Start by marking “Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now” as Want to Read:
Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now

Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
"Awealth of inspiration and practical tips for enjoying the Kingdom of God, thePure Land of the Buddha, now." —Thich Nhat Hanh, bestselling author of Peace Is EveryStep

"Fornewcomers to Buddhism (and non-Buddhists interested in universal wisdom!) and‘old hands’ at practice . . . [Das] promises nothing less than a liberatedlife, freed from angst over the tyranny of time, tho
Published May 24th 2011 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Buddha Standard Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha Standard Time

Michele Harrod
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in Buddha Standard Time that's for sure - it has taken a while, but it has felt like dipping into a quiet meditation session with each chapter. This is really beautifully written. I simply get to the end of these sorts of books, and I despair - because I can't understand why we don't teach children a lot of these practices and principles at school.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a nerd. I enjoyed trigonometry and calculus, but neither have served me one dot in my adult life. I left sc
If you’ve ever felt stressed out, overworked, under pressure, underslept, and as though there are not enough hours in the day, this book is for you. Lama Surya Das understands where you’re coming from and can provide you with the tools you need to live in the now, slow down your crazy fast-paced life, and find time in unexpected places. Not only will you slow down, you’ll also become more efficient, more productive and happier if you take time for meditation, reflection, and yourself. Practice e ...more
Aims McCabe
My first official audiobook! This had a lot of good tips and tricks for being more mindful and present, and the narrator's voice was very soothing. I find it very awesome that I finished an entire book while at work, it makes me feel very accomplished!
Viv JM
I found this a little disappointing really. There are some nice meditative practices explained, and some interesting scientific theory about the benefits of meditation. Other than that, I didn't feel it offered anything very astounding and was a little too lacking in the Buddha aspect of "Buddha Standard Time" for me personally. It had a self-help-for-stressed-out-executives vibe about it, which wasn't really what I was looking for! Not a bad book, but not exactly life changing either. I think i ...more
I enjoyed the cross cultural and religious references in this book which really helped make it accesible to people who do not necessarily believe in Buddhism. I did however think that the author wasn't always qualified to use draw certain scientific conclusions from evidence that he had gathered, probably, in short articles or from newspapers.

The methods of meditating were useful and should help anyone who reads the book. Overall I think it is an enlightening experiance and would definately rec
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lama Surya Das is an enlightened thinker, teacher and writer. Buddha Standard Time is a joy to read.I highly recommend this book to everyone who needs help de-stressing and enjoying the time in a day again.
Awesome book. Reminded me of many things that I learned on my yoga retreat this summer. Minfulness and living in the present moment is the key to happiness.
Alain Burrese
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the hustle and bustle of today's world, it seems that there is never enough time, and the stress of trying to juggle everything as we worry about the past and feel anxiety about the future keeps us from living the life we really want to enjoy. And while there are many “time management” books that can help, none are quite like “Buddha Standard Time: Awakening To The Infinite Possibilities Of Now” by Lama Surya Das.

Drawing from Buddhist wisdom, this book will appeal to Buddhists and non-Buddhis
Bryce Holt
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A life-changing reminder of how we perceive time and its effects incorrectly in the modern world. Lama Surya Das is a Jewish Long Islander converted to Buddhism back in the 60's/70's, so his relationship to growing up in an American lifestyle, converting to Buddhism and then reestablishing himself into the American landscape with his Buddhist practices proved utterly fascinating to me.

You know, this book helped me breathe. I realized just how little I was focusing on breathing, and that slight
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Stop and smell the roses.

Choose your relationship with the universe from the menu of any religion or philosophy, leaving out the parts that dwell on the past of stress you about the future.

Now stop and smell the roses some more.

Snark aside, I actually thought this was a decent book for bits and bobs about how to dwell in the present.

ETA: Okay, that was a damn with faint praise sort of review, and this book deserves better than that. Case in point, this morning when I was mentally going o
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
There are some good points in this book, but I was hoping for a much richer and deeper exploration of time. Basically the book talks about ways the standard aspects of Buddhism (meditation, etc.) can affect how you perceive time. But the focus is more on alleviating stress and therefore caring less about time. It's a fairly basic introduction. I wish the author had focused more on his own mediation experiences and less on telling us about secondhand sources on neuroscience and meditation, and ot ...more
Linda Hollingsworth
How to make the most of every moment would be an alternate title for this wonderful book by Lama Surya Das; he paraphrased it as, "being there while getting there, every single step of the way." Great wisdom unfolds throughout this book in a way that not only turns the light on for us, but also shines that light on the path. He does this with clear description that stimulates self-recognition and exercises that allow us to practice the change we want in our lives. I've already read this book sev ...more
Repetitive, too long, and a bit too wishy-washy and spiritual for me. This also took me a long while to read. I lost interest halfway through and really only made myself read the rest of it (again, repetitive). Although this is a short book, it probably could have been shorter.

