Start by marking “The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics” as Want to Read:
The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics

The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics

The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics is a comprehensive reference work dealing with all aspects of its subject: history, types, movements, prosody, and critical terminology. Prepared by recognized authorities, its articles treat their topics in sufficient depth and with enough lucidity to satisfy the scholar and the general reader alike. Entries vary in ...more
Published May 9th 1993 by Princeton University Press (first published March 1st 1993)

Start your review of The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
Anselm
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A 21st century update would be useful, but this is a bad ass read for the specialist and spoonist alike, even if some of the entries are wildly uptight (though that also makes them rather interesting from the perspective of one who understand that free verse (Prince) defeated formalism (Michael Jackson) rather handily.....the analogy fails once Prince joins the Jehovah's Witness flock, but maybe that's the fate of the free versers ultimately as well.
Tana
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A "must have" for scholars and aspiring writers of poetry; those who wish to explore more fully the myriad forms and theories of poetry, and to track its metamorphoses through several thousand years of human history. This book offers specific elements of the poetic tradition in alphabetic order. This is a great reference book.
TC
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
uh, i haven't exactly read the entire thing.
Melody Schwarting
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This resource is invaluable. It's helpful in reading, writing, and criticizing poetry. I use it more frequently than most other reference books of any kind. Even for those who do not engage with poetry creatively, it's a fantastic critical resource for understanding poets/poetry in context--e. g., looking at writers in the context of their movements and referencing uses of their forms/styles/methods.
Scott Avery
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Short enjoyable read
globulon
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was given to me as a gift at a time when I was very into poetry, both reading and writing. At that time I would read this a lot. Flipping through it and reading random headings that caught my eye or looking up specific terms to see what they had to say. All in all it was a quite positive experience and I learned a lot. I guess my only criticism would be that at times it seemed to verge into 'theory' a bit too much for me, (but then I don't have much tolerance for what I understand about it, ...more
Stephanie Graves
This is really an invaluable resource for anybody studying poetry. And of course, I haven't read it cover to cover per se, but I sure reference it a lot.
Xenophon Hendrix
super-helpful-idea-machine-definer.
Rich
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
If you're interested in writing poetry, you simply must own this book. Sure, it's very expensive, but it's one of the most useful resources you'll have on your bookshelf.
Sam
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it

This is the tome of all answers. I love teaching my students to read the entries, training for reading the OED.
Mandy
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
A very comprehensive list of terms. Definitions are historical as well as literary, which makes it an extremely useful text. Definitely worth the money I spent!
Allyssa
Aug 05, 2007 rated it liked it
useful, but when you look up "poet"-what is going on there?
Ambuj

• Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • Selected Poems
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Pygmalion
  • American Pastoral (The American Trilogy, #1)
  • How to Approach and Understand the Quran
  • فقه السنة
  • The `Abbasid Revolution
  • Purification of the Soul: Concept, Process and Means
  • جامع العلوم والحكم في شرح خمسين حديثا من جوامع الكلم
  • The Four Imams And Their Schools: Abu Hanifa, Malik, Al Shafi'i, Ahmad
  • The Canonization of Al-Bukhari and Muslim: The Formation and Function of the Sunni Hadith Canon
  • دلائل الخيرات