goodbye to Berlin
  • The Night Stalker
  • Transit
  • Viral Misery: Book One
  • Viral Misery: Miracles (Book 2)
  • 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
  • Friday
  • Job: A Comedy of Justice
  • The Star Beast (Heinlein's Juveniles, #8)
  • The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (The World As Myth)
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words: Volume 1