Start by marking “Writing & Selling Your Memoir” as Want to Read:
Writing & Selling Your Memoir

Writing & Selling Your Memoir

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
There's more to writing a memoir than just writing your life story.

A memoir isn't one long diary entry. Rather, it's a well-crafted story about a crucial, often exceptionally difficult, time in someone's life. Writing & Selling Your Memoir talks readers through the process of telling their most personal stories in a compelling, relatable, and readable manner. Unlike ot
Published July 9th 2011 by Writer's Digest Books (first published June 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Writing & Selling Your Memoir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing & Selling Your Memoir

Jay
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I've read several memoir writing books, and this is one of the best. The first two thirds of the book deals with writing focus, structure, voice, setting parameters, and why write a memoir. The third third deals with writing, setting goals, finding time, avoiding distractions, working with others, and getting published. Numerous examples are presented though out the text. Additional examples are listed in each chapter. This book is very succinct and motivational, although I'm still contemplating ...more
Jer
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved moving through the example memoirs with the author. So much of what she shares lines up to what I've also noticed, the new ideas make a lot of simple sense. Regarding selling: there are tips in here for a online writer of any kind.

I also really appreciate the nudge to read/listen to Stephen King's "On Writing"
Lee Button
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very helpful volume. Great insights on the writing process for any hopeful or experienced writer.
Dorothy
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-26-13
She is a literary agent and reads all the memoir books. She listed several, gave a synopsis, quoted a paragraph and described why it works. Still waiting to get ideas from her since I 11% done. I worked outside yesterday so could not, but it is going to rain today so will.

I bought this from amazon and onto my ipad through kindle interpreter. I like making notes and highlighting on my ipad. Getting good ideas and memoir books to read.

I am 55% and she is now trying to motivate me. I don't need th
Rhonda Rae Baker
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a resource that every memoir writer should have in their library. One to dog-ear, highlight, and reference at all levels of writing.

It called me from the Barnes & Noble book shelf when I was perusing something to instruct and inspire my writing. This book was recommended by my memoir instructor after I had purchased it...confirmation enough for me. After devouring it, I now know why this book was mentioned for insight.

I can't tell you how much is in here...let's just say, everything.
Barbara
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Paula Balzer cuts through the waffling about that any first-time memoir-writer engages in as they sit down at the computer to begin their journey.
First, Paula asks the right questions to help you establish your goal and define the parameters of your own book. Then she generously offers clear, concise directions to help you keep that focus on your goal.
Writing & Selling Your Memoir is an excellent book for any would-be author, or any author, for that matter!
Excellent, very well-written, and
Kathy Sechrist
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I've got three "writing a memoir" books on my shelf - this book is the only one I've read to the end. The author used prime examples from other memoirs that I could easily understand and "get the point" from, and the exercises at the end of each chapter allowed me to have a great start into my own. I finished the book with a blueprint and structure for my memoir and insight to how to market myself and my book.
M.B. Dallocchio
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With limited local resources to assist me in polishing the second draft of my memoir, I went to my local bookstore to search for a helpful guide in creating more structure withing my manuscript. Out of all the different books I had sifted through, this one, by far, was the best. From no-nonsense, real world advice to suggestions on how to overcome mental barriers, this book elucidates and validates feelings of writers in this somewhat lonesome genre.

Levaria
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found it to be insightful especially since it is written from an agent's point of view. I also found it inspiring. I even though I'm not focused on writing my memoir at the moment, there are pieces of advice that can be used for all writers. the last part of the book, about the getting an agent to publishing was perhaps the most universal section.
Carissa
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers
Loved this book! It was very informative, had great color, and covered just about anything that you would want to know when just starting out. She has a blog and a Facebook page that I have joined. highly recommend reading the book first, if you are thinking about beginning your Memoir. Thank you Paula!
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A huge time saver! Without reading this book, I would have wasted years writing thousands of pages without any particular strategy. Paula guides you in selecting a hook, key themes and "scenes" in your life on which to focus, starting and ending points, and gives valuable information on selecting an agent.
Susan
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of books about memoir-writing and everyone has an interesting take and I found this one particularly interesting because she used lots of specific examples. Plus, as an agent she has a different outlook on the whole thing. Definitely worth reading.
Stephen Serwin
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice, clearly presented. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is seriously considering writing a memoir.
Barbara Gareis
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Paula has a great sense of humor. I found her advice to be honest, straight-forward, intriguing, and useful.
Donna J