There are some good ideas and practices in this book, but overall I didn't love it, or Surya Das's writing style. But, I think I will try and take some of the ideas from this book and try and incorporate them into my life
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting discourse on various methods, mostly involving meditation, of controlling stress and finding harmony in one's life by focusing on the present. Most of the ideas are quite practical, although there is a certain amount of "technical" Buddhist material. There is also the normal profusion of anecdotal material, included to make the lessons more palatable (and salable), and to make a book out of what could otherwise have been a medium length article.
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good for me. It's the kind of book I will keep handy at home. Some of the breathing and simple meditation exercises are just right for me. I don't see myself getting into lengthy meditation sessions, but short meditation and relaxation practices are something I really value. Also the idea that some of my regular daily activities can become more meaningful if I approach them with more purpose and intentionality.

Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
Much of this book is common sense, strategies that we know of but cannot seem to bring ourselves to do here in the 21st century. I loved the emphasis on small, easily attainable action steps. It reminded me that even in the busy life of a preschool teacher, there are moments when I can "breathe, smile, relax." I especially love the constant connection back to the natural world. And I will be sharing this book with others.
Christopher Kijowski
I have always enjoyed the Lama's writing. It is simple and straightforward which works well for most of us because we complicate things so easily. The ideas contained within the book are simple to follow. They do work if you will only do the work. Many of us purchase a book such as this expecting to find long lasting answers; answers which allow us to continue to cruise through life as if on cruise control.
This book is totally not what i thought it would be, and i'm not sure how i feel about it. Yes there's lots of good information and good ideas in it. But it feels cobbled together, ad-hoc out of a therapy bargain bin. He does have some excellent points as to how we experience time, and how we can reclaim it for our own sanity and spirituality. Just be sure to bring a sieve along when you read it so you can winnow out what you need and let the rest go.
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't have anything new in the mindfulness world, but it did have some good reminders. I tried to read it slowly - a few pages a day on the train - so that I could stretch out the mindfulness reminders over time. Recommend if you're looking for a refresher. If you're looking for something new, this isn't the book for you.
J. Whitley
When I first ordered this book I expected more of a focus on meditation. While meditation is part of the book it comes across more as a time management book. Lama Surya Das gives good examples of how meditation can benefit one's life. It is a good book even if it is more business like that I prefer.
Audrey Custer
This is a terrific book - lots of exercises to improve meditation, mindfulness, and compassion/loving-kindness practices.
I took notes, and have incorporated a few of the lama's suggestions into my daily life.
I recommend this for anyone interested in mindfulness, buddhism, or self-improvement.
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deep-thoughts
I just started reading the intro to this book and it had me hooked. A very thoughtful and introspective book for believers and non-believers. One of those books you will buy not only for yourself to refer to and reread but to give to friends. The author feels like an intimate friend by the time you finish the book. What a guy! I need to stop typing and go meditate now. Breathe in!!
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was much in the book that I really liked, and other times the things he talked about were a little too "out there" for me. Good though and I learned some valuable things. Read it and discussed it with others.
This is the Tricycle Book Club October selection and the author Lama Surya Das is participating in the book discussions online.
Kevin Dang
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindful Moments: Breathing Bardo
Slowly breath in, hold, energizing, intensifying, harmonizin Navbel chakra, Hara(below navel)
Slowly breath out, holdempty self, experience
Repeat & let out an ahhh...

This moment, right now, is perfect, the golden eternity.
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Absolutely fantastic! Although not new information, it is intriguing and well written. No matter your religion, if you are interested in breaking out of your routine and living in the present, it's a must read.
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it brought me back to sanity at a time i needed to be reminded of what is important in life and less focused on the craziness that is life.
Insightful book. Helpful for a fellow writer and teacher who would like to share the teachings of happiness and well-being in our "busy-body" society.
Nathan J.
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another definitive guide to finding Buddha in everyday life. Lama Surya Das is a true spiritual master accesible by all.
Gabriel Clarke
Thin, repetitive, trite, lacking in any substantial value. Well-meaning.
  • The Power of an Open Question: A Buddhist Approach to Abiding in Uncertainty
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
  • Your True Home: The Everyday Wisdom of Thich Nhat Hanh: 365 days of practical, powerful teachings from the beloved Zen teacher
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom
  • Being Upright: Zen Meditation and the Bodhisattva Precepts
  • The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love & Compassion
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • The Buddha In Daily Life: An Introduction to the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Stepping Out of Self-Deception: The Buddha's Liberating Teaching of No-Self
  • Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
Lama Surya Das is one of the foremost Western Buddhist meditation teachers and scholars, one of the main interpreters of Tibetan Buddhism in the West, and a leading spokesperson for the emerging American Buddhism. The Dalai Lama affectionately calls him “The Western Lama.”

His most recent book is Make Me One with Everything: Buddhist Meditations to Awaken from the Illusion of Separation. He is well
More about Lama Surya Das...

Nonfiction Deals

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99
“When we ground ourselves in the present moment, we spontaneously connect better with others. We become more responsive and less reactive, listening more deeply and speaking with greater clarity.” 0 likes