Start by marking “Shades of the Past (EMS Heat, #9)” as Want to Read:
Shades of the Past (EMS Heat, #9)

Shades of the Past

(EMS Heat #9)

All paramedics know how dangerous their job can be. Kiefer just never expected to experience that truth so early in his career when he lost his cousin and job partner to a tragic accident. Now floundering in both life and his role as a paramedic, Kiefer is in jeopardy of losing everything he worked so hard for. In all his years as a Pontiac City Fireman, Ray’s seen a lot o ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by eXtasy Books

To ask other readers questions about Shades of the Past, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of the Past

A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars rounded up to 3!

Shades of the Past picks up exactly where the previous book in the series ended. When Ray arrives at the place of the explosion and sees Kiefer kneeling beside the death body of his cousin, he needs to help. As careful as he can, he approaches the young man and takes care of him as good as he can. However, Kiefer is completely catatonic and isn’t able to react to Ray.

A good five months later, Kiefer is totally withdrawn. Crushed by a heavy feeling of guilt, he isn’t ab
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Pretty good, although really short it feels more complete than some of the previous books in this series. I would have given five stars if more of the relationship development would have been shown. there is like 5 months of build up that the reader doesn't see and i would have liked to see more of that
V
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars, Well, what can I say? I love Stephani Hecht’s books a lot, but her stories are getting shorter and shorter.
I feel the story is like a horse race that it need to get to the end real fast. Mind you it is still a nice story, but...
Alina
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Liked it.
Very nice hurt-comfort, simple, but enjoyable story and despite being short, I've been satisfied with the way the relationship progressed.
Janna
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice comfort-and-heal love story with added bonus of men in uniform (paramedic and fireman). Kiefer and Ray are a cute and hot couple with a good chemistry. Wished this story had been longer.
Nic
The EMS Heat Series by Stephanie Hecht

I’m reviewing this entire series in one go because they all have similar themes. Each book is short and sweet – little bite-sized stories when you want to pick up something quick to read (I read each one in one sitting).

This is one of those series (previously called St Michael’s) that centres on a group of men who work in emergency services. It is a glorious combination of EMTs, firemen, nurses, doctors…

Each book is relatively short (<100 pages) and make
Louan
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z00-aug-ult
A bit too rushed for me
Honey
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Since loosing his cousin in a house fire, Keifer has sworn to himself that the pain of loosing someone you love isn’t worth allowing anyone that level of vulnerability again. Even if that means staying away from a certain fireman that gets him all hot and bothered. When his health and job start to suffer from his grieving, his friends decide its time for an intervention.

Ray hasn’t been able to get Kiefer out of his mind since he helped him after the accident that killed his cousin. Even though
Tam
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I somehow missed this one in the series. Picked it up today. It's very short and sweet. It's typical of what I expect but sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood for. Poor Kiefer is still suffering following the death of his partner/cousin and is about to lose his job if he doesn't get it together. His friends push him towards Ray and a road trip to return the dead cousin's things to her family finally let him get back on track. Although why he just didn't send them via Fed Ex, collect, I ...more
CrazyMoo
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.

I don't know if it was just me but it seemed like the book was incomplete. I shook my reader when the book finished, wondering whether I'd gotten my hands on a dodgy copy or not.

Thank you to the author for this book.

Chris
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, ebook, romance, 2011, done
Good m/m romance about an EMT whose partner and cousin died on the job because she wouldn't listen to him. He blames himself for her death and isn't doing very well at all. (I wanted just a bit more in each of the later scenes in the book.)
Meggie
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
This part was totally off. I simply couldn't connect to Kiefer and that was because of the plot. Which was to undeveloped and to short. Ray was interesting guy, but we didn't get to know him at all, only about his fixation on Kiefer. I didn't like it.
Rachel Emily
I love how Stephani Hecht can always make you love a character no matter how long or short the story is. While I admit that this isn't my favorite of the series, I continue to absolutely enjoy her writing and look forward to the next one!
Dina
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I give this book a 2.5 because there was a lot of errors in it. If I notice the errors then it had to be bad.
Rhowena
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5
Eva
A sweet short story.
More background info on both MC's would have been nice (especially Ray) since by the end of the book we still don't know much about them.
Charneen
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-books
a real look at how dangerous a job can truly be
Sofía
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Gwendolyn
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
HOLY WHIPLASH!

I'm a closed off basket case NO WAIT I'M IN LOVE AND THE WORLD IS RIGHT! Maybe I shouldn't have read this and not the rest of the books in the series?
ReviewerLarissa
Sweet easy read. I would have liked to see a little more of the characters!
Janie
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Thankfully Ray pulled Kiefer out of his funk before he lost everything. Wish this one had been longer though.
Stephanie
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, romance
Bdbaficionada
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Again to short and rushed. More so then the last book.
Lily
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice continuation of the EMS series. As with all the others I just wish it were longer.
Ter
Jess Gabriel
Jul 17, 2011
Gwengwel
Sep 23, 2011
  • Tyler's Cowboy (Cowboy Lovin' #1)
  • Face Value (Sanctuary, #3)
  • Tinder (Firefighters, #5)
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • Scarred (Cattle Valley, #18)
  • The Soldier and the State Trooper (The Soldier and..., #1)
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • His Hero Anthology
  • Handcuffs and Headlocks (Rawlings Men #3)
  • River of Need (Tennessee Cops, #4)
  • A Luminous Touch (Senses and Sensations, #3)
  • Beyond Moonlight (Lucky Moon, #1.5)
  • Unforgiven (Fae, #3)
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Puppy, Car, and Snow (Ryan & Scott, #3)
Stephani Hecht is a happily married mother of two. Born and raised in Michigan, she loves all things about the state, from the frigid winters to the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. Go Wings! You can usually find her snuggled up to her laptop, creating her next book or gorging on caffeine at her favorite coffee shop.

When she’s not running around like crazy, trying to get her kids to their various ac

EMS Heat (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)
  • Man Down (EMS Heat, #2)
  • Lights and Sirens (EMS Heat, #3)
  • Priority One (EMS Heat, #4)
  • Code Blue (EMS Heat, #5)
  • Red Lights and Silver Bells (EMS Heat, #6)
  • High Flow (EMS Heat, #7)
  • Three-Alarm Fire (EMS Heat, #8)
  • In His Hero's Shadow (EMS Heat, #10)
  • Life Over Limb (EMS Heat, #11)