Start by marking “Tanka Tanka Skunk!” as Want to Read:

Tanka Tanka Skunk!

Rhyming has never been so much fun as in Steve Webb's bold, new picture book, which encourages children to read aloud, following the easy and catchy rhythm of the text.

"Skunka Tanka
Skunka Tanka
Tanka Tanka Skunk!
They've got the beat, and so do their friends."

"Meet Tanka and his friend, Skunk. When you say their names together, they sound like drums!"

Steve Webb's innovative
Published June 1st 2004 by Orchard (first published August 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tanka Tanka Skunk!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tanka Tanka Skunk!

Start your review of Tanka Tanka Skunk!
Les Wilson
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice book for our family read. It says it’s a rhyming book, but I can’t rhyme tanka with skunk.
Sue Read
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-for-phonics
Super for Phase One phonics - plenty of rhythm - you have to tap, clap, stamp, dance, shake and bang along to this one!
Grace Abwooli
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tanka Tanka Skunk by Steve Webb is one of my personal favourites. Tanka is the elephant and his friend Skunka a skunk. The book doesn’t follow a story or plot of some sort, but is more about words, musicality and rhythm.

The illustrations are vibrant, colourful and eye catching. Also, the background stripes are cleverly designed to help keep the beat as one reads. The book also teaches children the names of different animals such as: panda, panther, tiger, zebra, alligator, fox, tiny little hair
Tharema Alim
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tanka Tanka skunk written by Steve Webb was a book I was introduced to when I was working in a primary school and I used it in my phonics lessons when teaching them syllables. It is filled with pictures of different animals and insects such as polar bear, tiger and caterpillar, and it captivates the reader with all the different colours and also helps them learn the different animals at the same time.
The book starts off with “stamp your feet to the skunka tanka beat”, in which you have to stamp
Nasima Begum
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm an adult and i loved this book! It made me want to read the book out aloud with the rhythm. This book is very good! It's about an elephant called Tanka and skunk called Skunka. It goes through the book with lots of different animals and in some pages what noises some animals make. The book is a musical genre book, full of rhythm and how to use syllables. It is very visual and colourful. I liked that it was fun to read and i think children will engage with this book. It meets one of the Key S ...more
Busy Mummy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. Can not help but smile and giggle with the rhythm and beats. This book supports children’s phase one of phonics or a fun music session discovering rhythm and syllables in words. Children and adults alike will be beating, jumping, stamping and clapping with a carnival of animals in a fun, sociable and engaging learning experience.

Definitely a must have! :)
J
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book with a good rhythm.
Tracy Morton
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a great book for teaching children about syllabbles! I would like to read this while clapping the sylabbles but the problem will be holding the book! I would be fun to have this on a chart.
M.J.
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this and just had to write a review for it. It's been years since I first read this and to this day, I can still quote loads of it (I know, perhaps now the best endorsement when it has so few words in its!) However, my kids loved it, and I loved it. So please, give it a chance and then, in ten years time, you'll still be quoting pages of it!! My favourite line is 'ant eater, ant eater, BIG BLUE WHALE' said in a very LOUD VOICE!
Rebecca
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is all about words as rhythm and is great fun to read out loud. Keep in mind for learning syllables, reading with rhythm sticks or drums, and using with a music & movement program. If you know anyone who plays the tabla or "talking drum," that would be an amazing tie-in. ...more
Cosette
Not a book with words - a score written with notes!
Katie Edwards
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-21-30
Tanka Tanka Skunk! is a rhyming story about Tanka the elephant and his friend Skunka! The duo loves to sing and use drums to jam to their tunes. The book contains a lot of expressions and engaging pictures!
I gave this book a 5 due to how much of an easy and fun read it is for children. The students are introduced to a lot of different animals as well as rhyming patterns!
I would use this book in a K-1 classroom as a read aloud or to have in my classroom library. I would use the book to help teac
Della
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tanka Tanka Skunk was a lot of fun to read and my 3yo nephew was fully engrossed! My nephew's bilingual and is only just starting to form full words so it was great to read this book with him and use the musical drum beat theme to identify syllables in different animal names. My favourite bit is when you can play with speed and volume by changing to a whisper when the animals go to sleep and then going really loud when they wake up again - when we read it a second time he remembered this bit and ...more
Mathew
More of a picture book than a picturebook, Webb has written here something excellent - a book that asks you to get up and dance to the beat of the poem. Not only is it PERFECT for anyone wanting to explore Phase 1 phonics and syllabic awareness but it also just has a darned funky beat to it too. I read it several times last night to my boys (or their request) and we were all up 'stomping our feet to the Skunka Tanka beat!'
Vivian
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Use this as a clapping wiggle break for story times featuring any of these:
elephant, skunk, kangaroo, caterpillar, tiger, cheetah, panda, polar bear, lemur, llama, zebra, badger, bat, gorilla, yak, beaver, otter badger, dingo, donkey, duck, panther, alligator, fox, armadillo, ox, ant-eater, whale, pig, and rooster.

Wow!
mary dewley
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This would be great to use for story hour with drumming afterwards! Children will move to the beat of the elephant and skunk as they learn about different animals. It teaches children different syllables and phonics as the names are read out loud to the beat. Very fun for all ages!
There's no real storyline to this book, but the rhymes are great and kids will enjoy listening to their grownups reading the tongue twisters aloud, especially if you read it a second time going faster and faster. A great group read aloud for a music or animals theme.
Courtney Bursnell
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to use for many different reasons in the classroom. It could be a great resource to practice phonics, but also explores rhythm and rhyme that could get the whole class chanting along and stomping their feet along!
Jess Allen
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age 3-5
Bright and bold colourful pages. Terrific fun to read aloud and use for group activities
Children can engage and it’s easy to follow with the rhyme

It introduces young children to rhythms which they can change their tone and shout out words
Ashleigh Hawkes
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our lecturer read this to us during a lecture for our PGCE course. I found it fun and engaging. It really allows you to think of the sound and rhythm of words. We were encouraged to make rhythm of our own words and create our version, I imagine this would be a fun and interactive activity for children and teaches them about syllables inadvertently.
Lauren
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun story to start to get you thinking about how language can be really playful. It would make a lovely picture book for early readers and would be perhaps useful for children to explore rhythm and come up with their own song using words or themes that are important to them.
Catherine MacLeod
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for thinking about phonics. Lots of rhythm and the use of sound to get kids enjoying reading out loud. Great illustrations too, which enhance the books and allow kids to make connections between the words, sounds and images. Would definitely read to younger children.
Tess Jones
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, great for learning new vocabulary for younger audiences and interactive for any age! I really like the way the book will never be read the same twice, different rythems and voices can be used each time! What a wonderful book to use to wake up a class!
Caroline Dougan
This book is excellent for teaching about syllables and also great fun! The rhythm of the words just makes you want to get up and dance to the great beat! It also has so many different animals in which children always love!
Connie T.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read-aloud chock full of onomatopoeia and rhythm.
Cara Byrne
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A rhythmic animal celebration. Add a group of preschoolers, wooden sticks to beat the ground with, and an enthusiastic librarian to read the books, and you have a party. A library storytime read.
Georgie Haynes
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Explores beat, pulse and rhythm. Looks at chronological order.
Kimberly
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! Used for a "music" family storytime on 3/27/18. The kids got a kick out of it.
Mely
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
a fun silly book that has a great rhythm and beat. A good book to get your kiddo moving and using his/ her imagination.
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story with a beat. Great for little storytime, and for teaching rhythm and rhyme.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Beegu
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • Frog on a Log?